ASE Certification / Automotive Mechanic

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is anyone on the board a certified mechanic? Do you like your job? Does it pay well?

I'm interested in possibly getting certified, but I'm not sure whether it's something I want to do as a career.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I looked into it about 10 years ago and back then ASE mechanics got like $2-$5 more per hour and were way more desirable to hire. If you like working on cars i'd say go for it. I've known many in the industry and they enjoy it. But like any job, it depends on where you work. If it I did it all over again i'd get certified and go into the restoration/hot rodding side of things. Good luck either way.

"Ready to do nothing at a moments notice."

xtor

Reaction score
I'm a ase master tech, i make 30- an hour flat rate,so its good money if you know what your doing,don't forget tools, I own about 40,000 in tools and boxes

my razr's sharper then yours ™

pookie

Reaction score
You could look into the forklift world as well. I make $30+ an hour and get a new one ton van every two years. I get paid to drive to work with their vehicle. No ASE's to worry about. Oh, and no flat rates. Everything is hourly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Wadzii

Reaction score
Most dealerships will want you to have their specific training more so than ase certs. My advise is to take a few basic classes at a local community college and get a job at a dealership changing oil in the mean time. You can make good money, but be prepared to blow most of it on tools.

I have been in and out of automotive jobs since 2001 ( I have a management degree as well as a bunch of IT certs) and I have probably 25k in tools. I just got back out of a tech job and started at a dodge dealership last october. I love it.. to me working on cars is alot of fun. Most of the other tech's in the shop seem to have forgotten that and *****/cry all day about who's getting the "gravy" work. I do whatever is asked, have fun doing it and have no problem turning 60hrs a week.

My tool payments are around $500/month.. around 20-25% of what I make.