Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
All the other companies have to do is prove this simple gesture was used before Apple "invented" it and the patent becomes invalid. I really don't see this being an issue at all.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
What's "flicking" or "bouncing" of photos? Sounds like fun.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
All the other companies have to do is prove this simple gesture was used before Apple "invented" it and the patent becomes invalid. I really don't see this being an issue at all.

The issue is that Saint Apple even does this stuff and wastes tax payer dollars tying up courts with this nonsense. If they took the tens of millions that they allocate to their Legal Stormtrooper division and invested it in R&D, they might retake some of the lost ground in the phone market...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The issue is that Saint Apple even does this stuff and wastes tax payer collars tying up courts with this nonsense. If they took the tens of millions that they allocate to their Legal Stormtrooper division and invested it in R&D, they might retake some of the lost ground in the phone market...

Like I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where Apple goes from here with the new CEO, will he carry on Jobs' vendetta or move on. I don't think all the lawsuits are just Jobs being pissed but after reading some of the Isaacson book on Jobs, it is a bit clearer how much he hated Android and most competition.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where Apple goes from here with the new CEO, will he carry on Jobs' vendetta or move on. I don't think all the lawsuits are just Jobs being pissed but after reading some of the Isaacson book on Jobs, it is a bit clearer how much he hated Android and most competition.

He loved competition so long as he was winning. As soon as the scale tips and he starts losing, he is a man that cannot handle it.

Without that lunatic at the helm, it will be interesting to see where they go. Maybe they will get back to making new exciting products again...

sb1831

Reaction score
It appears the hypocrisy of this forum knows no bounds. Really? Complain because a company had the fore site to protect their IP 6 years ago? It's totally justified to complain if someone take a rom themes it and calls it their own, but it's not ok to complain if they only use a small part of your UI? Which is it?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It appears the hypocrisy of this forum knows no bounds. Really? Complain because a company had the fore site to protect their IP 6 years ago? It's totally justified to complain if someone take a rom themes it and calls it their own, but it's not ok to complain if they only use a small part of your UI? Which is it?

Apple patented SOMEONE ELSE'S IP. Another handset already had this feature on a phone. Apple took someone else's feature, and filled out a patent application for it and submitted it as their own.

It wasn't about protecting their IP six years ago, it was about them using the flawed patent laws to "legally" steal someone else's IP six years ago.

Big difference.

akhi216

Reaction score
The issue is that Saint Apple even does this stuff and wastes tax payer dollars tying up courts with this nonsense. If they took the tens of millions that they allocate to their Legal Stormtrooper division and invested it in R&D, they might retake some of the lost ground in the phone market...

This.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
I feel that this patent is too vague and should be revoked. Just ridiculous how companies have to rely on patents to get ahead instead true innovation. This is why I switched from iOS!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

It's a generic UI .. I can name nameless products that you use 'slide to open'. Just because it was incorporated into their product doesn't justify a patent. I'm surprised they didn't copyright the term 'personal computer'.

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score
It's a generic UI .. I can name nameless profucts that you use 'slide to open'. Just because it was incorporated into their product doesn't justify a patent. I'm surprised they didn't copyright the term 'personal computer'.

+1

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

sjackson007

Reaction score
I used to admire Jobs for his ambition and his desire to make the perfect product. I lost respect when he wouldn't admit the iPhone 4 design was flawed with the external antenna and the "death grip ". I wont own another apple product.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to admire Jobs for his ambition and his desire to make the perfect product. I lost respect when he wouldn't admit the iPhone 4 design was flawed with the external antenna and the "death grip ". I wont own another apple product.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

It's a phone.

Last edited by a moderator: