Apple devs steal Android Flash

OP
coondogg97

coondogg97

Reaction score
Their greed and thirst for totalitarian control screwed them. They could have what they want right now. Everyone would have iPhones, the 160k Android devices being activated every day would be iPhones.

That isn't entirely true. If Apple didn't demand the total control that they do, the iPhone wouldn't be nearly as popular today as it is. You think AT&T would have marketed this ONE device to control the success of their company? Apple has always had great control over their brand which was smart. And up until now Apple didn't have any real competition, so they had no problem controlling their brand.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Their greed and thirst for totalitarian control screwed them. They could have what they want right now. Everyone would have iPhones, the 160k Android devices being activated every day would be iPhones.

That isn't entirely true. If Apple didn't demand the total control that they do, the iPhone wouldn't be nearly as popular today as it is. You think AT&T would have marketed this ONE device to control the success of their company? Apple has always had great control over their brand which was smart. And up until now Apple didn't have any real competition, so they had no problem controlling their brand.

Apple having total control is good and bad. Its good because you know the apps that you install will work and not conflict or cause problems on your device. The negative to total control is it can limit or inhibit ideas that could make the product better.
Android is open but we have all experience a few bad apps, or appd that conflict with one another. The benefit of android is the open competition, the negatives are some bad apps.

Apple's brand is a product that works and does its job. Android's brand started out and will continue to be the "anti-apple". It allows you to do what apple does not allow.
Its a touchy situation that has been brought up before. But would android benefit from a better app market, yes it would but some feel if you start putting restrictions then you become more like apple.

Being open means the owner have to pay more attention and know more about the device. When I had an iphone I did not have to remove every app and figure out which app was making my phone not work properly. But at the same time alot of the apple apps were cop cat apps.

Its what the owner wants. Some owners would rather have restrictions and having a piece of mind knowing everything in the app market is safe, may be stupid, but its safe. Others prefer to allow an open market that brings competition to the market. If the app causes adverse effects the word will get out and the app will get a poor rating.

Apps like Sholesmod updater, Rom manager, root explorer, wifi tethering, pdanet, easy tether, root helper, and more would never get in the apple market. But we have those apps despite how vzw, or moto may feel about it.

cb3FSU

Reaction score

Apple is the best company in the world in regards to marketing. Regardless of their carrier, they would have been able to bring their product to market in a huge way with a huge immediate following.

The iPhone is the only reason AT&T is still a major factor in the cell phone business. Period.

If the iPhone had come to Verizon every one of us would probably have one by now and when Android came out they would have to try to bring what would seem like an inferior product to market with inferior carriers.

The iPhone has thrived in spite of AT&T, imagine how popular it would be if the damn things actually worked all the time.

Most people are buying Droids because they are an iphone alternative on Verizon's network. If the Droid came out on Sprint I wouldn't have bought one. Its all about Verizon. They are the reason 160k Androids are being sold each day.

So I dont really understand how you could possibly think the iPhone would not be as popular when simply having Verizon as a carrier has allowed Android to come in like a swarm of bees and grab the market share they have in 8 months.

SGTiger

Reaction score

cb3FSU

Reaction score
I cannot begin to imagine why you think Android's success is due almost entirely to Verizon's superior service.

Common sense told me what this pie chart confirmed. Half of the Android phones are on Verizon. Verizon has the customer base that can turn a capable device into a superstar over night like they did with the Droid.

Do you really think all of these people are new Verizon customers who are only getting Verizon service because they want an Android phone so bad?

Without Verizon Android never gets to the point it has this quickly, Apple regroups by offering the new 4G iPhone and then announces a move to Verizon in January. Android dies.

The Droid was a huge success because it was very capable and very good. If it didnt do its part this could have been a huge mess for android and Verizon.

But you combine the best service with a capable phone and you have a winner. If that winner had been iPhone with Android relegated to TMobile, AT&T and Sprint Android would be a joke right now.

chitikajune2010-lg2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Even though im switching from att and iphone to verizon with the droid x, i still wont be buying an iphone again even after it comes to verizon. My whole point of switching is not ONLY because i think verizon is a better network but because the iphone sucks and is boring. I am switching because the droid offers a better experience as a phone. Apple does not allow you to make your iphone "yours"..unless you jailbreak it and even then there are some limitations. The droid offers a lil more right out of the box without the major need for rooting and such...so for me its about the experience..

cb3FSU

Reaction score
Even though im switching from att and iphone to verizon with the droid x, i still wont be buying an iphone again even after it comes to verizon. My whole point of switching is not ONLY because i think verizon is a better network but because the iphone sucks and is boring. I am switching because the droid offers a better experience as a phone. Apple does not allow you to make your iphone "yours"..unless you jailbreak it and even then there are some limitations. The droid offers a lil more right out of the box without the major need for rooting and such...so for me its about the experience..

Oh trust me, I will never buy an iphone and I love Android. My point was that people either had Verizon or wanted to wait for an iPhone like device on Verizon for the most part, and this has fueled Android's immediate success.

I dont having the iPhone on Verizon will hurt Android, I think it has really developed a following. But that following, IMO would have never been able to develop without Verizon taking the Droid and running with it.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Oh trust me, I will never buy an iphone and I love Android. My point was that people either had Verizon or wanted to wait for an iPhone like device on Verizon for the most part, and this has fueled Android's immediate success.

I dont having the iPhone on Verizon will hurt Android, I think it has really developed a following. But that following, IMO would have never been able to develop without Verizon taking the Droid and running with it.

I very much agree..

OP
coondogg97

coondogg97

Reaction score
It has NOTHING to do with Android vs iPhone. It is about mobile carriers, which this game is ultimately about. Verizon being the CARRIER that it is never would have put all their apples in the iPhone basket. IF Verizon would have picked up the iPhone they still would have accepted the Android line when it became available. Why? Because unlike AT&T, Verizon believes and invests in their network and not in ONE third party piece of hardware. They want as many customers on their network as possible, regardless of the device that they are using. Because in the end, it is all about the network for these companies (at least the ones that want to succeed).

Common sense told me what this pie chart confirmed. Half of the Android phones are on Verizon. Verizon has the customer base that can turn a capable device into a superstar over night like they did with the Droid.

Very true, but Verizon wasn't willing to give Apple what they were asking for because they had a NETWORK to back them up. Which meant they didn't need to change the direction of their company for a device. Was it a bad decision for Verizon to turn Apple down when they approached them? As many iPhones as AT&T has sold, I would still say Verizon made the right decision. If you disagree, it is your opinion.

Do you really think all of these people are new Verizon customers who are only getting Verizon service because they want an Android phone so bad?

No, not at all.

Without Verizon Android never gets to the point it has this quickly, Apple regroups by offering the new 4G iPhone and then announces a move to Verizon in January. Android dies.

Seriously? It may have taken Android longer to catch on, but I HIGHLY doubt a powerhouse like Google would have let anything die. Much less an operating system they spent so much time and money on.

The Droid was a huge success because it was very capable and very good. If it didnt do its part this could have been a huge mess for android and Verizon.

I don't think Google would have released anything less then par and I don't think Verizon would have picked it up if they did. Both companies seem to know what they are doing so far.

But you combine the best service with a capable phone and you have a winner. If that winner had been iPhone with Android relegated to TMobile, AT&T and Sprint Android would be a joke right now.

Do you really think Android would have ever become a joke?

GOOG - 436.55 - Google
VZ - 26.81 - Verizon
T - 24.29 - AT&T
DT - 11.90 - T-Mobile
S - 4.16 - Sprint

yurdle

Reaction score
@coondogg97, well said
In all honesty I couldn't agree with you more, there is no way google would have let something like android go to waste, they know what they are doing, and I'm pretty confident Verizon knows what they are doing, even back when they made the iPhone decision. This would defiantly be a bit different is things went the other way, but that not really something that needs to be thought about ... what matters is what going on now, and right now at&t(even with their crap network) is doing eh with the iPhone.. I'm sure its what is mostly keeping them afloat(i might look up the amount of at&t users that use iPhones, if anyone has any stats I'd be interested to see them.) and Currently I see it as Verizon is doing great with what they have right now, and what I see in the future looks great :) dancedroid

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey this is great. Not only will this be on my Android phone, but hopefully work on my ipad as well. Looks promising.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple really has to be kicking themselves for choosing the initially better deal with AT&T than figuring something out with Verizon.
Why? The market isn't all-or-nothing for just one solution. Apple has a significant hold in the market and will continue to do so. You can argue that things would have turned out better according to your armchair industry analysis but there's really no guarantee that your version of events would have played out in the way you state. It's an interesting what-if discussion but fairly pointless. For one thing, the real world consists of far more variables than most people are willing to acknowledge. The carriers and the devices they carry are not the only variables in this case, even though at&t, Verizon, iPhone and Android are very influential variables.

Good point actually but in the end id rather have a droid with iphone apps than an iphone with droid apps anyday..
A ported iPhone app wouldn't really be an iPhone app anyway. That's the whole point of a port.

Regardless of platform, a good app is a good app. Running on iOS doesn't necessarily make an app bad just as running on Android doesn't automatically make an app good.

I can't believe those bstrds would steal our flash, even when they weren't supposede to get it for a while.
With that reasoning you should be opposing mods. Particularly the ones made from builds for other devices. Since the devices that didn't get the release stole it and weren't supposed to get it.

Last edited:

wingsabr

Reaction score
I can see Apple pushing an update to disable it.....That would be classic.
oh you know apple was working OT this weekend to find out the exploit...right after they raided the guys house who put it on his iPad. hahahahahahaaaa

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bet a lot of iPad owners are rejoicing. You really can't call your tablet the greatest internet experience without having flash available.

There's no reason to be mad or jealous that someone got this working on the iPad. That just seems like a very immature way of looking at this.