ASUS To Block Ads By Default In Stock Browser

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It kind of seems like a shoot yourself in the foot moment, but according to sources ASUS will be utilizing their partnership with AdBlock Plus to natively block ads in their stock Android browser. The trend for OEMs to block internet ads is kind of stupid in my opinion. The internet as it stands does not exist without ads. Ads bring a monetary incentive for websites to push out content. Without money websites can't operate. If there are no websites there is no need for smartphones.

The reason it has come to this is also the fault of websites who have relied too heavily on ads. When traditional stationary synchronous ads fail some websites resort to very annoying scrolling, irremovable ads. I can understand the frustration with those types of ads. In fact I have stopped visiting some of the sites that utilize these intrusive ads. I would never turn off ads completely though. As a content creator I know just how crucial ads are to the internet.

The default browser on all ASUS Android phones and tablets ads will be blocked by default.

We're extremely happy to team up with Asus, the first major hardware manufacturer to integrate ad blocking into their mobile devices. This is another call for innovation in the ad industry—a call getting louder by the day.

There are 15million people currently using the ASUS browser. ASUS hopes that blocking ads by default will just be another feature that draws in new customers.

via Motherboard

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I totally understand your point regarding the net and ads. But I also need to agree with those who own phones who don't want to see any ads.
Asus is a company that is consumer savvy and my guess is they are responding to customer requests.
The ability to turn ads on and off would be a good compromise.

Reactions: cr6

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
My tablet is an ASUS but I don't use the stock browser anyway. I use Dolphin. I can see the good and bad in this. I personally hate to see that because how many sites would go away without ad revenue?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have become so annoyed by intrusive ads that 99% of new articles I see on sites like Twitter I don't open because they far to often lead to sites full of the scrolling ads or pop ups trying to get me to download some app to rid my device of the virus it detected.

I understand the need for ads but companies need to learn a more practical way of displaying them. I don't mind seeing an ad banner at the top or bottom of a site but when they jump into the area I am trying to click on or view that's when I give up on the site altogether.

The only reason I bought into Play music was to eliminate ads in Youtube..

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Well I don't really see how this would be ASUS shooting themselves in the foot since they are a hardware manufacturer and not a company that profits highly from web traffic. I applaud ASUS for this move :)