Headphone Jack problem

abraham3660

Reaction score
I've had my bionic for A year now, and have had no problems with it. Yesterday, my headphone jack stopped working. I have plugged in headphones, aux cables, and everything just still plays through the phone speakers. Is there anything I can do?

Caren4u2

Reaction score
Have you tried another pair of phone jacks? I had a similar issue this past spring. Tried another set and found that the sound would come thru sporadically. VZW tech support said that there is actually two contacts which hold the 3.5mm plug in place. If one of them is loose you'll either get no sound or it will give a rattled static sound. Tech sent me a CLN replacement.

Last edited:

My351

Reaction score
Could also try cleaning it out. Not knowing how you carry your phone around. I have the holster case combo from VZW for mine, and carry it with me almost everywhere. With the port facing up like that all the time, it's a great little place to collect all kinds of lint, dirt, what have you. I pull all the cotton off a q-tip, which leaves just the smallest amount left on there, fits almost perfectly into the port. Cotton that is left on, is great at grabbing the dirt and cleaning it out. May not be your problem, but may also be a very simple fix.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Lint, lint, lint. Check out my previous posts on this. Use compressed air or a small paper clip, hopefully you'll be amazed. Good luck.

pobguy

Reaction score
Could also try cleaning it out. Not knowing how you carry your phone around. I have the holster case combo from VZW for mine, and carry it with me almost everywhere. With the port facing up like that all the time, it's a great little place to collect all kinds of lint, dirt, what have you. I pull all the cotton off a q-tip, which leaves just the smallest amount left on there, fits almost perfectly into the port. Cotton that is left on, is great at grabbing the dirt and cleaning it out. May not be your problem, but may also be a very simple fix.

Had the same problem just now. I tried your q-tip fix, with a bit of alcohol on it, and it fixed the problem immediately.

mpedonovan

Reaction score
That was it!

I can't believe it was that simple! Stuck the end of a Q-Tip in as suggested, and out came a huge plug of lint. THANKS! On a related note, the other end of the Q-Tip produced a huge plug of ear wax. So, in addition to getting the headphones to work, I can actually hear the music too! Great suggestion!

doonser

Reaction score
I tried the cleanout trick. The Q-tip had some dirt on it, no detectable lint (I dipped the tip in rubbing alcohol first, maybe the lint was wet). Helped, but not 100% fixed. I consider this (http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/27219/How+can+I+repair+the+headphone+jack) (scroll down to MishyTOO's fix and those like it below his/hers), but there is no gap between the jack and my case on this Bionic (bought in March 2012). I guess I'll have to keep cleaning it. That, and stopping work every 3 songs because the music player thinks I have clicked the headphone switch (even when using conventional headphones) just because I moved a little.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I tried the cleanout trick. The Q-tip had some dirt on it, no detectable lint (I dipped the tip in rubbing alcohol first, maybe the lint was wet). Helped, but not 100% fixed. I consider this (How can I repair the headphone jack? - Motorola Droid - iFixit) (scroll down to MishyTOO's fix and those like it below his/hers), but there is no gap between the jack and my case on this Bionic (bought in March 2012). I guess I'll have to keep cleaning it. That, and stopping work every 3 songs because the music player thinks I have clicked the headphone switch (even when using conventional headphones) just because I moved a little.

if its necessary to apply pressure to the jack, basically what is done by inserting the straw beside it, one or more of the solder points holding the jack to the board have likely broke loose.
this is usually a result accidentally jerking the cord out.