Backup contacts advice

Fabric8r

Reaction score
I have had my Droid 3 since it first came out, and the Backup Assistant has always failed. I finally asked Verizon support to help me fix that, now is works, but only does the 2 contacts that are there when I go to the Backup Assistant Plus web site on my computer. (my number, and the phone number for the local police). How can I backup all of my contacts to somewhere so I can download them to a new or replacement phone? This Backup Assistant I use in Contacts seems to not do that. (and Backup Assistant Plus does not do contacts, just photos, videos, ...)

Thank you for your advice, and no, I don't think I want to root my phone if that is a solution offered.

pistacio

Reaction score
open contacts>menu>display options>check all of them in google and backup assistant so that all are visible

export your contacts to your sd card.
Open dialer>menu>manage contacts>export to sd card
It should save a file named "0001.vcf", name doesn't matter as long as its .vcf file.

Next, choose default account to store new contacts
Open contacts>menu>more>settings>contact storage
Uncheck backup assistant and select google as default location for new contacts

I will continue instructions in just a second ....

Now, import your contact file you exported earlier
Contacts>menu>manage contacts>import from sd card (it will be the .vcf you saved earlier. This will bring those contacts into your gmail account and you will still have the .Vcf file on your sd card as a backup, which can be used with other devices.

Let me know if there's any confusion

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
F

Fabric8r

Reaction score
Wow, that was very nice of you. I did as you said, and everything worked. (although curiously now my phone contact list seems to have everyone I follow on Twitter in it now, but I changed the setting to only show only those that have a phone number).

So, if I loose my phone (and the SD card in it) how can I import my contacts into the new phone?

pistacio

Reaction score
If its an android phone, your contacts will sync automatically when you add the google account on the new phone.

You can back up that .Vcf to your computer now while you have it. Or email it to yourself.

Also, your contacts are accessible by going to googles website on your pc and log in, now that you synced with google.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

poppy5

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s9
Google equips the "Sync" function that allows user to backup and restore contacts saved on mobile phone easily. By using this way, you just need to sign in your Google account on Android and then you can backup your contacts.