Backup Programs

jchrishome

Reaction score
What complete backup program works for Droid X that backs up your phone online or to your PC?
"My Backup Pro" repeatedly gets error messages. 75 emails later to the tech crew there, and they cannot find the issue. It only happens with scheduled backups, NOT manual backups. I need a backup program that backs up everything on the phone to an external source- why backup anything if your phone breaks or is lost or stolen- I need a program that will reinstall everything in case the SD card backup is not available.
ALL task killers are programmed to ignore killing the My Backup Pro app.
I will NOT use a backup program that requires ROOT- that voids the manufacturers' warranty. Titanium Backup requires ROOT.
WHY is there no sync feature to your computer with automatic nightly backups like the I phone's program? Those lucky guys get to have flawless, effortless, automatic integration with their Macs, phones, I pods, etc. Yet Droid X does not even offer a backup program for the phone, only the nightly backup of contacts list.

Last edited:

dAi

Reaction score
You can try backup everything app or titanium pro

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What complete backup program works for Droid X?
"My Backup Pro" repeatedly gets error messages. 75 emails later to the tech crew there, and they cannot find the issue. It only happens with scheduled backups, NOT manual backups.
ALL task killers are programmed to ignore killing the My Backup Pro app.
I will NOT use a backup program that requires ROOT- that voids the manufacturers' warranty.
WHY is there no sync feature to your computer with automatic nightly backups like the I phone's program? Those lucky guys get to have flawless, effortless, automatic integration with their Macs, phones, I pods, etc. Yet Droid X does not even offer a backup program for the phone, only the nightly backup of contacts list.

What are you looking to back up? Google backs up your paid apps and your contracts. I'm running my back up pro right now to see how it does manually, it's going to take a bit before it gets done but so far so good.

So let's see what we have….ah, task killer, the one thing we repeatedly tell people not to use. Try removing your task killer then run my back up pro.

OP
J

jchrishome

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
The only task killer I have is the Android taskiller widget and the Android widget mini task bar. I need these because MANY apps will NOT let you stop their program or log out! What a major flaw.

You mentioned Google backs up your paid apps and contacts. I,like any person familiar with crashed computers or broken/lost phones, need a full backup program that backs up all apps, contacts, photos, SMS, system files, etc. to either an online source or my home PC, not just to my SD card.
If the phone is lost or stolen, your backups to the SD card are useless! The I phone offers this and has for years- an automatic sync/backup program that ALWAYS works!

Also- the Android system is supposed to auto kill tasks to free up memory- but it always seems to run down to about 50mb of memory, which slows the phone down. I also hate how Verizon puts dozens junky apps on the new phone that take up memory and battery power, but which I NEVER use and are NOT uninstallable...

OP
J

jchrishome

Reaction score
P.S. the Droid administrator, JohnDroid, Member #1, is quoted in his post here:
Why is task killer his very first app that he is using??

.... Let's start with what I'm using currently on my Droid as far as handy Applications.

Will add more later

Last edited:
OP
J

jchrishome

Reaction score
Hookbill- can you please answer the last 2 questions in response to your reply on this thread? thank you

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hookbill- can you please answer the last 2 questions in response to your reply on this thread? thank you

Sure, I'll be happy to answer both of them. John when he wrote that was under the impression that task killers were necessary. Now I don't know if he still thinks that way or not but I don't think you'll find any other moderator or administrator that agrees with that.

Please take the time to read the opening post of this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

When you fully understand how android manages it's own memory, you will understand why running a task killer does nothing but interfere with allowing Android to do it's job. This is the same reason you don't worry about app memory. All that stuff are things you learned about Blackberry. Simply put, this is no Blackberry, this is a 21st Century device.

I've had task killers on my phone but I never set them up to work automatically. And if you really want to kill a task, you can do that through settings/applications.

I think that should answer your question.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MyBackUpPro has never had any issues for me. I'm with hook, remove the task killer and see if it runs it's auto back up with no errors.

OP
J

jchrishome

Reaction score
@hookbill-
there are still some unanswered questions from my posts, I will repost them here:

1. regarding task killer-
the Android system is supposed to auto kill tasks to free up memory- but it always seems to run down to about 50mb of memory, which slows the phone down. I also hate how Verizon puts dozens junky apps on the new phone that take up memory and battery power, but which I NEVER use and are NOT uninstallable...

re: there are many tasks which I want to kill but are NOT in the running app list. Also, why do so many apps have NO way to end them? It takes 100 times as long to kill a task using your method- with the mini task killer android app, the one that came with the phone, you just tap the icon twice- it takes 2 seconds!

1a. how do I uninstall all the junky apps that Verizon puts on the phone?

2. WHY is there no sync feature to your computer with automatic nightly backups like the I phone's program? Those lucky guys get to have flawless, effortless, automatic integration with their Macs, phones, I pods, etc. Yet Droid X does not even offer a backup program for the phone, only the nightly backup of contacts list.

3. the Android system is supposed to auto kill tasks to free up memory- but it always seems to run down to about 50mb of memory, which depletes the battery...

4. What complete backup program works for Droid X that backs up your phone online or to your PC, does not require ROOT, and is not called total recovery pro?

OP
J

jchrishome

Reaction score
also- the my recovery pro works EVERY time I do it manually- which is very time consuming and tedious- it ONLY fails on every attempt to do a scheduled backup.
doesn't this prove it is not my task killer that is the problem?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you are understanding the design of the OS. Issues generally arise from poorly written apps, not the way the OS is handling them.

humor us, uninstall the task killer and try to run the auto back up. If the issue still persists then we'll look elsewhere. Are you letting the phone sit when the auto back up runs or are you trying to do other things as it operates?

...and being able to back up manually does not dismiss the potential for the task killer to be the culprit.

also, think about this, every time you 'kill' an app, it's going to reopen on it's on, that's the way the OS is designed to operate. So in essence, by killing apps, you're creating more work for the operating system.

this is a linux platform, not windows, and you need to let go of your windows mindset that apps must be 'closed'.

the only time a task killer should be used is if an app becomes unresponsive. The bloatware VZW installs (which has nothing to do with Android) will continually open regardless how often you kill it. The only way to remove/freeze these apps is to root, which you already explained you won't do.

Having more 'free' memory in Android is wasted memory. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@hookbill-
there are still some unanswered questions from my posts, I will repost them here:

1. regarding task killer-
the Android system is supposed to auto kill tasks to free up memory- but it always seems to run down to about 50mb of memory, which slows the phone down. I also hate how Verizon puts dozens junky apps on the new phone that take up memory and battery power, but which I NEVER use and are NOT uninstallable...

re: there are many tasks which I want to kill but are NOT in the running app list. Also, why do so many apps have NO way to end them? It takes 100 times as long to kill a task using your method- with the mini task killer android app, the one that came with the phone, you just tap the icon twice- it takes 2 seconds!

1a. how do I uninstall all the junky apps that Verizon puts on the phone?

2. WHY is there no sync feature to your computer with automatic nightly backups like the I phone's program? Those lucky guys get to have flawless, effortless, automatic integration with their Macs, phones, I pods, etc. Yet Droid X does not even offer a backup program for the phone, only the nightly backup of contacts list.

3. the Android system is supposed to auto kill tasks to free up memory- but it always seems to run down to about 50mb of memory, which depletes the battery...

4. What complete backup program works for Droid X that backs up your phone online or to your PC, does not require ROOT, and is not called total recovery pro?

1. The only way to remove those is by rooting. There is no other way.

2. Because it's not needed. Google is your back up for your contacts, if you want to back up everything else then My Backup Pro will do it for you. You've just got to set it up. Why you're having issues with this is probably because you insist on running the task killer.

3. I've already explained that to you. Just quit worrying about the memory , it's fine. If it needs more memory it will close down more task.

4. There isn't any.

OP
J

jchrishome

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. So Verizon is never going to offer a sync program?
and the only non-root, online or PC backup program offered is My Backup Pro?
And there is no way to backup your phone's settings, free apps, etc. to your PC?
wow, Droid was advertised as an improved and better system than i phone.
With no way to fully backup the phone to a PC or other storage device, how is this an improvement? I feel ripped off...

bgg1084

Reaction score
You should consider voiding your warranty and rooting your phone. Then install Liberty 1.5 and it will get rid of all the junk apps and you can then use titanium backup.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my backup pro will not save app data unless rooted. even then i found that tibu works better for it. tibu also has an option to upload to dropbox. it will but your whole backup onto your dropbox, so loose your phone no prob there it is. it will not however upload to dropbox on a schedule, at least not yet.

also definably loose the task killer. i ran several tests and found my battery was better without it.