After a full charge, unplugging causes it to drop battery %?

mark3748

Reaction score
Is that what's called a bump charge? I've never heard the term in all of my many years until I saw it used on these forums. I'm guessing you remove and replace the battery to insure a cold boot? BTW, here's what Seidio says about charging their batteries:
"In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status shows full." That's news to me also. :eek:

yes, but leaving it on past the green light does nothing. The battery will actually drain to a pre-determined cut-off and then start charging again. Good for the battery (the battery will wear less), but not so great for actually lasting longer on a single charge.

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
Mine shows full right at 100 but I leave it on an extra 30 minutes got in that habit from my Droid although I am not experiencing bad battery life I also don't have 4G coverage so that's on my side.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jdk2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1103
HTC America Support offered this regarding bump charging:

Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your concern about your HTC Incredible’s battery life. I do understand how important it is for your device to function properly and I apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused you. To increase the battery life of your device, please utilize the following steps: 1. Connect the phone to the charger and charge device until the LED turns green with the phone powered on. 2. Disconnect the phone, and power it off. 3. Reconnect the phone to the charger, and charge the device until the LED turns green again. 4. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and then power it off. 5. Reconnect the phone to the charger and charge until the LED turns green again. Power on and use.

Some have said not to do this too often as it will affect the longevity of the battery. I've not seen anyone say they needed a new battery but then again, most people probably don't keep these phones long enough to care.

EdForsythe

Reaction score
Is that what's called a bump charge? I've never heard the term in all of my many years until I saw it used on these forums. I'm guessing you remove and replace the battery to insure a cold boot? BTW, here's what Seidio says about charging their batteries:
"In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status shows full." That's news to me also. :eek:

yes, but leaving it on past the green light does nothing. The battery will actually drain to a pre-determined cut-off and then start charging again. Good for the battery (the battery will wear less), but not so great for actually lasting longer on a single charge.
Hi Mark, I don't know for sure but I think that the Seidio charging method may have been meant for the initial charge. I'll try to get the info from Seidio. Either way, I'm inclined to believe that the battery manufacturers are best equipped to determine the correct way to maintain their batteries and I'm reasonably sure they impart that info to their customers. Could it be that charging an additional 2-3 hours with the charger cycling continuously is a method of conditioning the battery to insure optimum future performance? Batteries are strange, magical things and to be successful when using one you must *NEVER* let the smoke out!:D

WillFCDroid

Reaction score
I got the high capacity extended battery Saturday at about 1:30. I put it in at the store and it showed about 40% charge. That lasted the rest of the day with moderate use. I put it on the charger and charged it overnight. Yesterday, I went out and used it all day long, taking pictures, sending messages, and as a gps for about 45 min. I don't think the battery ever went below 45%, so I was thrilled. Charged it overnight, and it showed 100% this morning. I go to work and reboot into recovery to get familiar with it. I do this for about 3 minutes, then reboot. Now the phone has only been off the charger about an hour and I really haven't done much with it. After it starts up, I notice that the battery level shows 66%! I have no idea what would cause this. I restart the phone again, and the level drops again to 59%. On the third reboot, it shows 55%. There is something seriously wrong this this phone and how it reads battery levels, because I can't see the boot process using that much power.

By the way, the plastic holster with the belt clip works fine with the big battery and larger battery cover. You just can't use the protective part that covers the back of the phone.

mark3748

Reaction score
that's a good possibility. Just remember that you don't really need to worry too much about what the battery meter shows until you're around 5-10%. In general it's not going to be very linear, as some have pointed out the battery will take a quick dive down to about 80% within a couple of hours and last another 11 hours or more.

Also, Li-Ion batteries don't have any charge memory (like old Ni-Cad did) so keep it plugged in when you can.

On a side note, I just wanted to test out my battery life today, unplugged my charger before the battery was full (no bump charge, unplugged at 97%) used the phone moderately, some angry birds, mafia wars and zynga poker here and there, plugged it back in at 7%... 14 hours later.

I think the battery complaints are more about the meter than the actual battery performance, my Tbolt does as well or better than my D1 did.

TinGodz

Reaction score
I got the high capacity extended battery Saturday at about 1:30. I put it in at the store and it showed about 40% charge. That lasted the rest of the day with moderate use. I put it on the charger and charged it overnight. Yesterday, I went out and used it all day long, taking pictures, sending messages, and as a gps for about 45 min. I don't think the battery ever went below 45%, so I was thrilled. Charged it overnight, and it showed 100% this morning. I go to work and reboot into recovery to get familiar with it. I do this for about 3 minutes, then reboot. Now the phone has only been off the charger about an hour and I really haven't done much with it. After it starts up, I notice that the battery level shows 66%! I have no idea what would cause this. I restart the phone again, and the level drops again to 59%. On the third reboot, it shows 55%. There is something seriously wrong this this phone and how it reads battery levels, because I can't see the boot process using that much power.

By the way, the plastic holster with the belt clip works fine with the big battery and larger battery cover. You just can't use the protective part that covers the back of the phone.

I noticed the same thing every time I reboot my phone. For some reason I typically reboot around 40% (the 2-3 times I clearly recall, the charge was coincidentally around 40%). After a reboot, it drops to 26%. However, it stays at 26% for hours on end before it finally depletes. Thus, the boot process isn't draining the battery, it's a coding error in the way the phone reads the battery.

WillFCDroid

Reaction score
It just finished charging about ten minutes ago. I restarted it and the battery still showed 100%. I went into recovery and after another reboot, it is still at 100%. I wanted to see if I could recreate the problem, but I can't seem to. I hope it was just a fluke. I have been on the fence about returning it and waiting for something else because of the battery issues and dropping LTE randomly, but I'll give it a few more days. I actually haven't allowed it to run all the way down, so I have no idea of just how long the battery will really last.

I have to agree that it's just the way the phone measures battery levels, and not something to dwell over. It just bugs me, I guess.

TinGodz

Reaction score
It just finished charging about ten minutes ago. I restarted it and the battery still showed 100%. I went into recovery and after another reboot, it is still at 100%. I wanted to see if I could recreate the problem, but I can't seem to. I hope it was just a fluke. I have been on the fence about returning it and waiting for something else because of the battery issues and dropping LTE randomly, but I'll give it a few more days. I actually haven't allowed it to run all the way down, so I have no idea of just how long the battery will really last.

I have to agree that it's just the way the phone measures battery levels, and not something to dwell over. It just bugs me, I guess.

Apparently HTC is going to be releasing an update soon, so hopefully they will fix a lot of these bugs. I'm not too worried because I just ran my Bolt for 24hrs straight with medium usage throughout the day.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score

Apparently HTC is going to be releasing an update soon, so hopefully they will fix a lot of these bugs. I'm not too worried because I just ran my Bolt for 24hrs straight with medium usage throughout the day.

Can you point out your source to this update?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

WillFCDroid

Reaction score
I've also read about an update addressing the "missing" internal storage space and possibly battery issues at xda in the Thunderbolt sub-forums. I've read so many forum posts since getting the Thunderbolt that I couldn't tell you exactly where. Word is NOT to do the update if you are rooted or are going to root.

slinky

Reaction score
On a side note, I just wanted to test out my battery life today, unplugged my charger before the battery was full (no bump charge, unplugged at 97%) used the phone moderately, some angry birds, mafia wars and zynga poker here and there, plugged it back in at 7%... 14 hours later.

I think the battery complaints are more about the meter than the actual battery performance, my Tbolt does as well or better than my D1 did.
Try using 4G. For many of us, we use email for business and some web surfing and maps to get around the city. And after all, we bought the TB for the 4G most of all. :)

funkyb

Reaction score
I am on 4G for my work days, good coverage in STL.