Apple Files Lawsuit Against HTC For Infringing On 20 iPhone Patents

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can we move this away from the off-topic to the general discussion. The latest update says that Apple is specifically going after android in the lawsuit. This is going to get ugly.

Apple specifically going after Android in HTC lawsuit -- Engadget

Sounds like Apple is testing the water with a smaller fish because they know they don't want to piss off Google (well, anymore than they have already). But this is actually likely to work as a to disadvantage Apple (again, on par for them)... It's going to give Android (and HTC) a lot of free press and introduce a lot of people to Android and make others more curious about it and perhaps willing to take the dive. Not to mention when it comes to software these type of suits (patent suits particularly) are pretty stupid because the code in question is easily, quickly and (often) cheaply changed and as with most suits this will be tied up in the courts for so long it seams a waste of money on Apple's part.

JCo352

Reaction score
Folks, this isn't a bunch of adolescents arguing about who owns a football. It's business. Being "nice" or "feeling the heat" has nothing to do with any of this. Carving up intellectual property rights in new technology is an ongoing process that involves negotiations, licensing, and legal strategies. Apple is no worse (and no better) than any of the other players involved. They're simply in the business of protecting their patents and trademarks and seeking to be paid for what they can get and paying as little as possible for what they use. Just like everybody else.

Do they make what appear to be outrageous claims in legal briefs? Sure. That's the way the game is played. Do they (and others) pick on poor little guys who pose no threat to their business? Absolutely. If they don't their legal position is significantly weakened when a real threat comes along.

And by the way, Apple didn't sue Verizon. AT&T sued Verizon over their advertising. And further, while Nokia did sue Apple for patent infringement, Apple also sued Nokia for patent infringement.

Good guys and bad guys and black hats and white hats have nothing to do with any of this. It's simply a matter of dollars (and euros) and cents. Who pays and who gets paid.

You make some good points, but Apple IS feeling the heat. They are filing these suits because Android is growing at an alarming rate, and therefore cutting into Apple's pockets. This is why they are going for an injuction, they feel the heat, and they don't want to innovate, they want to stifle a growing competitor.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apple is grasping at straws.

You make some good points, but Apple IS feeling the heat. They are filing these suits because Android is growing at an alarming rate, and therefore cutting into Apple's pockets. This is why they are going for an injuction, they feel the heat, and they don't want to innovate, they want to stifle a growing competitor.

Stifle is right.... they want to rest on their laurels, not create.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i agree, they are suing android because we are growing so quickly. and that explains why they dont sue palm, nobody (not really anyways) likes them, so they arent a problem

Bigg 27

Reaction score
Well I heard that Apple is suing a T-shirt maker that prints Android shirts...apparently Apple made a similar shirt, with an Apple on it, that goes on by putting your head through a hole in the top and your arm through these things called "sleeves".

Well, turns out that this is the same way that you put on the Apple shirt so they obviously claimed infringement due to similar process. Yeah, and Apple invented "sleeves" too...

NVash

Reaction score
Well crap. I tried to read that but dont understand any of that lawyer talk and instead skimmed. So they want to cease production and get triple damages plus interest. Theyre going after, seemingly, the whole Android system. Meaning no more Android phones and they may just bankrupt the company. Wow.

Yes, I think it is safe to say that they are indeed feeling the heat.

krighton

Reaction score
Well crap. I tried to read that but dont understand any of that lawyer talk and instead skimmed. So they want to cease production and get triple damages plus interest. Theyre going after, seemingly, the whole Android system. Meaning no more Android phones and they may just bankrupt the company. Wow.

if you think Google will just sit back and do nothing while Android is obliterated...think again.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score

if you think Google will just sit back and do nothing while Android is obliterated...think again.

im pretty sure Google is at the point where they have a few nuclear warheads at their disposal .

that is unless apple already had a patent on a warhead

im thinking the droid forums admins should remove the I Phone smiley before they sue you too!11!11

guys, we should feel sorry for apple, they are only trying to make money. Meanwhile Google has dedicated a team of workers to help create a website to reunite families that were torn apart by earthquakes in both Haiti and Chile... but when it comes down to money, the devastated families can wait .

johall07

Reaction score
Well I heard that Apple is suing a T-shirt maker that prints Android shirts...apparently Apple made a similar shirt, with an Apple on it, that goes on by putting your head through a hole in the top and your arm through these things called "sleeves".

Well, turns out that this is the same way that you put on the Apple shirt so they obviously claimed infringement due to similar process. Yeah, and Apple invented "sleeves" too...

best post in the thread

Stories

Reaction score

Exactly. Google will get involved and back the largest maker of Android-based phones. Most of these claims by Apple and patents look like they could be easily overturned anyhow you look at it.

slinky

Reaction score
Much of patent law is, unfortunately, flooding the office with semi-obvious "inventions" that are designed to be sufficiently stated in complicated fashion for an examiner to grant a patent. Afterwards, second comers then will have the question of whether to do what is pretty obvious and have to defend their actions against an already decided upon issue.

Remember the Amazon one click patent? It's called "querying a database" in laymens terms. It's what I would consider the obvious progress of technology not owned by anyone and not a brilliant business and technological method that needed "inventing." Lots of things are absurd. How about a variable rate windshield wiper? Does it need saying that sometimes you need a wiper to go faster and slower?

NVash

Reaction score
Its been awhile and I was just going through my subscribed threads. Any news on this?