AdBlock Plus Built Its Own Android Browser

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
See, the way I see it, I pay for TV. I pay over 100 bux a month for U-Verse, and it is the same for cable, DirecTV, etc...

So I don't care if the ads get viewed. I am paying for the service and content, I don't need to sit there and waste time watching ads for products that I will never buy.

I understand that the web is free and someone has to pay for it. But there is a point where the content takes a back seat to the ads.

The ads should be there to support and pay for the content. Now, the content is there just to entice you to view the ads. Its backwards, in a lot of cases, and the content and viewer experience suffers as a result.

When the balance tips from good content with a few ads to support it, to mediocre content and an avalanche of ads, I have an issue with that.
This ^^^^^^^^^ is 100% how I feel. People are creating web sites for the sole purpose of making money from advertising, and are just throwing some content on there to get spider'd in the search engines and attract viewers. They're posting links to their sites on every public portal they can get into, and are grabbing every stupid banner ad and pop up and pop over screen that they can get subscribed to, in order to collect every penny they can for clickthroughs, and often as @SquireSCA. indicated are even using tricks to get you to click on more times and more items than you would expect to have to in order to artificially increase the click rates.

In one example I know of, the text entry window is at the bottom of the screen on a chat tool, and if you're too fast to click your screen there you actually wind up clicking on the ad that's being pushed up from the bottom having been strategically timed to catch you off guard and result in a clickthrough. Then you have to click the back button, and then wait the three seconds for the ad to push the text entry field up again before starting to type, otherwise you do the whole thing over again. It's the cart before the horse.

There are others like Macktion, Android Authority and similar who are actually working to create valuable, inspiring and intriguing content, and then gain sponsorships from the manufacturers. This results in the manufacturers putting advertisement onto their sites and they receive revenue from it. This is how it should be.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This app is a really cool concept, but holy crap it's like the slowest browser in the world. Takes a ridiculous amount of time to load pages, but I mean, it is still in beta.

Yeah. that was my experience. Really slow and buggy. Maybe one day it will be ready for prime time, but not yet...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I am on the fence about this. I pay a boatload of money for Internet. Internet for the home, Internet for the phones, Internet for my car. Ads should be optional.

When TV was analog I totally understood advertisements. It was free television. Cable companies are killing that though. How much do the telcos rake in every month?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
They don't get it here in Asia. Satellite is loaded with ads plus we pay a very high rate.