Google Locks in a New Lock Screen Patent - New Ways to Fight the Trolls!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-Pattern-Lock_thumb.jpg

Not too long ago we reported that Apple was granted a new slide-to-unlock lock-screen patent and that it could spell potential trouble for Android. Luckily, Google decided to be proactive and develop their own defensive strategy to fight the trolls. They recently won a new lock-screen patent, that could even bring new features and functionality to Android. It's called “Touch Gesture Actions From A Device’s Lock Screen." Here's a quote with the description from the filing document,
A lock screen view is displayed on the mobile device to prevent unauthorized and inadvertent access to the mobile device’s data. While the mobile device is locked, a touch gesture having a pre-defined shape is detected on a touch screen of the mobile device independently of the initial position of the touch gesture on the touch screen.
The filing document also had this to say,
In response to detection of the touch gesture, a particular action is executed on the mobile device while the mobile device stays locked. The particular action determined according to the pre-defined shape. In this way, detection of the touch gesture causes the particular action to execute while keeping the mobile device locked.

google-patent-android-lockscreen-new.gif

Besides the fact that it gives Google some good armor for the future, it apparently will offer Android users some potential additional usefulness. What ways can you see yourself using this tech?

Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice

Eric18

Reaction score
This is really encouraging to know that even though :iphone: Apple is being Immature and tacking advantage of the court system. That Android (Google) is coming out on top and become better than previously imagined thanks to Apples tactics.:big smile:

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I think apple is following that same path other manufacturers do when things get stale: if you can't innovate, litigate.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I don't see how this relates to apple's patent for the screen unlock that was recently posted here. For Android phones you still have to unlock the screen to get to the phone unlock pattern shown here. If this is the way Android will go to unlock the screen, it's going to be a pain in the butt. So instead of running my finger across the screen (or up/down), I will now have to draw a pattern to unlock the screen? Hopefully that isn't the way it ends up.