Apple Snatches Up Blockbuster Patent

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because they are still rolling off the pipeline and innovation from tablets and smartphones. Smartphone prices are being arbitrarily propped-up by the carriers. Who knows how long that lasts but no one seems to care. But smartphones and tablet are still in the growth phase, and will probably be for another few years. But then supply takes over and starts to eat into margins. There's very little margin in PC's, aside from software and processors, and smartphones/tablets will go the same way. Apple has been able to maintain a premium with their marketing/branding in PC's, but I don't see it in tablets because Android has many more choices and substitutes. If it's not about sheeple, as you point out, Android is a serious threat to the bottom line in the long-run on multiple fronts.

I don't think they are going anywhere because of the money they rake in from ITunes with apps and mp3's, movies, etc. Of course, both Google and Amazon are going after a chunk of that business pretty aggressively, not to mention VZW potentially buying Netflix. It's very hard to stay on top, and if history is any guide Apple won't stay there for long.

Just saying MS was a top dog at one point, too, but has been just a dog for most of the past decade because they didn't innovate and didn't have anything productive to do with their cash (not to mention a series of failed new ventures).

I think its just a confusion on the topic being discussed. I was originally responding to the person who said "Steve Jobs is dead and so is Apple, it'll take a while but they'll fizzle out". I wasn't saying they will remain on top forever, I'm saying they are in ZERO danger of just fizzling out anytime soon. Meaning we're not going to be saying "Apple? What's that??" in 10 years. They'll be every bit as relevant then as they are now, barring a royal screwup of epic proportions from them (aka no chance).

Will some other tech company become the most successful company in the world? Maybe, but don't bet on it. Apple is a juggernaut, not just in tech, but in business in general. Suggesting that because Jobs died, that they'll start fizzling out is a ridiculous assertion (especially since they just posted their best quarter in their history). Tim Cook, though not as flashy and arrogant as Jobs, is a very capable CEO, and their R&D dept is one of the best in the world. Innovation is not going to come to a halt just because one person is no longer here.

I understand what you're saying about smartphones and tablets being in the growth phase, and you are right. But you can't assume that Apple is just going to come to an innovation standstill. They have plenty of new products in the pipeline that will keep them relevant for years to come and the growth phase you mentioned gives them some leeway on innovation (which again is not a requirement for every iteration of your product).

The iPad3 is not going to be anything super innovative, but it's going to sell more then every Android tablet combined. That's a more logical assumption then the one about Apple fizzling out...but yes, we'll talk in ten years! haha