Backup before root

solar

Reaction score
Hello all,
I had used the zerg rush temp root method in the past for being able to run Titanium backup to restore/backup my apps. Now there is the perm root method which requires use of the HTC bootloader unlock.

From what I understand, this will wipe my device. So i'm trying to find a way like Zerg Rush (which doesn't seem to be working) so that I can backup apps before I have to wipe everything. Does any one have any suggestions? Does Zerg Rush no longer work on the current stock rezound build since the last update or is it just my phone being funky. thanks everyone!

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I think you can back up apps with astro if titanium isn't working but it will not backup the apps data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. manual backup (including my backup pro without root) just don't backup much. certainly not the data contained within a program (such as game saves, app configuration, etc) except for a few apps made to work with it. :mad: Dang, I want my root back, but i'm going to loose data which kinda defeats the purpose..... Well, I guess I just better finish the games I have going, lol and maybe a tool will come along before I want to upgrade from my Rezound... ;)

thanks for the feedback guys ( and sorry for my delayed response!)

Tha187um

Reaction score
Hey Solar, I feel your pain... I was on the last level of Jelly Defense when I rooted, forgetting a regular back-up did not back-up the saves :( Good luck....

On another note, sorry to jump in to your thread... but can you port over a built in app from one rom to another with a backup? this is what i mean, I LOVE the Gmail app for ICS and was wondering if i back it up, can I restore it into GB?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, it's written for ICS. You can certainly upgrade to an ICS ROM and use it. The only thing the current ICS Roms are missing is the data arrows(the arrows that show that data is being used)

Tha187um

Reaction score
Thanks MrSmith, you're always providing answers by the time the page refreshes after I hit submit :)

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks MrSmith, you're always providing answers by the time the page refreshes after I hit submit :)

That's what they pay me for....wait...I haven't gotten my pay check....oh yeah..we're volunteers.. :blink:

jchammer123

Reaction score
Let me just say, that if they did pay, Mr Smith deserves the big bucks! He's helped me many times!!!

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
Just coming over from a thunderbolt. Finished rooting my rezound a little bit ago and was looking for some educating. With the thunderbolt, I use ROM manager and TI backup. With the rezound, how do I make rom backups and backup my info?

Thanks for the help

jchammer123

Reaction score
Just coming over from a thunderbolt. Finished rooting my rezound a little bit ago and was looking for some educating. With the thunderbolt, I use ROM manager and TI backup. With the rezound, how do I make rom backups and backup my info?

Thanks for the help

I use Amon RA for the recovery and I know most people use the same. You can also use titanium backup and it works just fine for the apps.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I've heard of people using Aman Ra too. I've always used Titanium for the Apps. Though at the moment, I've still not rooted since it will kill the data in many of my apps. errr.....I want the freedom and my data!;)

jchammer123

Reaction score
I've heard of people using Aman Ra too. I've always used Titanium for the Apps. Though at the moment, I've still not rooted since it will kill the data in many of my apps. errr.....I want the freedom and my data!;)

Just curious what you mean by kill the data in your apps?

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Just curious what you mean by kill the data in your apps?

I guess that was kind of a confusing way to put it. I was just saying I haven't unlocked my bootloader or rooted because it wipes your phone and non-root backup methods don't save the apps data, and just the app itself for easy reinstall. Depending on the backup app, but it may be programmed to work with a few app but for the most part you'll have apps with no data saved.

jchammer123

Reaction score
I guess that was kind of a confusing way to put it. I was just saying I haven't unlocked my bootloader or rooted because it wipes your phone and non-root backup methods don't save the apps data, and just the app itself for easy reinstall. Depending on the backup app, but it may be programmed to work with a few app but for the most part you'll have apps with no data saved.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I can't stand to have my phone not rooted. I just want control over my phone. But, I know why some people don't want to root and that's good too.