Are you happy with your Droid X?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I no longer have an interest in physical keyboards

I would like to say the same, but when writing or coding the virtual keyboard covers up the screen. I just want to be able to see a good portion of the text while typing. Someone in another thread brought up the idea of having 2 touch screens. One could be used for display and the other, optionally, for keyboard. Sounds pretty cool.

Reaction score
I would like to say the same, but when writing or coding the virtual keyboard covers up the screen. I just want to be able to see a good portion of the text while typing. Someone in another thread brought up the idea of having 2 touch screens. One could be used for display and the other, optionally, for keyboard. Sounds pretty cool.

I'm not into coding on my phone. That is what my computer is for. :)

Reaction score
At least once/week I have to SSH in to fix/change something. Still, I like seeing the entire screen when writing a document/email. It helps with editing.

Don't take me wrong here, please. I am not trying to change your mind or convince you that you are wrong. :)

Just wanted that out of the way.

However... the editing is so easy on this phone with the on screen keyboard, especially with the crosshairs and long press options.

But, everyone has a preference. I loved physical keyboards (had them on my last 3 phones) for a long time but the screen on this phone has totally changed my view.

In the end, we all use what is more comfortable for us. :)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't take me wrong here, please. I am not trying to change your mind or convince you that you are wrong. :)

Ha ha, don't worry about it, I'm open to other perspectives.

Actually, I have a Droid X (OK, technically it's my girlfriend's but I'm on it more than she is). I haven't tried much text editing/coding on it. I'll try it out! One of the big reasons I like the physical keyboard, besides freeing up space to see more text on screen, is that you can do key combos very easily. This comes in especially handy when coding something like regular expressions.

Code:
$whatever =~ s/^.*(DROID).*?$/$1/;

I'm guessing that typing that on the virtual keyboard will take longer, but maybe not. Now that I think of it, some keyboards allow you to long press on a key to get the Alt-character. It may actually be faster and easier on a virtual keyboard. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the influence!

iDr0id

Reaction score
I wish i could give my opinion. Day 8 of waiting

Mine shipped 9 days after I ordered and will be here Wednesday so it shouldn't be long for you :)

So should I call for the 4th time now and ask if its shipped yet tommorow? Or you think they log everytime I call lol. If the dummy at verizon had asked me for an email address to track my shipment, I wouldnt have to call at all!@