Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

rjenk

Reaction score
This is a prime example of why the Patent and Trademark office needs a complete overhaul. There are so many patents issued over the last few years for common functions that pretty soon there will be a patent on a method of gas exchange that imports oxygen, processes it, and outputs carbon dioxide.

jbdavies

Reaction score
This patent is so generic, that I don't know if the new Sense 3.0 would even be safe. Or Samsungs puzzle piece. Read this again.

A device with a touch-sensitive display may be unlocked via gestures performed on the touch-sensitive display. The device is unlocked if contact with the display corresponds to a predefined gesture for unlocking the device. The device displays one or more unlock images with respect to which the predefined gesture is to be performed in order to unlock the device. The performance of the predefined gesture with respect to the unlock image may include moving the unlock image to a predefined location and/or moving the unlock image along a predefined path. The device may also display visual cues of the predefined gesture on the touch screen to remind a user of the gesture. In addition, there is a need for sensory feedback to the user regarding progress towards satisfaction of a user input condition that is required for the transition to occur.

That doesn't just specifically say the slide to unlock. Using Sense 3.0, having to slide the wheel upwards, or sliding the phone icon to the circle, that's all technically covered under this BS patent.

Unless I'm wrong?

sb1831

Reaction score
It's a generic UI .. I can name nameless products that you use 'slide to open'. Just because it was incorporated into their product doesn't justify a patent. I'm surprised they didn't copyright the term 'personal computer'.

Can you off of the top of your head without googling name me one device with a touch screen that used slide to unlock in it's UI prior to an Apple product? Where it was actually intuitive what to do to unlock the device?

Last edited by a moderator:

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Whose the idiot(s) giving them these patents? Can they really patent something other companies are already using? Isn't that like entrapment or something..(can't remember the word)

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whose the idiot(s) giving them these patents? Can they really patent something other companies are already using? Isn't that like entrapment or something..(can't remember the word)
Well the patent is from a couple years ago and it's just finally passing but there is no way they should have ever been granted a patent for this.

Beardface

Reaction score
This patent is so generic, that I don't know if the new Sense 3.0 would even be safe. Or Samsungs puzzle piece. Read this again.

That doesn't just specifically say the slide to unlock. Using Sense 3.0, having to slide the wheel upwards, or sliding the phone icon to the circle, that's all technically covered under this BS patent.

Unless I'm wrong?

Nah, Sense 3.0 is safe, because there is no predefined path that the disk has to follow. As long as you just raise it from the bottom to anywhere else, you don't violate the patent. The fact that the disk itself it free moving should be enough for HTC to completely avoid any arbitration, and should be incentive enough for them to push out 3.0 to all devices ASAP.

The Samsung puzzle piece could be an issue, but once again, as long as you have to follow a predefined path to get it to the right spot.

Moto Blur and stock Android are clear violations of the patent, though, and would need to be redesigned.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It appears the hypocrisy of this forum knows no bounds. Really? Complain because a company had the fore site to protect their IP 6 years ago? It's totally justified to complain if someone take a rom themes it and calls it their own, but it's not ok to complain if they only use a small part of your UI? Which is it?

I agree with that. Here's the thing tho: If Apple doesnt go after theme makers of Windows OS's that make it look like OS X...and theme, launcher makers on Android.....there would be hypocrisy all around... Last time I even thought of theming my Windows PC was years ago. There has been OS X themes on the net for Windows for years and years.

Last edited:
R

RETG

Next they will trademark the word God, in memory of Jobs.

(Yes, I have a very black sense of humor and yes, I was in federal law enforcement for many, many years. Kind of goes hand-in-hand.)

jbdavies

Reaction score
Next they will trademark the word God, in memory of Jobs.

(Yes, I have a very black sense of humor and yes, I was in federal law enforcement for many, many years. Kind of goes hand-in-hand.)
I love this. :) Haha. I'm stealing it, BTW. ;) Unless... you're going to trademark it.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
From now on Apple will be known as "Sour Apple". Maybe they need to patent the little green worm too... :dry: ridiculous. While people are bobbing for apples, Apple is bobbing for patent and profits.

:soapbox:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah the next thing you know they'll be trying to trademark use of the word Apple.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I'm no longer from the Big Apple.... I'm from the Big New York

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums