AdBlock Plus Holds Advertisers Hostage With New "Ad Exchange"

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

As a content creator who relies on ads to keep the content coming many of you know that I personally don't agree with ad blockers, and do not use them myself. I for one don't mind having to skip or even view and ad in order to receive quality content for free. However there are overly intrusive ads that do things like cripple a website until you interact with the ad. These types of ads are what drive people to use services like Adblock Plus.

The app that built itself on killing apps across the web will now be serving ads to its user base. The Ad exchange will allow advertisers to serve ads to adblock users as long as their ads fit AdBlock's criteria. AdBlock says while the acceptable ads will be enabled by default AdBlock users will not be forced to view ads. They will be able to disable them in settings. It will be interesting to see if this change will cause AdBlock Plus users to use some other method for blocking ads.

via WSJ

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
The real question here is, who's getting paid when I view an ad? Because if ABP is getting the revenue, I'll just disable it in settings. If they genuinely try to police overly intrusive ads on sites, and greenlight ones that are tolerable and the content provider still gets a cut, I may leave it up.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is AdBlock's criteria?

Will DF be following this criteria?

GAstorino

Reaction score
I agree with you. Straight on ads don't bother me its the popups, pop unders, forced ads that mess up a website that I can't stand. I have even bought stuff from sites from the ads I saw but when a website operator makes the website so obnoxious with the ad popups, running videos, etc. that I can't even read the articles or see the site then I exit out and we all lose.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm with others above, I do it for pop ups and intrusive ads. But I also do it for Youtube ads.

Look at the bright side though. As one starts to go to crap, another will rise to take its place without ads.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
The main reason I run an ad blocker is to prevent my machine from being infected from bad ads .

And yes even from droid forums years ago but not lately since I have been running both ad and script blockers depending upon the site that I am at.

I have had to clean hundreds if not thousands of machines during my years as a desktop tech/Sysadmin due to unscrupulous sales people that don't check the links that they are selling ad space to which ends up redirecting people to malicious links.

If the ad people could clean up their ads so it would stop infecting machines I would be more than happy to let them display ads.

I have had to do this even on my phone now due to malicious links being delivered through ads on the phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no issues with ads as long as they are done where it does not interfere. Ads that slow down, stop, or send me some place else needs blocking in my opinion. There is no reason an ad should be preventing or slowing down my use of viewing of a site.

Intrusive and spammy ads have resulted in me no longer going to certain tech sites.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't know anyone who actually buys stuff from ads. I've only ever done it once and it was a promoted Tweet.

I agree with PC47. Lousy ads ruining the experience? I simply stop going there.
I don't patronize those slide show sites either. Can't stand those.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk