Are these backup programs redundant?

zoo16

Reaction score
Hello all. Been lurking for a while and have a question that I haven't been able to get cleared up on my own:
I've rooted my D2 and want to make sure I've got all the necessary programs to make a complete backup of the phone before trying custom ROMs and such. So far I've got:
Root Explorer (full version)
Titanium Backup (full version)
ROM Manager

I've run a complete backup using Ti Backup, but it is the same as a Nandroid backup? I don't want to pay for the Clockwork program only to find it does the same thing as Ti Backup.

Thanks for your help!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
A nandroid back-up will restore your complete device/settings/apps/data/cache/recovery/everything back to Exactly how it was when you made the back-up

Titanium will restore apps/settings (maybe more)

Nothing is redundant, nandroid is for protection and peace of mind and Ti is to help restore apps and settings on the new ROM you flash

You shouldn't have to pay for ROM manager to make a nandroid back-up, you can do that from within recovery

OP
zoo16

zoo16

Reaction score
Just what I needed to know. Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with tp76. Although I have never been able to successfully use Titanium after doing a wipe so I don't really know how well that works. I will admit it more then likely was user error.

OP
zoo16

zoo16

Reaction score
Ok, another question: if I have both ClockworkMod/Bootstrap and SPRecovery on my phone, will they conflict? (To clarify, I won't try to interchange the backup files, I mean just simply having both on the phone at the same time.) I want to try SPRecovery but have already paid for the full version of Bootstrap (I currently have it "frozen" by Titanium Backup to minimize any possible confusion.)

Edit: Found that SPRecovery isn't supported by the Droid 2, and I found the tutorial for the Bootstrap method. Doing it now.

Last edited: