HTC sued by Apple

dtartini

Reaction score
It is a legal game... and if they get Google to slow down... even a little, or make them second guess adding pinch and zoom to other devices, then they are getting the desired effect.

Well, the real effect of this lawsuit is broadcasting to the public that Android is a legitimate threat and that Apple is scared of android taking away market share. Apple just validated Android in a big way.

I agree. This may even give more attention to Android and HTC in a good way and backfire at Apple.

johnflo88

Reaction score
Back to the subject at hand....Im thinking Steve Jobs is upset because there is so much competition with the Iphone now IMO. Im not sure why he takes his frustration out on HTC when its the OS that has many of the features he says is copyright infringement. Who knows maybe he will fire away next at Google.
@dtartini;obviously,after the kidney operation and the i-backlashed ipad the man is not feeling well.He is turning into a lunatic.:icon_ devil:

Reaction score
Wow... i'm gonna apply for a patent on using the word "ho". And when its accepted i'll sue the living hell out of Apple for using my two letters in their Ip"ho"ne.

Its as vague and non related but thats how stupid some of the arguments in their case are. Lame how low Ap-hole has to go to rule the market.

What's next? I bet you Ap-hole is trying to trademark "music" to make sure no other person can say or apply "music" to a device without infringing on patents.:icon_ devil:

Bye Ap-hole.... not even an Itune shall be even looked at by me.:icon_ devil:

dtartini

Reaction score
Back to the subject at hand....Im thinking Steve Jobs is upset because there is so much competition with the Iphone now IMO. Im not sure why he takes his frustration out on HTC when its the OS that has many of the features he says is copyright infringement. Who knows maybe he will fire away next at Google.
@dtartini;obviously,after the kidney operation and the i-backlashed ipad the man is not feeling well.He is turning into a lunatic.:icon_ devil:

The obvious explination for all this is that he was given same potent pain killers after the surgery and is still coming down off em....no he was like this before then. oh well

johall07

Reaction score
Wow... i'm gonna apply for a patent on using the word "ho". And when its accepted i'll sue the living hell out of Apple for using my two letters in their Ip"ho"ne.

Its as vague and non related but thats how stupid some of the arguments in their case are. Lame how low Ap-hole has to go to rule the market.

What's next? I bet you Ap-hole is trying to trademark "music" to make sure no other person can say or apply "music" to a device without infringing on patents.:icon_ devil:

Bye Ap-hole.... not even an Itune shall be even looked at by me.:icon_ devil:

Pirated by iTunes, Artist Turns to BitTorrent | TorrentFreak

R1Lover

Reaction score
I also just read a few news articles that some well known app developers from the apple side of the fence have moved over to android as there is much more money to be made from android compared to apple. Apple seems to take a very sizable portion of the app's whereas android is much more profitable. These are the words of a a recent app deveolper that has made the move over.

I see this as a very good thing, we will get much better apps and more of them for android.

Apple, how's that working for ya? lmao

I love it when a someone with such a big head get's a shot to the chin.

Game4set

Reaction score
Hey guys do you think that the reason Motorola hasn't released the newest droid update was because they had a sence that Apple was going to do something like this? I mean I can see Motorola not wanting to be involved in this mess.

iPirate

Reaction score
Hey guys do you think that the reason Motorola hasn't released the newest droid update was because they had a sence that Apple was going to do something like this? I mean I can see Motorola not wanting to be involved in this mess.
No.

And if you read the patents, Motorola is already involved along with almost every phone for the past 5 years. :icon_ banana:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yup droid is safe, nexus may catch some heat, but I doubt it. If I was HTC i would capitalize by advertising it as the phone that ticked apple off.

johall07

Reaction score
yup droid is safe, nexus may catch some heat, but I doubt it. If I was HTC i would capitalize by advertising it as the phone that ticked apple off.

they should have a commercial "it's O.K. to poke the beast.......when you're made with google"

Reaction score
Guys,
The reason this lawsuit is filed NOW is because Apple just got the patent for multi-touch locked down 2 weeks ago. They were waiting on that because it's the lynch-pin to all the others. Steve Jobs clearly said at the introduction of the iPhone that they had applied for over 300 patents and they would vigorously defend them. Apple now has the legal right to defend themselves now that they officially OWN all the patents involved. In the same way they have had to pay other companies that ownd patents that they infringed on, Apple now is defending their own Intellectual Properties. They learned with windows to lock up patents and pursue them.

They aren't going after HTC because they feel threatened. They are just STARTING with HTC because they are Google's "official" partner. They can't go after Google because Google doesn't sell the OS, they just put it out there and let the manufacturers port it to their phones. They make money off the ads that run not off the OS. Apple can't sue them because they aren't the ones physically implementing the infringement.
You will see them go after every Android and Windows 7 Mobile and Palm phone out there (and maybe some of the pseudo-smart phones) eventually, as well as any computers using Multi-touch and other patents. ESPECIALLY with iPad coming out they are going to make sure they can lock up anything they have. This doesn't mean these companies are going to stop carrying them, what it means is that to continue using these features, they'll have to license them. I don't want to see my Droid handicapped in any way and I think Android is a much better OS because of it's lack of being locked down like the iPhone OS, but at the same time, Motorola and the others should have done due diligence. I think Motorola has tried to avoid the problems by NOT implementing "multi-touch" out of the box. If they add it with 2.1, I think Apple will pursue them.

Whether you agree with the way they are doing it, what they are doing is their right as the patent owners. They legally obtained them and were awarded them by the patent office. All these manufacturers were warned but they hoped Apple wouldn't be awarded the patents. They rolled the dice and now they have to decide how much those features are worth.

Also, to clear up a few things. Prada came AFTER iPhone 1. It's a single touch phone running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 with a pseudo iPhone interface. It was the first "iPhone Killer".

Another thing, None of Apple's patent lawsuits have been "tossed". Microsoft one was settled when Jobs came back and had to do something to fix the mess Amelio had made. Apple dropped the lawsuit in exchange for Microsoft agreeing to supply software and a loan to get out of the money crunch Apple was in in the mid 90's. Apple and HP have never been on opposite sides of the litigation table. Nokia and Apple are still very much in the heat of battle right now. None have been dropped.

Xerox PARC was approached by Apple and given the right to purchase pre IPO stock in exchange for Apple being able to develop a mouse driven GUI. Xerox declined the stock but said they didn't care what Apple developed. Xerox never patented it or used it commercially, only sold it to proprietary custom installs. They eventually tried to sue, after Apple was successful with it and Microsoft released windows and the litigation between Apple and Microsoft heated up. Xerox decided to go after Apple but had their lawsuit tossed because they had no patent and the statute of limitations had expired based on the last time they offered it as a product for sale and the time they filed the suit.

In the past few years, they've been the victim of Patent Trolls more than they've pursued any patents but they made if VERY clear when they announced the iPhone that they wouldn't put up with any patent infringements.

I think Apple is making a mistake in how closed the iPhone system has become and probably how closed the iPad will be too but they have legally done the leg work and they are defending it. I HOPE they don't do the prick thing and refuse to license the technology or charge non-competitive prices to license them. If they do that, then they will open themselves up for non-competitive practice lawsuits. It will be interesting to see what the other manufacturers come up with to compete now.

Mr.Waters

Reaction score
^long ass message. it like appeared after i had posted mine. But no i gotta disagree with you a little bit there, mainly because something as simple as multi-touch would not be patentable, patents apply to technology, not to the ideas behind the technology, as well as products. Patents are made to fuel innovation, in this case it would be utterly ridiculous to sue every single company that uses mutli-touch mainly because its just too ridiculous. yeah but i doubt any of you watched my video but in it i said that motorola wouldn't be hit because they are the much older than apple in terms of phone making, and are sure to have more than 1 patent that apple has violated which they can use against apple. Apple knows this, and since HTC is younger and also one of the bigger Android phone manufacturers, they were a prime target. Google's flagship phone is also made by HTC, so if all HTC android phones are banned from being imported into the US, there goes Googles ship.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh... Also... NO Apple exec has said anything about going to Verizon. Apple DOES not comment on speculation. Some "financial analysts" have speculated that Apple would move to Verizon when LTE went live since it was GSM based and they wouldn't have to develop a new phone to work on the network, but Apple has never said anything official about going to another US network. They have made some backhanded comments slamming AT&T but they haven't speculated about choosing a new partner.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
apple may have shot themselves in the foot by doing that. Because now htc and other phones are going to get extra publicity. And you dont think companies are going to use that publicity to their advantage