Aux input.

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
I normally use my iPod ( yeah yeah i know) to listen to music while im in the car but my cable broke for that and now Ive been using just the standard AUX cable, my problem is that it only plays in the left speaker.

I love android but that is one area where they are lagging behind apple. EVERYTHING is made for iPod. On second thought they probably copyrighted everything so google cant do anything about it.

Is there anything I can do about this? is it a faulty nexus or is google just lagging behind?

Id rather not spend anything over 25 bucks for something if I can avoid t. It seems like the aux cable would work just fine : (

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that isn't android. that sounds hardware related. do headphones work fine in you gnex?

or is it set to mono anywhere in the settings?

Riley

Reaction score
Try a new cable... or your not pushing it in far enough? I use a standard 1/8" to 1/8" aux cable for my Nexus and cars stereo with no problems ...but haven't pushed the cable in the nexus that final snap before and had your one speaker problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Try a new cable.

Also I have an aux cable in my car and noticed that it feels secure at 3/4 in. Make sure the cable is fully in or else you will get a distorted sound.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
Here is a picture of both of the cables I have tried. the short one is really old and just found it laying around.

Went and bought the longer cable from radio shack for 5 or 6 bucks. maybe I got the 3/4 instead of the 1/8 cable?

View attachment 46080

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
try another device. if its still only the left speaker it could be the input on the car

LuvMusic

Reaction score
Well....the longer cable is a mono cable, it will only play through one channel, that is why you only get your music from the left channel. You can tell because there is only one band around the plug.

The shorter cable is a stereo cable but with those right-angle plugs on it you're just asking for a short issue. If your Aux input is on the front of your head unit, the angle that the cable will connect with the head unit will be pretty extreme and since it is old cable it's probably pretty brittle and very well may have shorted.

Buy yourself a stereo cable with straight plugs (like your new cable but with two bands on the plug) and I suspect you will be good to go!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well....the longer cable is a mono cable, it will only play through one channel, that is why you only get your music from the left channel. You can tell because there is only one band around the plug.

The shorter cable is a stereo cable but with those right-angle plugs on it you're just asking for a short issue. If your Aux input is on the front of your head unit, the angle that the cable will connect with the head unit will be pretty extreme and since it is old cable it's probably pretty brittle and very well may have shorted.

Buy yourself a stereo cable with straight plugs (like your new cable but with two bands on the plug) and I suspect you will be good to go!
Didn't even realize it was a mono cable.

Yeah you better get your money back from Radioshack, they sold you the wrong type of cable.

nubby

Reaction score
Try a new cable.

Also I have an aux cable in my car and noticed that it feels secure at 3/4 in. Make sure the cable is fully in or else you will get a distorted sound.

Here is a picture of both of the cables I have tried. the short one is really old and just found it laying around.

Went and bought the longer cable from radio shack for 5 or 6 bucks. maybe I got the 3/4 instead of the 1/8 cable?
3/4 of the way in not a 3/4 in. cable

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
If you are worried about price Monoprice.com has great stuff for super low prices. They have all types of cabels and connectors.

Just for future reference.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for the late response but it was the wire(s) I went to radio shack and spent 20 bucks on one which is outrageous I think. thanks for all the input and I learned something new! Thanks again !

Matt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums