Automatic Battery Drop Once Unplugged

slipperybrain

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that their battery life almost immediately drops 3-6% within 5 minutes of unplugging your Incredible?

Mine does, is this normal or should there be concern? I went to Verizon and got a new battery, but the 2nd one does the same thing. I also went out and bought an extended battery and it does the same thing as well. Is this normal?

Humpa

Reaction score
Yes. It is unfortunately normal for the Inc.
We often refer to this as the "battery dance". When you take it off the charge in the morning, turn it off. And with it off, plug it back in until the charging light turns green. THEN turn the phone on. You'll get a bit more of a full charge.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Normal after the 2.2 but not right. It has to due with HTC boning up the charging on this phone. I unplugged mine this AM and it was down to 91% before I could get out the door.
I have heard mixed results from letting the battery go all the way down to dead then recharging and it will give the phone a beter idea of the correct charge.

FWIW, I talked to a HTC guy Sunday and he assured me there was a hotfix in the works for this issue. Should I believe him???????

Chris

OP
S

slipperybrain

Reaction score
Who has the time to turn the phone off after an unplug and then plug it back in until the light turns green. That's pretty silly. I guess I could add it into my morning ritual while I am in the shower or something, but there is no reason I should have to do this. Just curious...wanted to make sure it was normal. Let's hope there is a fix.

Humpa

Reaction score
Normal after the 2.2 but not right.
The problem has always existed - since the initial release. And it is still there after the upgrade to 2.2.

And, no, I wouldn't believe him. ;)

And slipperybrain, you are right. No one in their right mind is doing that battery dance (no offense to those that are). Though if you can charge it with the phone off, that'll make it charge fully. Also, that "battery dance" thing can actually be done with any phone - they'll all get a slightly fuller charge when the phone is off. It is just more pronounced with the Inc, and it is also much more publicized because of the kinda poor battery life.

tktouch12

Reaction score
its really stupid that they havent fixed this, and they better. but, once i use my phone to wake me up i turn it off and let it finish charging while i'm eating, showering, getting dressed, and then its ready to go for the day, so its not a terrible problem

Danariel

Reaction score
Unfortunately, "bump" charging doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I still get the drop, even after I've done it.

tech94

Reaction score
i have been doing the "bump" charge since early may, unfortunately i also purchased a seidio 1750mah battery. at first i did notice some imrovement over the OEM battery but lately i have noticed that even with bump charging multiple times (ie: chg to green turn off chg to green again and repeat, for a total of 3 times on charger) it drops to mid 90% within 10-15 minutes. i dont know if the seidio battery is just fried at this point or what. i just ordered an OEM battery from sprint for the EVO since it fits the incredible perfectly. hopefully this may help a little

Humpa

Reaction score
I am not a heavy user at all, so I'm fine with the Inc's battery life without the bump charge. Though, to me, the Inc's battery life seems 25-50% worse than the DX and the D1 (I use those 2 as well). I had been using the DX since it came out, but the other day I switched back to the Inc - I only keep one android active at a time.

Anyway, I did the bump charge once this morning - though maybe we can call it twice because the power went out in the middle of that. Dallas storms. ;)
Well, I'm at work and I'm still at 100%. So the bump charge is still working fine for me, though it seems like the bump charge doesn't do anything for some people now. I wonder if they're using a non-oem battery?

H-T-C

Reaction score
Love my Inc but have hated the short battery life from the first day. It seems to have become substantially worse for me since the software upgrade. I have the Battery Droid widget on my homescreen and since the 2.2 download I can sit and watch the battery go down from 100% in 1% increments every couple of minutes.

I use Advanced Task Killer religiously to make sure I'm not draining the battery. One thing I have noticed with the 2.2 upgrade is now the INC is constantly starting up Skype, Stocks, Amazon MP3 randomly- ARGH! I really want to unistall Skype and Amazon MP3 but the Application Manager does not allow me to click on "uninstall". Any suggestions?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The programs you listed are proprietary bloatware and can't be removed without rooting. Now, remove the Task Killer. That is also hurting your battery. There is article after article saying this also, including one written by the actual Google developers that created and program Android. Finally, many battery meters actually eat batteries as well. Kill it.

Lengthen your sync period on the programs that are non-essential to your day to day activities. When around a wifi router, use it rather than 3G. Turn the switch back off when you're away from the router as it will seek a wifi signal continuously otherwise, eating the battery again.

Go back and check your apps. See exactly what is running in addition to the bloatware. Then start removing and testing life in between.

That should get you started.

atthehop

Reaction score
Will a task killer hurt if it is not set to lill anything automatically. I run it now manually and it does not seem to hurt battery life.

KerrAvon

Reaction score
That's funny, HTC told me that there was no fix for this anytime in the near future. In fact they denied it was even a problem saying that I had to Charge My phone until it turns green, unplug, turn it off, plug in charge until it turns green, turn on then off, plug back in a charge until green and then I would NEVER have this problem again. Yeah right.

HTC, just like Apple with the iPhone 4 antenna, denies it is a design flaw!

Normal after the 2.2 but not right. It has to due with HTC boning up the charging on this phone. I unplugged mine this AM and it was down to 91% before I could get out the door.
I have heard mixed results from letting the battery go all the way down to dead then recharging and it will give the phone a beter idea of the correct charge.

FWIW, I talked to a HTC guy Sunday and he assured me there was a hotfix in the works for this issue. Should I believe him???????

Chris

Humpa

Reaction score
Will a task killer hurt if it is not set to lill anything automatically. I run it now manually and it does not seem to hurt battery life.
No, that's fine.
We try to steer the newbies away from task killers because they do more harm than good - a reboot can always be used to kill a task if need be.

But a task killer can be a good tool to have - they often have other features aside from just killing. And as long as it isn't running, it isn't doing anything - so there's no harm in leaving it installed. Though I have the DX, DI, and D1. They all have Froyo, one is stock and two are rooted, and I haven't used or installed ATK since the late spring, I think.

EDIT: I might as well post this here. This is the thread here at DF which discusses task killers. There's a series of youtube videos from Google/Google dev's, one of which covers this topic - they have that in the first post too.