Breaking News - In the Case of Apple vs. Samsung: Samsung found Guilty

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
SO now the 64 dollar question..since we bought a device that was sold as having such features, now if they are disabled are we not allowd to a return of the device if the capabilities are downgraded?
Nope.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Root, install TitBU and freeze the updating service.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

grgguy

Reaction score
Now THAT would be an awesome ad..

"According to the courts, we copied the IPhone...what we didn't copy was the price"

Hurry up and trademark that line before samsung steals it .....aaaahahahaa

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The US was in the lead for how long LOL? bailout in the past 5 years... hmmm every car maker int he US took the bailout Id say its fair to say the best did fail in the car companies.

lets not forget that the car companies in the US have failed before. The past 30 years was really the start of a major recovery that never got back to what their past was. The faith that was lost never fully came back even though many such as FORD have made some of the best cars(again)

edit: off topic but ya felt that sorta had to be pointed out seeing as you said the best car company will fail ~_~ they did.

GM is back in first and ford didn't get bailed out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't be able to patent an obvious idea. Period.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

You're not supposed to be able to. But what's happening is they patent a very generic form of the idea, without a working prototype, and it's so broad as to effectively be a patent on the obvious idea itself.

Androidatic

Reaction score
The patents that Apple is enforcing probably shouldn't have been granted but they were. Since they were Apple has the right to defend them.

I think the one thing that most people are overlooking is that innovation will be stifled if patents CAN'T be enforced. If I'm an inventor and come up with an original idea that anyone can come along and copy it, what incentive do I have to invent something else? The only way that there can be incentive to innovate is to protect that innovation with a patent. The only reason to innovate is to have something that no one else has so that I can profit from it. If I can't profit from it why should I spend money to innovate?

As bad as it is, we NEED patents so that people's idea can be protected. What is being patented is a different story, but if patents are being given, the owner has the right, and I say duty, to enforce that patent.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The patents that Apple is enforcing probably shouldn't have been granted but they were. Since they were Apple has the right to defend them.

I think the one thing that most people are overlooking is that innovation will be stifled if patents CAN'T be enforced. If I'm an inventor and come up with an original idea that anyone can come along and copy it, what incentive do I have to invent something else? The only way that there can be incentive to innovate is to protect that innovation with a patent. The only reason to innovate is to have something that no one else has so that I can profit from it. If I can't profit from it why should I spend money to innovate?

As bad as it is, we NEED patents so that people's idea can be protected. What is being patented is a different story, but if patents are being given, the owner has the right, and I say duty, to enforce that patent.

there's the problem... apple is given patents for things created decades earlier like multi touch and many other things

Androidatic

Reaction score
sweeeeet said:
there's the problem... apple is given patents for things created decades earlier like multi touch and many other things

I agree, but they were given the patent. Therein lies the problem. If they have the patents then they have the right to enforce them.

I won't argue that they SHOULDN'T have the patents, but they DO.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
but they dont have to be douchers about it

nikecar

Reaction score
I just don't see the validity in design patents. I could see the software things going either way.... But saying Samsung stole the look is like saying every 4 cylinder economy car LOoks the same. Either way it's a crappy blow to companies who improved on apples concepts (such as Samsung), and a good win for apple.
Googorola MAXX
There is a reason why certain cars look the same. Back in the day, Toyota and Honda were suing each other over the Prius and Insight designs. Turns out that design was due to the lowest possible coefficient for aerodynamic drag. That is why even the Volt is looking the same.

GM is back in first and ford didn't get bailed out

GM is back in 1st based in part of the business they have set up in china. over 2M cars sold there this past year. They aren't necessarily cars made here and taken over there. That said, per the WSJ in their most recent YTD numbers, in the US market, Chevy is #2 in car sales here, behind Toyota. The strength of Chevy's truck division has helped them propel to #1 overall in the US.

however some of those stats are misleading as a large number of vehicles are fleet sales. GM also counts vehicles sent to dealers as "sold" even though they aren't. GM trucks have increased their on lot time by over 20 days recently. Meaning instead of 110-ish days on a lot before being sold, they are now sitting over 130+ days. Industry average likes it to be half of that.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
How is it that Apple can create their own Mapping App that looks an awful lot like Google Maps?
View attachment 55290
Aren't they copying all kinds of aspects of Google Maps?
Gee...their turn by turn navigation icon looks an awful lot like the one in Google Maps.
I wonder if Google has any patents on Google Maps functionality and whatnot?

Apple is the definition of "hypocrite". They steal more than anyone.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
GM is back in 1st based in part of the business they have set up in china. over 2M cars sold there this past year. They aren't necessarily cars made here and taken over there.

nothing to do with total sales.. a lot of American cars sold in America aren't built in America or assembled lol

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is it that Apple can create their own Mapping App that looks an awful lot like Google Maps?
View attachment 55290
Aren't they copying all kinds of aspects of Google Maps?
Gee...their turn by turn navigation icon looks an awful lot like the one in Google Maps.
I wonder if Google has any patents on Google Maps functionality and whatnot?

Apple is the definition of "hypocrite". They steal more than anyone.

I thought I read somewhere that they're getting their map tech stuff from Garmin or tomtom