Still using your watch?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As much as I like Google, it does amaze me how inflexible they can be. Users have been clamoring for more control over the notify bar, but Google seems to have selective hearing. 1,000s of people have asked to be able to remove the clock....

TapaTurbo

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I kind of like the notification being there all the time also. I am used to using that to know that my watch & phone are connected, and to open Android Wear. From what I read I assume people bombarded Google with requests to dismiss it. Cool, got it....not for everyone. But why go from one extreme to the other? How about choices? If you like the notification always there, have a choice. If you don't....dismiss it and it doesn't come back. Come on Google.....be together but be different. Choices!
Battery stats on the notification would also be a nice feature, again as you said, by choice. Want your battery stat? Have a check box in settings somewhere Don't want it? Uncheck the box. Having it poll only at certain times would be battery friendly but pretty accurate also.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I kind of like the notification being there all the time also. I am used to using that to know that my watch & phone are connected, and to open Android Wear. From what I read I assume people bombarded Google with requests to dismiss it. Cool, got it....not for everyone. But why go from one extreme to the other? How about choices? If you like the notification always there, have a choice. If you don't....dismiss it and it doesn't come back. Come on Google.....be together but be different. Choices!
I thought it would be nice to dismiss it. That's why i manually updated Play Services. But as soon as it was gone, I realized that I rely on it for the same things you do. Sure, my watch usually vibrates when it disconnects and Find My Phone pops up after the set delay that I put on it, but I like being able to pull the shade down, tap the notification and edit my watch, quick and easy.

First thing I did after dismissing it was to search for an option to turn it back on. Haha!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Update incoming: The Official Motorola Blog Moto 360 It s time for an update

It's definitely great news but it makes me wonder. If we already struggle to get good battery life now how is it going to be with wifi on?
Good question. I would think it'll take a noticeable hit. Will be interesting to see.

It'd be great to keep tied to my phone while within wifi range. I'm wondering if you'll have to have both devices on the same network, or if you could potentially leave the phone at home but still interact with the watch on wifi. Obviously wouldn't be that good for many things, but would be better than nothing if you didn't mean to leave the phone at home.

Sent from my Note 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good question. I would think it'll take a noticeable hit. Will be interesting to see.

It'd be great to keep tied to my phone while within wifi range. I'm wondering if you'll have to have both devices on the same network, or if you could potentially leave the phone at home but still interact with the watch on wifi. Obviously wouldn't be that good for many things, but would be better than nothing if you didn't mean to leave the phone at home.

Sent from my Note 4
Can't you reply to email and texts now? If so that'll pass along when remotely connected I would think by reading the article Verge posted in another thread.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Can't you reply to email and texts now? If so that'll pass along when remotely connected I would think by reading the article Verge posted in another thread.
Some of that depends on the phone. On my phone using stock Text and E Mail apps I cannot reply from phone...only dismiss and open on phone. But with G Mail I can reply, delete, etc. Some stick apps have AW compatibility and others do not. But in my case I have heard that Motos updates for Lollipop change the stock email and text apps. There are always Play Store apps that have Reply capability built in.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of that depends on the phone. On my phone using stock Text and E Mail apps I cannot reply from phone...only dismiss and open on phone. But with G Mail I can reply, delete, etc. Some stick apps have AW compatibility and others do not. But in my case I have heard that Motos updates for Lollipop change the stock email and text apps. There are always Play Store apps that have Reply capability built in.
Oh just wait until you get your first notification over Wi-Fi and respond to it.
It's a real hoot . As I said in another thread, my screen usage on my phone has gone from 4-5 hours a day to about 3 hours at most. If they added tapatalk to watches my phone screen time would be almost none each day lol.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well, for me, Jonny and Pere and others with the LG G I don't think we will ever see WiFi on out watches. I thought it was confirmed in another thread that the original LG G doe not have a WiFi antenna built in. No biggie for me personally, still like the watch and not buying a new one just for WiFi. Just don't think we will get to see any new WiFi functionality on our watch with this new update.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, for me, Jonny and Pere and others with the LG G I don't think we will ever see WiFi on out watches. I thought it was confirmed in another thread that the original LG G doe not have a WiFi antenna built in. No biggie for me personally, still like the watch and not buying a new one just for WiFi. Just don't think we will get to see any new WiFi functionality on our watch with this new update.
Bummer

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not for me. I mean having wifi seems like a cool idea. But I figured this watch at less than $100 would not have every single feature. I am fine with my watch being a BT device.