Headphone Jack Problem

seattle425

Reaction score
I have had my Motorola Droid since Christmas of 2009 and I haven't experienced any problems until a week ago. Whenever I plug in my headphones and try to listen to music the music is either distorted or the music will play directly through the built-in speaker. The headphones become extremely sensitive and any slight movement will stop the music. If I take my phone into Verizon will they replace it for free even if I have had my phone for a few months? I have the full insurance on my phone. It is really starting to bug me since I use my Droid to listen to music a lot.

kaboyd

Reaction score
VZW should replace it without any problems. The headphone jacks are known to be defective across the board. If someone hassles you in the store just call customer service and explain your problem. I've had two exchanges for faulty headphone jacks, but beware, I will tell you the problems with distortion will come back. You may have to get a warranty exchange again down the road.

JCo352

Reaction score
From what I hear it is covered under the 1 year warranty.

OP
S

seattle425

Reaction score
I'll go into the VZW store tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they don't hassle me and just give me a new phone for free

Laaanvi

Reaction score
Hi My headphone jack worked for a long time but all of a sudden it just stopped. Whenever I plug in headphones or anything into the jack a high pitched squealing sound plays. Any suggestions?

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
There's a bunch of threads on this very problem. For many people, there is lint stuck in the jack. You can try to shine a light down there and see. Then either blow it out with compressed air or take a small paperclip and GENTLY dig it out. I've had my headphone jack stop working twice, and each time a simple shot or two of compressed air solved the problem. Now I just need a small cheap plug/cover for it to prevent this... Good luck.

nkostman

Reaction score
Yeah I got irate with a Verizon level 2 tech support rep for no reason and then found this thread referencing debis in there. It was just a hair.

Zorgon

Reaction score
A suggestion above recommends using compressed air to flush any dirt/fluff from the 3.5mm socket. DO NOT DO THIS. Not only could you push dirt further into your device but it could create a static discharge, potentially frying your device's electronics.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
A suggestion above recommends using compressed air to flush any dirt/fluff from the 3.5mm socket. DO NOT DO THIS. Not only could you push dirt further into your device but it could create a static discharge, potentially frying your device's electronics.

I did exactly this. Pretty uneventful...except for my jack finally working.