Bad design of rear speaker location

shankomatic

Reaction score
I found a few spots where I like to sit my phone down at where the sound of notifications and ringers are virtually inaudible. At my desk at work I can barely hear the notifications if the phone is flat on the desk. At home if I sit the the phone backside down on the couch I hear nothing at all (even playing MP3s). I have never experienced this with my ORG Droid. Hoping once I get a cover for the phone it will elevate it enough to not miss notifications.

Smoke#14

Reaction score
I agree, in fact I don't like the sound quality compared to the OG Droid either.

OP
S

shankomatic

Reaction score
I agree, in fact I don't like the sound quality compared to the OG Droid either.

Anytime you target thin you are going to loose sound quality. My new top of the line ultra-thin LED TV at home has poor sound quality. (Not that it matters because I always listen to it through the sound system anyways).

yiannis

Reaction score
Buried deep within the sound menu are options for extreme bass and other enhancements.

Try these out and let us know if this helped.

OP
S

shankomatic

Reaction score
Buried deep within the sound menu are options for extreme bass and other enhancements.

Try these out and let us know if this helped.

The options helps the overall sound quality, but it doesn't address the original gripe I had about when the phone is laying flat in certain locations you can't hear the speaker. There really isn't a fix with the exception of a cover that might help it sit differently. I was mainly posting the issue to make people aware that you may not hear it in when it sits a certain way.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
This is a problem with a lot of smart phones these days. X2 and eris did it. My silicone case definitely helps, but doesn't cure.

Usually I just let the end hang off the edge of my desk if I need to listen w/o head phones or outside my car. Agreed it's a design flaw, but also with the case it's fine to put my phone face down. Not to mention gorilla glass is scratch free...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a design flaw. I mean, where else would you put the speaker? And also, do you have your notification volume up? I normally keep mine down pretty low and I can still hear it. And I actually like the sound quality of the rear speaker. It's a lot better than on the previous phones I've had.

Low Saturn

Reaction score
Speaker is fine where it is. But the back cover could of been designed differently. If they added two small slightly raised bumps at the bottom corners of the back cover. It would raise the back up enough so the notification sounds dont get muffled when the phone it laying on its back. Literally something the thickness as a piece of construction paper helps a lot.

I took a hole punch and punched out a piece of construcion paper. Layed the phone backside down with one punchout at each bottom corner. With the volume all the way up, notifications went from barely noticable in my office at work, to clearly audible from across the room.

Im hoping that the hump from the extended battery I have showing up tommorrow will help and wont have to use my little paper dots.