Application Memory

sampson2269

Reaction score
I only have like 32mb left for installing aplications. How do i make it so it uses my 16gb sd card for installing apps to?

Earthwalker

Reaction score
I understand that with the G1 the only way to do that is by gaining root access. I am sure that will need to be done before we can release the full potential of the droid.

DaHarder

Reaction score
I only have like 32mb left for installing aplications. How do i make it so it uses my 16gb sd card for installing apps to?

Seriously Now...

How many apps did you install?

I have some 50 installed, and still have some 183mb of 'app space' remaining.

Surely you must be storing some media files on the phone (memory) as opposed to the microSDHC card, which really doesn't make much sense.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the OP is confused with application memory and application storage.

TommyGrubz

Reaction score
This looks like the thread I was searching for. In advanced task killer free it shows available memory at the top - for me it shows 35 mb here.

I knew that couldn't be right because when I bought it the VZW rep said app memory was 256 on this phone. I checked the settings and found I actually have 236 remaining app memory.

Is this a bug with ATK? or am I missing something?

Droider

Reaction score
TommyGrubz, that 35mb that is remaining is like your RAM. It has nothing to do with the storage memory. You can of course use a Task Killer program and manually shut down apps running in the background and free up more "RAM." If your device starts running sluggishly, you might want to do that. However, Android is supposed to be able to manage memory and should automatically shutdown background apps when the memory is needed by active apps.

TommyGrubz

Reaction score
TommyGrubz, that 35mb that is remaining is like your RAM. It has nothing to do with the storage memory. You can of course use a Task Killer program and manually shut down apps running in the background and free up more "RAM." If your device starts running sluggishly, you might want to do that. However, Android is supposed to be able to manage memory and should automatically shutdown background apps when the memory is needed by active apps.

Okay, so basically I just need to learn to ignore it like I finally did with my Storms (after months of OCD memory observation) lol

But I am still a little curious, how much total RAM does the droid have if the 256 total app (storage) memory is separate?

Last edited:

Droider

Reaction score
I think the RAM is 256MB and about half is probably taken up with the core functions of the OS.

The built in flash memory is 512MB and about half is used up by Android and the other half is available for storage of apps.

andjarnic

Reaction score
This has me curious now too. I show 98MB free in ATK, but in the settings -> applications -> running services, I show 68MB + 54MB... not sure what that means. Even so, I thought we could build apps with the assumption of up to 256MB of available heap space. Not that I would want to use that much memory for a phone app, but I am curious how this works now. I think the JVM is supposed to act like an OS.. where it swaps memory out as needed.

I am curious if there is a memory swapping feature in the JVM (or at the OS level) on the phone, where does it swap memory to? ROM memory is not usable like RAM.. so when it says 512MB ROM. I assumed the android OS and linux OS was in that space. I did wonder if the 256MB ram is also consumed by the running OS, or if it was completely separate for android apps to use?

TommyGrubz

Reaction score

Thanks! That explains it pretty well.

I think I'll get rid of ATK. I mean, even though it shows 35 mb available, I could still download way more apps, right? I mean, the 236 available phone storage is what really counts if I'm getting this correct. And, I could probably download 10 more apps and still show 35 in ATK because Android will do its own thing to manage the memory, right???

Thanks for clarifying! I'm diggin this site :icon_ banana: