Took the plunge on Apple

robssm

Reaction score
Ah, but I can ignore it: I'm on MIUI :happy3: VZ will never take me hostage. Also as mentioned above if you rooted previously you could have frozen the updater or used Voodoo Rootkeeper and still taken the OTA. Someone will eventually release a new SBF once it gets leaked and you'll be good to go again.

I said to myself "ok, I am going to leave this phone alone". LOL IDIOT! I should have rooted that **** the moment I got it and this would not have been an issue.

We need to figure out a way to deny OTA, now there is a program that would generate some interest..

As far as a new SBF, well, I don't know about this. The problem is that the new ota doesn't give motofail any opportunity to overwrite the system files needed for root. It constantly fails to write the required files. Everything else seems to go ok.

Oddly enough, the replacement phone has .173 on it, so, uh, its rootable. I may root the replacement and send my phone into them and hope no one messes with the info that stuck on it now due to the really neat "read only" mod the ota delivered to me that has all my personal data locked on it. I have to change my freakin email passwords, all sorts of ****.

I have a 50kv static discharge machine, maybe Moto will meet a severe static discharge and we can see who wins lol.. I don't know how else to secure the data before I send the phone back.

Thats what warranty is for right? They said that the warranty is only void if the unit is opened or rooted.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I did the Rooting ROMing thing for awhile. Broke the screen on my phone. Got a replacement. Left it stock.
And you know what?
It's rock solid. It works 100% of the time.
The Facebook app works flawlessly.
I am not anti Apple. Wife has an iPhone4 and an iPad2.
Both good devices. But IMO my phone is better then hers.
I have Widget Locker and Go Launcher and my phone runs flawlessly.
Yea, I have to deal with apps I don't use wanting to update. But it's not that big a deal to me anymore.

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I've got golauncher on my bionic as well. when you tilt your phone from portrait to landscape, do all the icons disapear and take forever to re-apear? Mine does that. I love go launcher, but that one little bug is bugging the crap out of me.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've got golauncher on my bionic as well. when you tilt your phone from portrait to landscape, do all the icons disapear and take forever to re-apear? Mine does that. I love go launcher, but that one little bug is bugging the crap out of me.

Root + V6 supercharger will fix this. Unfortunate side effect of VZ tinkering.

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was hoping not to have to root but oh well I guess..

wanta99gtr

Reaction score
robssm said:
No, motofail doesn't work with the latest interim ota. Basically, the irony is, the little ota they forced on us was basically to stop the motofail vulnerability ie stop the r/w vulnerability that allowed motofail to work in the first place. Problem is, this ota has a bug which is that you can never make any of the files r/w, they are now read only, so, all your texts and many of your personal files are now locked in and can't be deleted.

I confirmed that motofail no longer works now.

So moto says send the phone back, and there is some personal info in those texts, stuff about bills, banks etc and I am like "uh no" until they tell me how to erase it, the phone will not be released and I am talking to lawyers about it. How can you have a device that doesn't allow you to erase your data, they try to compel a customer to send it off into the void in this day and age? Total disrespect for customer identity and possible theft.

Damn thats crazy. What update are you referring to? The 904? Either way my updater is frozen on 902 and that is where it will stay. The phone is solid as it is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I think a lot of die hard android fanboys tend to forget that 98 percent of the people in the world just want their phone to work. they aren't worried about modding, or all the specs of the phone, they are looking for a good user experiance and the apple delivers that.

Yeah, until they see the stuff other people are doing and wondering why they can't do it too. Like 4G for example.

IMO, the preference for iPhones from "normal" people is largely due to:

1) Low expectations
2) an ignorance of what the competitors have to offer

Apple is really good at marketing and making stuff look pretty, and that is what sucks people in.

(also...the reason specs are relevant is because your needs today might be different from your needs a year from now...my roommate with an iPhone 3GS is wondering how come he doesnt get to use SIRI).

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Yeah, until they see the stuff other people are doing and wondering why they can't do it too. Like 4G for example.

IMO, the preference for iPhones from "normal" people is largely due to:

1) Low expectations
2) an ignorance of what the competitors have to offer

Apple is really good at marketing and making stuff look pretty, and that is what sucks people in.

(also...the reason specs are relevant is because your needs today might be different from your needs a year from now...my roommate with an iPhone 3GS is wondering how come he doesnt get to use SIRI).

Have you ever used an I-Phone before? I've had mine and my wifes side by side for a week now, and I see no reason to HATE the I-Phone. Apple, maby, but the I-phone is a pretty good phone.

Honestly it would drive me bonkers not to be able to customise my phone, which is why I won't have an I-phone. I like to be able to do what I want. That being said, I have seen people with the old D1, and been using it stock for years. They never changed the ringer, or even the wallpaper. Most people just don't care about customizing, and honestly most phones don't last more than two years anyway so who cares about the processor or memory, in two years you are going to get a new phone anyway!

As far as the 4g goes, what a freaking JOKE!!! I bought into this 4g crap over a year ago, and I never go anywhere where I can use it. I think I've used 4g a total of 3 times. Talk about being good at marketing crap. Verizon is selling services to people who will never be able to use that service!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Have you ever used an I-Phone before?
Lots of times.

I've had mine and my wifes side by side for a week now, and I see no reason to HATE the I-Phone.
I said I hate using it. Using it is a chore. It doesn't need to be a chore, but it is. Maybe I am just spoiled by Android. Changing settings or switching apps is a hassle on the iPhone, and it isnt on Android.

As far as the 4g goes, what a freaking JOKE!!! I bought into this 4g crap over a year ago, and I never go anywhere where I can use it. I think I've used 4g a total of 3 times.
I use mine all day, every day. The Rezound gets awesome 4G reception. Family members still have 3G phones and using them feels like moving in slow motion. By "faster" I do not mean throughput...I mean response times. Like ping times. That is relevant to browsing, and I use my browser a lot.

4G is often faster than wifi connections in my experience. And that is no small thing.

Talk about being good at marketing crap. Verizon is selling services to people who will never be able to use that service!
I am not sure where you live that you can't get 4G service...Unless I am camping way in the mountains I have 4G all the time, 24/7 here in Denver. If your carrier has crappy 4G coverage, that means your carrier sucks, not your phone.

Slider11

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
I am not sure where you live that you can't get 4G service...Unless im camping way in the mountains I have 4G all the time, 24/7 here in Denver. If your carrier has crappy 4G coverage, that means your carrier sucks, not your phone.

Honestly, not true. There's plenty of places where 4g isn't available. Just cause you have it in Denver, which is a major city, doesn't mean everyone else has it.. I'm fact for some reason Verizon placed its first 4g service in Wyoming in a town with 17,000 over towns with 60,000+. Which boggles my mind..

champaned_out

Reaction score
As far as the 4g goes, what a freaking JOKE!!! I bought into this 4g crap over a year ago, and I never go anywhere where I can use it. I think I've used 4g a total of 3 times. Talk about being good at marketing crap. Verizon is selling services to people who will never be able to use that service!

what a ignorant statement... just because you cant use verizon's 4G service its a sham?.. i also get 4G everywhere i go 24/7 and it is comparable to an average person's high speed internet at home, probably even faster

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Honestly, not true. There's plenty of places where 4g isn't available. Just cause you have it in Denver, which is a major city, doesn't mean everyone else has it.. I'm fact for some reason Verizon placed its first 4g service in Wyoming in a town with 17,000 over towns with 60,000+. Which boggles my mind..
Ask people on here in other cities. It isn't just me. Start a thread here and ask people how their 4G is on Verizon. Denver is not some oasis in a 4G wasteland, LOL.

Even in cities where 4G sucks on Verizon there are other 4G carriers that have better service there. I know that AT&T is actually better than Verizon in some cities.

Slider11

Reaction score
champaned_out said:
what a ignorant statement... just because you cant use verizon's 4G service its a sham?.. i also get 4G everywhere i go 24/7 and it is comparable to an average person's high speed internet at home, probably even faster

I almost agree with Geoff. Where I live, they constantly bug and whine for us to buy their 4g products. I've even been told that 4g is available here by employees.. funny thing is, despite all the advertising they put in, there is no 4g..

Slider11

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
Ask people on here in other cities. It isn't just me. Start a thread here and ask people how their 4G is on Verizon. Denver is not some oasis in a 4G wasteland, LOL.

Even in cities where 4G sucks on Verizon there are other 4G carriers that have better service there. I know that AT&T is actually better than Verizon in some cities.

What's I'm saying is that your assuming there is 4g almost everywhere.. there is probably 100millon+ people still without 4g capabilities.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
For the record I honestly don't hate the iPhone. If Android fell off the face of the Earth tomorrow, the first thing I would do is go watch the news to find out what happened to them.

But the second thing I would do is walk to an Apple or Verizon store and buy an iPhone. (and I would jailbreak it that afternoon)

I would take any Android phone over any iPhone. But the iPhone definitely does not suck compared to everything else (Symbian, Windows Phone, ect...). It only sucks compared to Android.