how to install ALL APP to SD card instead of internal memory??

dfwdroid

Reaction score
hi fellow droids :)
does anyone know how to install all apps to the SD card instead of the internal phone memory?

Thanks!

Yodes

Reaction score
Not certain on this but isn't it possible to do this through a root application?

SmD71nG

Reaction score
I believe that with the 2.1 update coming soon apps will be able to be installed onto out SD cards.

deny or agree...anyone?

Reaction score
no. it wont happen with 2.1.

it's something developers will have to figure out, but i have a feeling it'll require a rooted phone if they do get it to work.

hobby31

Reaction score
Yeah, you have to have a rooted phone for this to work. It hasn't happened on the droid yet and it's what i'm waiting for and the main reason I rooted. This was possible on my tmobile g1. There were guides on how to do it and a lot of the custom roms would have it built in, especially the roms by Cyanogen. He put out some great roms. Even had his own updater that would alert you when he had an update to the rom. The internal file system of the droid is an ext3 or ext4 file system. I believe thats right. Anyway, the apps wont work on the fat32 file system that the sd cards are formated in. In order to do it on the g1, you would have to reformat your sd card into 2 different partitions. I generally allocated 1g to the ext3 file system and the rest to storage in the fat32 file system. So, on my g1 I had 1g of space to install apps. Now, the problem is, the sd cards that came with the Droids are class 2. For those that don't know, the class is how fast information is able to be read off the card. The guides recommended a class 6 sd card which of course is more expensive. A class 2 could cause glitches and serious lag of running apps. I ran a class 4 with pretty much no problems. The first time I did it there were no roms with it automatically built in so I had to follow a guide with a lot of terminal commands. Basically, you move a few folders from the phone over to the new partition of the sd card and then link them back to the phone so that the apps are installed to the sd card. It was pretty simple if you were comfortable with entering commands but as all mods it could brick your phone. I'm surprised one of the great "mod'ers" hasn't already done this. I'm already almost out of space on my droid and really don't want to delete any of the apps I have installed.

zero7starz

Reaction score
My apps on my G1 are installed to my SD card, its rooted though... so I'd say its possible yea. The thing is, that it'll A) Eventually make the SD card fail with out a doubt, and B) Once the SD card STARTS to fail, your phone will run very slow. This happens because as data is written and re-written to the flash memory of the SD card it eventually starts to kill it. It is a mod, and does require root.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Yeah, you have to have a rooted phone for this to work. It hasn't happened on the droid yet and it's what i'm waiting for and the main reason I rooted. This was possible on my tmobile g1. There were guides on how to do it and a lot of the custom roms would have it built in, especially the roms by Cyanogen. He put out some great roms. Even had his own updater that would alert you when he had an update to the rom. The internal file system of the droid is an ext3 or ext4 file system. I believe thats right. Anyway, the apps wont work on the fat32 file system that the sd cards are formated in. In order to do it on the g1, you would have to reformat your sd card into 2 different partitions. I generally allocated 1g to the ext3 file system and the rest to storage in the fat32 file system. So, on my g1 I had 1g of space to install apps. Now, the problem is, the sd cards that came with the Droids are class 2. For those that don't know, the class is how fast information is able to be read off the card. The guides recommended a class 6 sd card which of course is more expensive. A class 2 could cause glitches and serious lag of running apps. I ran a class 4 with pretty much no problems. The first time I did it there were no roms with it automatically built in so I had to follow a guide with a lot of terminal commands. Basically, you move a few folders from the phone over to the new partition of the sd card and then link them back to the phone so that the apps are installed to the sd card. It was pretty simple if you were comfortable with entering commands but as all mods it could brick your phone. I'm surprised one of the great "mod'ers" hasn't already done this. I'm already almost out of space on my droid and really don't want to delete any of the apps I have installed.

It has been rumored that Cyanogen will work on the Droid, which might be something that you might want to try if you're that comfortable with modding the droid phones. It should work the same way that putting in on the G1 did.

hobby31

Reaction score
Here is a link to the guides I used on my g1. Don't try this on the droid. Not sure if the file systems are set up the same.

HowTo: Root / Unroot / Install Cupcake & Custom ROM / Apps 2 SD - NEWB GUIDE

Halfway down the page is where the apps to sd stuff is. Anyone with more technical experience than me know if this could work?

Edit: I think you had to have a custom rom installed but I'm not quite sure. I think the custom rom is what allows this to happen but not sure. Could be why we've not seen it on the droid yet. There aren't a lot of custom roms out yet.

Last edited: