Attachments never open with Exchange

newdroidman

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what happens to me, too. Thanks for trying. If I figure it out, I'll post it to this forum.

cuzzinz

Reaction score
Seems that if you use self-signed or wildcard certificates unchecking accept all SSL certificates will cause you to stop receiving mail at all.

So, wildcard certs need to be supported
&
Self-signed certs need to be able to be installed

-OR-

Attachments need to be made to work when the Accept All SSL Certs option is selected.
---------------

My Exchange server utilizes a wildcard cert for the entire domain (*.<domain>.com) works fine on the iPhone and with Windows Mobile unfortunately not with the Droid.

I dont think this is a droid problem... Might be your version of Exchange.

I use Exchange 2007 SP1 with RollUp4 update.

I have Accpt All SSL Certs unchecked and I am having no problems.

I am able to view my attachments and I get my mail no problem and we use a *.domain.com wildcard cert. So I think it is an update that you need to run.

Obviously if you are on Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 without any service packs that could be the issue too.

Hope this helps.

-Cuzzinz

P.S. just search for exchange 2007 Rollup 4 (that is if you have exchange 2007 sp1) and download and install it. Its very small, about 60+MB. Hope this helps!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
are you on the $29.99 account or the $44.99 account?

(probably not the issue but would be worth posting if you each can go back and edit your posts.)

Wouldn't matter. Exchange works on both plans...

I am able to open attachments from our exchange server, I am using Touchdown....

Last edited:

ProtocolOH

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. If I turn SSL off, I can get attachments just fine. If I turn SSL on, even with "Accept all certs" checked, it just sits and spins. (Without it checked, our old SSL cert causes problems.) We're running Exchange 2003 with the latest updates (I think). So, at least I have a workaround, but I'd feel better if I could leave SSL enabled.

Excitable Boy

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. If I uncheck the Accept All SSL Certs box, I get a security fail issue when the Droid trys to hit our Exchange server. We're running Exchange 2003 with SP1.

nhnorthwoods

Reaction score
I can not open attachments and if I forward an e-mail with an attachment the e-mail is received without it. I can't disable SSL because my office server requires SSL, which I would expect many corporate servers do. I don't have this problem with my iPhone. An iPhone in one hand and Droid in the other, droid doesn't!!
I'm a bit disappointed with the Droid and I hope these issues are resolved real soon. I would have expected issues like this to have been caught before Droid hit the streets.
Also need notes and tasks.

joesharpsec1

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same issue. I even purchased Documents to Go in addition to downlaoding a free PDF viewer. I stopped in a VZ Wireless store and spoke with a tech support person who said they are escalating this to the next level. I need an answer soon as I use this phone for business and need to view customer's orders. Love the phone but hope I don't have to return it to get the HTC Touch Pro2 since that uses Windows Mobile and Active Synch.

joesharpsec1

Reaction score
I can not open attachments and if I forward an e-mail with an attachment the e-mail is received without it. I can't disable SSL because my office server requires SSL, which I would expect many corporate servers do. I don't have this problem with my iPhone. An iPhone in one hand and Droid in the other, droid doesn't!!
I'm a bit disappointed with the Droid and I hope these issues are resolved real soon. I would have expected issues like this to have been caught before Droid hit the streets.
I too have had the issue with attachments not showing up on e-mail I forward. Since I continue to have issues with files continuing to be "Fetched" but not opening, I thought it had something to do with it being company e-mail. I forwarded it to my gmail account and nothing....no file attachments. I cannot believe this is even an issue. Extremely disappointed. Whoever handled this aspect of development should be out of a job. I mean...SERIOULSY...you can't forward an e-mail with an attachment????

apj062005

Reaction score
I had the same issue and I de-selected use ssl and of course my authentication failed to my exchange 2007 server, but when i checked it again and it authenticated and logged back into my email account, I was able to select open on the attachement and then it asked what do I want to open it with. Now I can view .doc, .xls .jpg, etc, etc, etc with no issues.

sterdroids

Reaction score
I too have had the issue with attachments not showing up on e-mail I forward. Since I continue to have issues with files continuing to be "Fetched" but not opening, I thought it had something to do with it being company e-mail. I forwarded it to my gmail account and nothing....no file attachments. I cannot believe this is even an issue. Extremely disappointed. Whoever handled this aspect of development should be out of a job. I mean...SERIOULSY...you can't forward an e-mail with an attachment????

I am in an agrument with so guy on another thread about this. Bottomline
if your in the same boat I was go get Touchdown and Docs2go free or paid both about 10 buck issues solved.

Caindris

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of confusion about Exchange and why people use phones that their IT departments haven't authorized on their network boggles me.

SSL - I have it on mine, it's turned on, it works. If your SSL isn't working then your exchange admin needs to look into what is wrong with their certificate.

attachments - I can send attachments back and forth all day long from my exchange account. If something is stripping it, it's on the back end.

edkocher

Reaction score
Account Levels

I have the $44.99 account. Never understood the difference anyway -- and why is the pricing for corporate email higher than BB. Anyway, I have the same problem. Will not fetch xls or doc attachements (haven't tried others yet) on my Exchange account, but when I forward to gmail, they open immediately. Also, cannot get my Exchange Calendar to synch. It's blank.