Apple vs Samsung Dispute Back in the Courts; Apple Wants $380 Million More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apple-vs-samsung-knight-fight.jpg

It seems like so long ago (because it was) that Apple defeated Samsung in a California court winning a $1 Billion+ verdict against the company. Shortly thereafter the award was reduced by Judge Lucy Koh down to $600 Million. This was because the judge felt the way the jury calculated the damages during the trial were erroneous. The new re-trial for that particular part of the case just kicked off yesterday, and Apple is trying to prove that Judge Koh should increase the damages by another $380 Million. This would put the total amount nearly back to what it was before she reduced it.

This new trial has eight jurors assigned to the case. They will be determining just how much Samsung should owe Apple for infringing on five patents. Apple came up with this $380 million figure, claiming they calculated their lost profits and royalties owed to them. Apple is also claiming that Samsung made over $3.5 billion in revenue by selling infringing products.

The decision in this case should come within just a few weeks. It's important to note that this is a separate damages trial in this case. It is not the Samsung appeal case for the entire verdict. That trial is set in March of 2014.

Source: TechnoBuffalo

Big Ry

Reaction score
How it's this an entirely separate suit? So they can sue for the same damages twice?

Tapped from my G2

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not a separate suit... it's just a separate trial from the appeals trial. This is Apple appealing the Judge's verdict on the damages. Later on in March, Samsung will get their appeal for the entire lawsuit.

Big Ry

Reaction score
It's not a separate suit... it's just a separate trial from the appeals trial. This is Apple appealing the Judge's verdict on the damages. Later on in March, Samsung will get their appeal for the entire lawsuit.

Ah, ok, I see now. So this could all end up being a waste if Google wins the appeal?

Tapped from my G2

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Has Samsung cut off Apple's supply of parts already? I heard that Samsung owns the factory that makes certain integrated circuits or some other parts used by Apple in the iPhone and iPad products. It seems if that is true that Samsung could just cut Apple off at the knees. Hasn't Apple already spent $380 million in legal fees at this point? :wink::rolleyes:

Bottomline, Samsung holds the torch in the innovation and progress departments. Apple just isn't being innovative anymore.

acousticshade

Reaction score
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Allowing a jury of uneducated "peers" to decide a case where multi-millions of dollars are at stake. Your average jury is typically uneducated on specific matters of the trial. This is done intentionally in an attempt to reduce bias. Unfortunately in cases where complex ideas or technology are in play, this is akin to asking a dog to perform complex algebra.

Except for the foreman in this trial, I would doubt that most of the jury had any real understanding of technology and how the patent system works. So the foreman, who was probably somewhat charismatic and intelligent on these matters led the rest of the herd down a path littered with his biased opinions. Then all kinds of crazy assumptions were made regarding sales figures, potential sales figures, etc, etc. With these kinds of incalcuable risks associated with a trial, how can anyone come to the conclusion that the US justice system is fair?! You mind as well spin a roulette wheel and get ready to cough up a random figure of cash with a large percentage of that going to fund those in charge of creating and maintaining this broken system.

/steps off soapbox/

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Allowing a jury of uneducated "peers" to decide a case where multi-millions of dollars are at stake. Your average jury is typically uneducated on specific matters of the trial. This is done intentionally in an attempt to reduce bias. Unfortunately in cases where complex ideas or technology are in play, this is akin to asking a dog to perform complex algebra.

Except for the foreman in this trial, I would doubt that most of the jury had any real understanding of technology and how the patent system works. So the foreman, who was probably somewhat charismatic and intelligent on these matters led the rest of the herd down a path littered with his biased opinions. Then all kinds of crazy assumptions were made regarding sales figures, potential sales figures, etc, etc. With these kinds of incalcuable risks associated with a trial, how can anyone come to the conclusion that the US justice system is fair?! You mind as well spin a roulette wheel and get ready to cough up a random figure of cash with a large percentage of that going to fund those in charge of creating and maintaining this broken system.

/steps off soapbox/

One thing missing from this. A jury made of people from Apple's back yard ;)
Lawyers being all honest with total integrity would never use this to their advantage (sarcasm)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2