Backup assistant runs and fails

ptcompguy

Reaction score
I just got a Droid 3. Although Backup Assistant (BA) is installed on my phone and appears in menus, it does not work. According to Verizon's web site, it does not work on any Motorola Droid. By 'does not work' I mean that it will run but fail to make the connection to the BA site. Now I have BA running once a day and notifying me of its failure.

Is there a way to turn this off? I can change the time it fails but there is no option to turn it off! Or is there a way to remove BA completely?

spasch

Reaction score
My backup assistant has worked correctly on all 4 droid models I have had. I have noticed on my droid 3 that wifi has to be turned off for it to connect correctly. I don't remember that issue with any of the other models.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
P

ptcompguy

Reaction score
Thanks.

Thanks for the work-around. Backup assistant does sync with Wi-Fi off, tho' I don't want to leave it like that since it uses up my data quota.

A general complaint (I hope someone from Motorola and/or Google reads this -- the same organization now, right?). I wouldn't call it 'working' if you have to make a special setting. That should have gone out with the 20th century. Also, I will still get the pointless and annoying daily notifications of failure on the scheduled sync, since I'm going to sync when I need to, then turn Wi-Fi back on.

Thanks again.

My backup assistant has worked correctly on all 4 droid models I have had. I have noticed on my droid 3 that wifi has to be turned off for it to connect correctly. I don't remember that issue with any of the other models.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
yea i noticed this on mine as well and its kind of stupid idk what the deal with this is

midwestraised

Reaction score
Backup Assistant Runs & Fails - Droid 3

I just got a Droid 3. Although Backup Assistant (BA) is installed on my phone and appears in menus, it does not work. According to Verizon's web site, it does not work on any Motorola Droid. By 'does not work' I mean that it will run but fail to make the connection to the BA site. Now I have BA running once a day and notifying me of its failure.

Is there a way to turn this off? I can change the time it fails but there is no option to turn it off! Or is there a way to remove BA completely?

Backup Assistant cannot connect on my Droid 3 either. It does not matter if I am on WiFi or not. It runs and errors out daily. Is there any way to shut it off? There is no icon app floating around.

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
The only reason I rooted was to get rid of BA. What a crappy app.

midwestraised

Reaction score
I called and IM'd Verizon for several days over this issue. They kept saying they would escalate. Finally I got one person who made some kind of service ticket and escalated it. A day or so later, BA was working again. This was after the phone even got reinitialized (which did not work). It is still working. Doesn't matter if wi-fi is on or off.

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Thanks midwestraised, but I really want to delete or stop this from running.

check xda for bloatware removal script. You have to have root. Then get titanium backup pro to freeze apps... Like the .apk that runs backup assistant. Make sure you unfreeze if you reset the phone.. I think that's it.... good luck!

REMilk

Reaction score
I have a Droid 3. There was an update a couple of weeks ago to Backup Assistant. Prior to the update, it would only sync on 3G. It now syncs on WiFi.

Bob