Google Files for New Device Unlocking Patent to Bypass any Future Issues with Apple

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fcc-new-device-unlock-patent-from-google.jpg

It looks like the crafty folks at Google have decided to "head Apple off at the pass", when it comes to Apple's slide-to-unlock patent disputes. Google engineers and/or patent experts have just filed for a patent on a new way to unlock devices.

In case you haven't followed the Apple vs. the "world" news much, Apple is suing Samsung and Motorola for various violations of a "slide-to-unlock" patent, that many people feel is a bogus patent to begin with. Google isn't having any of that though, and instead of needlessly fighting potentially wasteful battles on that front, they are "going over the top" and skipping the issue altogether in the future. Their new patent application is for an "Input to Locked Computing Device" method of locking and unlocking your device. Here's a quick quote from Engadget's article with some more details,

...the application claims a method for a device unlocking process using one or more user inputs while simultaneously executing a command -- like calling a specific contact or opening an application. Those user inputs can take the form of passcodes, touch and drag, or audio commands. While the application's drawings depict such a system on a phone, it claims an unlocking system for desktops and laptops as well, so it could easily find its way onto a Chromebook or two.

Clever Google. Very clever...

Source: Engadget

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmm
like calling a specific contact or opening an application

technically if you think about this it includes regular unlocking as well so apple cant complain, regular unlocking would just be unlocking to the launcher app...just to clarify for anyone who might be wondering

eryck22

Reaction score
Still looks like a "slide" to unlock to me...I think the only way around it is to add a physical key to unlock the phone. Apple sucks!

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Apple haven't really achieved any significant results with all their law suits yet though.. i feel that they will get tired eventually as they will understand they can't focus on what other people do if they want to stay in business... plus they have all this Chinese iPad fiasco now to deal with..

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
How about voice wake up? You touch a one button and speak what ever catch phrase you like! Or just hold it up to your mouth and yell "Wake up!"

That would use too much power, but one button that you press and hold and then speak into it, seems very useful and fairly easy to do.

Hey it's no dumber that face recon! I mean staring at your phone waiting for it to come on is kinda silly.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still looks like a "slide" to unlock to me...I think the only way around it is to add a physical key to unlock the phone. Apple sucks!
Apple's claim is "slide to unlock", this looks more like slide to "execute command". I think you will see your "lockscreen" have a few buttons on it now, ie: Launcher, Phone, Messaging, camera, etc. While your phone will be unlocking to execute those those commands, they will avoid the whole slide to unlock issue. Plus, it will limit Apple's ability of ever offering shortcuts on their lockscreen. I think it's an excellent idea, and something many ROM developers have done for a while.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Plus, it will limit Apple's ability of ever offering shortcuts on their lockscreen. I think it's an excellent idea, and something many ROM developers have done for a while.

Will they be able to receive a patent on this if ROM devs have implemented it already (prior art)?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will they be able to receive a patent on this if ROM devs have implemented it already (prior art)?

i doubt the devs would ever make a fuss about it :p...besides it obviously hasnt been PATENTED yet, if anyone might possibly have a patent on it, it would be HTC (latest version of sense can have shortcuts like this)