Apple devs steal Android Flash

cb3FSU

Reaction score
It has NOTHING to do with Android vs iPhone. It is about mobile carriers, which this game is ultimately about. Verizon being the CARRIER that it is never would have put all their apples in the iPhone basket. IF Verizon would have picked up the iPhone they still would have accepted the Android line when it became available. Why? Because unlike AT&T, Verizon believes and invests in their network and not in ONE third party piece of hardware. They want as many customers on their network as possible, regardless of the device that they are using. Because in the end, it is all about the network for these companies (at least the ones that want to succeed).

My point was that Apple screwed up, not Verizon. Verizon would still be fine if they didnt have Android OR iPhone right now. Their success does not depend on any other company.

Very true, but Verizon wasn't willing to give Apple what they were asking for because they had a NETWORK to back them up. Which meant they didn't need to change the direction of their company for a device. Was it a bad decision for Verizon to turn Apple down when they approached them? As many iPhones as AT&T has sold, I would still say Verizon made the right decision. If you disagree, it is your opinion.

I wouldnt say it was a bad decision for Verizon. It would have been great for them if they could have struck a deal with Apple but IMO Apples need for control has put them in a weaker situation. They were arrogant in thinking they were going to be the only horse in town forever, and they got to see exactly what a capable device on the best network can do...take over the industry in about half a year.

Do you really think all of these people are new Verizon customers who are only getting Verizon service because they want an Android phone so bad?

Seriously? It may have taken Android longer to catch on, but I HIGHLY doubt a powerhouse like Google would have let anything die. Much less an operating system they spent so much time and money on.

Perhaps die was hyperbole, but without Verizon Android develops a geeks only cult like following. With Verizon they are the mainstream smartphone. With Verizon Android is Windows. Without Verizon Android is Linux.

I don't think Google would have released anything less then par and I don't think Verizon would have picked it up if they did. Both companies seem to know what they are doing so far.

The G1 certainly wasn't scaring anyone over at Apple. The pre 2.0 Android devices were subpar compared to the iPhone. Only after the Droid and 2.0 did Android catch up and put a dent in market share.

Do you really think Android would have ever become a joke?

GOOG - 436.55 - Google
VZ - 26.81 - Verizon
T - 24.29 - AT&T
DT - 11.90 - T-Mobile
S - 4.16 - Sprint

It would be a joke right now when comparing it to Apple, especially if Apple WAS on Verizon. Verizon owns half the Android market.

When is the last time you saw a marketing campaign for an Android device that was not on Verizon? The Droid commercials have been driving sales for Android on all carriers.

Without Verizon, Android is still dipping their toes in the water right now, developers are still on the fence about making apps and they are trying to figure out a way to make it work.

Verizon delivered a mass following of users immediately. iPhone built AT&T, Verizon Built Android.

OP
coondogg97

coondogg97

Reaction score
This is really getting off topic here.

I don't know how you can say Apple screwed up considering they just passed Microsoft in market share. And that had little to do with their computer line.

The entire thing at this point is speculation. But nobody can say Apple made a bad move going to AT&T to keep total control of their product. Even IF (and that's a BIG IF) the iPhone dies now because Android is on the scene, they have done very well for themselves and they have made some brilliant decisions.

And I don't think Apple thought they were the only game in town by any means. If they did the iPhone wouldn't be on its fourth generation. Apple also wouldn't be releasing new devices such as the iPad if they didn't think they needed to stay ahead of the game.

Everything else I really agree with. And the iPhone did put AT&T back on the wireless carrier map. And Verizon is definitely HELPING build Android. But Google would have carried on with the same philosophy and mindset that they've always had. Release a great product and the customers will come. They would have continued to make great operating systems and release them on fantastic devices. And in time they would have taken off, much more then just a cult following.

But that is all speculation and my (sometimes distorted) opinion.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adobe is probably loving this.... proving that Jobs is just being a turd sandwich and Flash can run fine on an Apple device.

bje1982

Reaction score
They got it to work on the 3gs...Adobe put it on there to prove it will work after steve jobs was talking noise about it. Though he has a point that flash slows down the web loading process. You can have an app or set it up for ondemand viewing, like with the droid. If I am going to nfl.com I have no problem waiting an extra few seconds for the content to load up. But for other sites I may not care to have all the geico ads slowing me down.

Every custom ROM Ive been running has either automatically disabled ads or given me the option to disable them, so I havent experienced it as a problem.

In fact the only thing I have experienced is being able to watch videos as I would on a computer, instead of seeing a black box with a DOWNLOAD FLASH 10.1 link in the middle.

Apple's resistance to Flash is nothing but another attempt to impose their will on the entire smartphone industry.

Until about 8 months ago they were in complete control and in great position to tell Adobe to get lost. They were going to use their market share to inject a version of quicktime that everyone would have to adopt in favor of Flash if they wanted videos to play on mobile devices.

Then Android came along and in a little over half a year kicked their plans in the bolce.

Apple really has to be kicking themselves for choosing the initially better deal with AT&T than figuring something out with Verizon.

If we are in year 4 of an iPhone/Verizon partnership I don't know if Android ever even comes to exist. I know Id probably have had the last 2 iPhoneS and would be anticipating getting the new one if I didnt have it already.

Their greed and thirst for totalitarian control screwed them. They could have what they want right now. Everyone would have iPhones, the 160k Android devices being activated every day would be iPhones.

And we'd all be happy because we wouldnt know any better.

But now Android has come along and is using Verizon to deliver a fresh, opposite perspective to not only the biggest network of mobile users in the US, but the ones with the best coverage by far.

Poor Apple. They had such big plans.

I will admit I started with an Iphone and starting learning jailbreaking or hacking but then the G1 came out not too long after the Iphone, (maybe what 8 months later if Im correct?), ever since then I started realizing how restricted I was with my Iphone especially since alot of the hacks I did to my Iphone were standard features on android. Oh well I hope Jobs knows what hes doing because I forsee the Iphone starting to lose popularity..

spillner

Reaction score
I have to say that if iPhones came to Verizon it would deffinetley hurt Android. iPhone is a universally recognized device. You see it in movies, tv shows, even celebrities brag about their iPhones. One of Androids biggest strengths is also its biggest weakness's, it does not have a solid flagship phone. An arguement can be made for the Moto Droid due to VZW add campaigne but their have already been a number of "superior" phones running Android that have come out and many more in the near future.

Now I love that Android is everywhere, but it doesn't have the recognizability that an iPhone has and I believe the only way it will is for Google, Moto and VZW to come together really develop a super smart phone and then push it hard in mainstream media. Put it in the hands of celebrities, have charecters in popular tv shows and movies use them in scenes. Having comercials with the Droid being used in a robotic factory isn't exactley winning over the buisness crowd or young woman. Some people need to see it being used, whether its some famous actor at a sporting event or detective in a crime drama.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the iPhone coming to Verizon won't do the damage to Android it would have a year ago.

When the iPhone launched it was leaps and bounds ahead of every smartphone on the market.

With the release of the Moto Droid (sorry g1 owners) and the plethora of Android devices coming out now.... Apple isn't ahead technology wise anymore.

Apple has it's name and loyal customer base, but the technology behind the iPhone is no longer in a world of it's own.

mkraffert

Reaction score
I cannot begin to imagine why you think Android's success is due almost entirely to Verizon's superior service.

I travel a lot and Verizon is the ONLY carrier with 3G coverage every where I go. ATT doesn't cover Bismarck well at all. Verizon is why Droid are so popular so fast. And, you can hold them and talk without losing signal. That's always a nice added touch. The app store doesn't sell reception. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
coondogg97

coondogg97

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coondogg97

Thanks Martin
And I don't know if there is anything a mod can do, but this was a misquote. That line didn't come from me.

MOD EDIT: I edited the misquote. Feel free to fix your post here :)

Last edited:

crackalaka

Reaction score
We wouldn't have the phones with the capability that they have today if it wasn't for Apple and the iPhone, And god help ATT when Verizon finally gets the iPhone. And then we will see just how good their network really is.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now we getting some spirit in this thread. We now have some iphone users weighing in.

To crackalaka: its not that the iphone was the first; they was just the first to market it well. And the first iphone had some issues. The iphone 3gs is what set it apart, the corrected a lot of the issues from the previous version and added a speed boost; plus they do a good job marketing it to make you want/need one.

And the fact it is so simple to use and works well makes it a nice device. But those who had the iphone and went android can tell you there is a difference. Now the difference take awhile to get use to. When I switched I was not sold on the droid because it did not do things the "iphone way". But once I got use to android I realized that it was a different experience. And for people who like to truly customizw and tweak things its the ideal phone for them.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can we get some more iphone users, especially the 4.0 users. I want a real conversation going. So crackalaka bring all your buddies.

bje1982

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in again to let you guys know that I just had a 4 person family all with new Iphone 4's come in angry that they couldnt hold a conversation on the thing and they all left with Android devices and are even going to pay a termination fee for 4 lines to ATT !!!! Hahahahahahaa.dancedroidGo Android!!!!!!

iPirate

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in again to let you guys know that I just had a 4 person family all with new Iphone 4's come in angry that they couldnt hold a conversation on the thing and they all left with Android devices and are even going to pay a termination fee for 4 lines to ATT !!!! Hahahahahahaa.dancedroidGo Android!!!!!!

awesome! dancedroid

crackalaka

Reaction score
can we get some more iphone users, especially the 4.0 users. I want a real conversation going. So crackalaka bring all your buddies.

Just so you know I have a Droid and iPhone (1st generation still) (on both networks ATT and Verizon) And while the Droid does have some good features especially when compared to the original iPhone In terms of use I still find myself going back to the iPhone more and more, and in respect to marketing and Apple being the "first" the phones we have today would be nowhere near what the are without the iPhone forcing the other companies to "step up" their game in order to compete, (which is not a bad thing at all) Remember when the Razrs came out on Motorola Those were 600.00 phones and "state of the art" at the time which was just a few years ago, and now they give them away. Now I also have an iPhone4 that I purchased for my son and the OS is very nice, and there's nothing wrong with Android but the ease of use and compatibility especially with transferring Movies and music. iv'e tried many different programs on both the Mac and PC and nothing matches the OS on the iPhone. As time goes by and I have a chance to dig a little further into IOS4 I can compare it better to android.

cb3FSU

Reaction score

Just so you know I have a Droid and iPhone (1st generation still) (on both networks ATT and Verizon) And while the Droid does have some good features especially when compared to the original iPhone In terms of use I still find myself going back to the iPhone more and more, and in respect to marketing and Apple being the "first" the phones we have today would be nowhere near what the are without the iPhone forcing the other companies to "step up" their game in order to compete, (which is not a bad thing at all) Remember when the Razrs came out on Motorola Those were 600.00 phones and "state of the art" at the time which was just a few years ago, and now they give them away. Now I also have an iPhone4 that I purchased for my son and the OS is very nice, and there's nothing wrong with Android but the ease of use and compatibility especially with transferring Movies and music. iv'e tried many different programs on both the Mac and PC and nothing matches the OS on the iPhone. As time goes by and I have a chance to dig a little further into IOS4 I can compare it better to android.

you find it difficult to drag a file from your pc into your phone via usb?