Apple v Samsung Epilogue; Real Impact of Case $12B ; Verdict Likely to be Overturned

armeddroid

Reaction score
My boy works at the USPTO and I asked him about his thoughts. He said the patents were given, how he is not clear. But he sent me a link on just a visual history of what Apple actually invented. It seems to be floating amongst his peers. They all have their own issues and thoughts about the verdict. Some of you may have already seen it. Just for entertainment purposes.
http://m.9gag.com/gag/5195630

Rindaen

Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with protecting your a patent for something you invented. There is something wrong with exploiting the broken patent system, to patent rediculous things like a square with rounded corners. It would be like Ford sueing Chevy because they use round wheels made of rubber. Or Coke sueing Pepsi, because they use pop cans also, that are both rounded with bevelled edges and a pop top. It's rediculous, and more a problem of our broken patent system.....

BUT what makes it extremely shady on Apples part, is that apple wasn't the first one to invent these things anyways. Other companies were doing this long before Apple. Rectangle devices with rounded corners existed long before the Iphone. Apple ripped off Xerox's GUI, and stole multitouch, pinch/tap to zoom, etc, that were developed by others, years before iphone even existed. Iphone stole these open source ideas, because they arent something that should be patentable, but they stole the ideas and dumped the money to patent them. I'm sorry but Apple did not invent these things. They just copied it from someone else, and then patent trolled it. Yet if someone else uses ideas from Xerox or one of those devices that were around long before iphone, Apple sues them. You may be blinded by the fanboism, but Apple is a monopolistic predator company who steals others ideas and tries to act all cutting edge as if they invented everything, when they are nothing but thiefs who play holier than thou. I would never give Apple a dime for any of their locked down idiotproof garbage.

Pinch to Zoom, Or the Rubber band effect , Apple invented or not,
it appears Apple owns the patent.
If there is previous art , i would think Samsung lawyers aren't doing a very good job.

I find it funny you mention Apple taking the GUI from Xerox, But don't mention the fact that Microsoft stole from Apple
which in the end helped lead to the Monopoly that is MS.

I am not blinded by "Fanboism" , Apple, Google, MS , None of them can say they didn't steal someone else's idea.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pinch to Zoom, Or the Rubber band effect , Apple invented or not,
it appears Apple owns the patent.
If there is previous art , i would think Samsung lawyers aren't doing a very good job.

I find it funny you mention Apple taking the GUI from Xerox, But don't mention the fact that Microsoft stole from Apple
which in the end helped lead to the Monopoly that is MS.

I am not blinded by "Fanboism" , Apple, Google, MS , None of them can say they didn't steal someone else's idea.
You're right: all of them have borrowed or stolen from each other. The difference is that Apple is the only one trying to patent general designs, trying to patent ideas that they did not invent--knowing fully that prior art exists in every instance-- and the only one trying to use those more than dubious patents to block competition in the marketplace.

AndroidSensei

Reaction score
This lawsuit was the silliest thing ever.

The basis of the lawsuit was ridiculous as the technology that Apple uses was out years before the iPhone ever emerged. And the design patents "Rectangular object with four slightly curved corners"? Sounds like my old Garmin. Give me a break: goo.gl/Zn7ZE

Last edited:

jaybogg

Reaction score
Waking up an old thread on something I was told today. My best friend works at a Sulfuric Acid Refinery in the Houston area and one of their products is "Ultra Pure Acid" which is used in the semiconductor manufacturing industry. All he has talked about for the past few months is the installation of another ultra pure unit that would double their capacity of ultra pure, which is one of their product offerings. Today he said the plans were cancelled. He told me that evidently, Apple had sued Samsung, and the Samsung fab in Central Texas had scaled down production, so the ultra pure distributor they were partnering with for the installation had cancelled the plans. He said their refinery saw a loss of 4 new jobs. A "unit" in refinery terms could be as small as a house to as large as a small city block.

Add to that the manufacturing jobs of the company supplying the unit, the fabrication/construction jobs for the installation of the unit, the distributor's new jobs to handle/distribute the product, and finally, the new and/or existing operator/tech/engineer jobs at the Samsung fab.

This is just one supply chain of thousands used by a semiconductor fab. For those who think Apple's actions have no impact on American jobs, you might want to rethink that assumption.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
[sarcasm]Well at least all those Apple tax dollars are staying in the country[/sarcasm]

captdroid

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
[sarcasm]Well at least all those Apple tax dollars are staying in the country[/sarcasm]

Yup in the country called China or mexico