Application memory...

Sean

Reaction score
I've heard that when applications are downloaded they are installs directly in the phones internal memory. Since a 16GB SD card is included with the phone, is there any way to get apps to save to external memory instead?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
IIRC not without rooting it. In any case, properly developed apps should only store binaries (tiny) in memory and the resources (that actually eat up space) on the SD card.

LordKastle

Reaction score
There may be a way to get the Apps to SD without rooting the phone...Motorola just hasn't revealed a way yet.

OP
Sean

Sean

Reaction score
IIRC not without rooting it. In any case, properly developed apps should only store binaries in memory and the resources (that actually eat up space) on the SD card.

ooooh... ok cool! :icon_ banana:

ldimick

Reaction score
I have run across several apps that do not store their data on the SD card. It is inherently slower so some developers try to speed up their apps at the expense of primary space.

LordKastle

Reaction score
It's a good thing that developers can store data on the external drive. Allows for more storage.

Your right the application is more limited with internal storage. But the external storage allows you to have massive amounts of data files, or items such as music or movies with the ability to swap and change. Instead of just being limited to internal memory.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who knows? A app may appear in the Market that'll do that.

ballmore

Reaction score
This has been my biggest concern since November 6, 2010. I have been on the lookout for an app that will transfer the apps to sd so I can have more apps on my phone. I really don't like that no one has done this yet. I've contemplated rooting my phone, but then I heard that google is working on making that a feature in one of the updates AFTER 2.1.

Google hasn't done this yet because they don't want the apps to be pirated. 75% of the apps that people use are the free ones. They should have a way to let the free apps transfer at the very least.