Batter problem on GB 3G - 4g back and forth

Steve H

Reaction score
Battery problem on GB 3G - 4g back and forth

Yesterday my son upgraded to a MAXX. Out of the box it was still loaded with GB. He wasn't going to do the upgrade to ICS until he got home from work tonight. This morning when he left for work his battery was at 100%. 6 hours later it was at 30 %..............he works at a hospital and I want to think the phone is searching for a signal and killing the battery. Earlier today he tried to link a photo to a contact and the phone completely locked up. He had to do a fake battery pull to get the phone to run again. With the battery only lasting a few hours and the phone locking up I told him to stop at Verizon on the way home and tell them to replace the phone with a new one. I want to think he has a bad phone but could the battery problem be the 3g -4g switching? Now I'm afraid that if he stays with a MAXX will ICS really screw him by not allowing the toggle between 3g and 4g to be shut off. Has anyone heard if the ability to shut off 4g was done on purpose or will there be a fix coming out soon? The phone freezing up also has me a bit concerned. What would you do? Demand a new phone? Get a different 3g only phone? He had a blackberry that had a battery that would last all day and part of the night (3g only). I have noticed that when I am in southern California there are areas that my MAXX keeps bouncing between 3g and 4g and my battery goes fast. Glad I'm not there very often.

Last edited:

Futuremillionaire

Reaction score
I just downloaded an app today from the Play Store called LTE OnOff that allows you to select the Preferred network type....select CDMA auto (PRL) and it'll switch right over to 3g. App says it's for the Thunderbolt but it works just fine with the Maxx.

OP
Steve H

Steve H

Reaction score
I will tell him to try that. Yesterday Verizon replaced his phone. So before we try anything he is going to see what happens today with a new phone. I spoke to Verizon CS & Tech support and they have confirmed that ICS was planned to not have the ability to toggle between 3g and 4g.

VZWSupport

Reaction score
Your son picked an awesome phone! Anytime a phone is constantly searching for a signal, it will drain the battery. Does he use WiFi on it or is it on 3G/4G searching for a signal?
If he does do the ICS upgrade he will be able to go to Settings>Mobile Network Settings and there will be options for
  • Global
  • LTE/CDMA
  • GSM/UMTS
I have also noticed that the signal doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as it did prior to ICS since I updated last week.
As far as the screen freezing, does it do it in any particualr function?

TH
VZWSupport