Are smart watches dead?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article on Android Wear.

5 reasons it's worth buying an Android Wear watch right now

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Android Pay is a surprisingly convenient feature.
Fitness was a huge selling point for me (leave my phone at home, and still have my music and ability to track my sets).
Opening my door with a bluetooth lock was really the key [ummm, no pun intended!] to leaving everything else home.

I opted not to get the LTE version. But there have been times I wish I could make a call or hail a cab - didn't feel like paying $5 extra per month for a feature I'd rather not use.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
it was an interesting article. there is still one big reason not to, most are still too cotton pickin big.
Try Huawei smartwatch 1.0 from couple years ago. It's one of the smallest and me and my wife wear them. My tag heuer link was larger then Huawei.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The Huwaei is definitely a nice sized watch if you're looking for small. However, I don't find the Gear S3 Frontier to be too big. I see people with standard watches larger than the Gear without the versatility.

Love Samsung pay

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Try Huawei smartwatch 1.0 from couple years ago. It's one of the smallest and me and my wife wear them. My tag heuer link was larger then Huawei.

I have the gear s2 classic. I liked the round back because it helps hide the thickness. I mainly got it for Samsung pay though I do not use it as often as when I first got it. wish my bank would use samsung pay or even android pay. they are a bit behind the times.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The reality is that smartphones killed smart watches as the point of a watch is to know the time, but we have our phones in our hands most of the time and with always on or breathing displays we just have to look down at our phones to see the time.

The only watches that seem to have captured the market for the most part are the fitness watches.

Here is something else that's ironic, we say fragmentation is hurting Google but i think lack of fragmentation killed Google watches. Without any way to distinguish themselves they all looked the same. I think if the watches were opened up to sense or other custom software, manufactures could have paired it with their latest phone with custom software to interact with a particular phone.

Overall smartwatches ran into a number of obstacles and though Apple watch will survive, Google watch will need to find ways to get people interested. Unfortunately it may be too late but they could always open it to where you buy s phone and get free watch. That will at least get them in more hands and boost the chances people will wear them.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good points to think about PC. . I think price is another factor. I have never thought that any Android Wear watch (or iWatch) is worth the price. Over the three years I have been wearing AW watches I have received a lot of questions about what it is, what can it do, etc. Then most people say "I just can't afford to spend that much money on a watch".

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Then most people say "I just can't afford to spend that much money on a watch".

While holding a $5.00 Starbucks in there hand.

I guess I'm fortunate, I don't find the $250-$350 price to be too bad. I am at the point I hate being without it, especially at work. I am in construction and answer 90% of my calls via the watch and go grab the phone if I don't want others to hear what I'm talking about.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Looks like Google intentionally removed the Android Wear page from their Store and is now letting Amazon manage it at the new Amazon Android Wear store. As Google put it this will allow them to "reach more customers than ever.. "

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=15203391011

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The whole concept of a smart watch seems to have been forgotten, or maybe I just didn't understand it from the beginning. To act as an additional Notification panel for your phone...help us keep our faces out of our phones so much and enjoy the world around us. And still be able to stay connected with important notifications. That's why I bought one, and what I want a smart watch to do............

Couldn't have said it better. I wear my Huawei watch everyday. Love the face variety, and notifications. I prefer uncluttered watch faces.