app for turnning sound low by time.

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
My wife is getting pissed cuz my droid goes.droiiiiiiiiiid late at night and is waking up our 2 month old. So what i want to do is get an app that turns the sound low automaticly between 11;00 pm and 6:30am say. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Easy to do with locale. There are a few free options out there that will do this as well (screeble, possibly?)

sj24

Reaction score
I've been using Shh! Auto-silencer lite, it's free and does the job, i have it set to go into silence mode @ 11pm and regular volume @ 7am. I think there you can have up to 3 settings with the free version.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
screebl doesn't do that. It is used to keep the screen on while you are using the phone. Setting Profiles should do what you want.

shakes268

Reaction score
Try Timeriffic

It has a lot of options and works very well. Its also free. Locale is overpriced and charges an addition $0.99 for every plugin.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Timeriffic will do exactly what you want. Set time based profiles for volume levels for ringer, notifications (txt/email) as well as other things (vibrate, wi-fi, bluetooth, etc..).

Free, works perfectly.

issues636

Reaction score
i personally use Locale, does the job, but now that i look back at it i regret spending $10 on it. i went with Locale because it's supposed to set it by time AND/OR location, but the location part of it's been busted ever since i started using it. i've heard Timeriffic does a really good job at this and is free.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
i personally use Locale, does the job, but now that i look back at it i regret spending $10 on it. i went with Locale because it's supposed to set it by time AND/OR location

Same feeling, here. Although the location works for me, but it has a tendency to temporarily lose that and default to another profile. And whether it's using wifi SSID or just location with GPS, both of those are Droid polling features and occasionally poll incorrectly, which returns a null/incorrect value for location in Locale. It's supposed to work better if you expand location radius to 2000 meters, but that doesn't really fly with setting it to turn on wifi and dim brightness to min when I'm in my apartment.

Don't know why they have been unable to fix it. It's the one issue stopping Locale from being perfectly awesome. Then again, not sure really what they can do if the Droid is changing the value for SSID or location - would be no way to know if the switched value is faulty or not.

issues636

Reaction score
i personally use Locale, does the job, but now that i look back at it i regret spending $10 on it. i went with Locale because it's supposed to set it by time AND/OR location

Same feeling, here. Although the location works for me, but it has a tendency to temporarily lose that and default to another profile. And whether it's using wifi SSID or just location with GPS, both of those are Droid polling features and occasionally poll incorrectly, which returns a null/incorrect value for location in Locale. It's supposed to work better if you expand location radius to 2000 meters, but that doesn't really fly with setting it to turn on wifi and dim brightness to min when I'm in my apartment.

Don't know why they have been unable to fix it. It's the one issue stopping Locale from being perfectly awesome. Then again, not sure really what they can do if the Droid is changing the value for SSID or location - would be no way to know if the switched value is faulty or not.

idk my location problem is extremely weird. when i first purchased Locale, it worked, can't say perfect but it at least worked. an update came out, i downloaded it, and it never worked again. but it's not like it doesnt work like it doesn't check for it, or anything like that. it's when i go to search for a location to set a situation, the application tells me i'm on some random street in another state. no matter how many times i delete/make the situation, or how many times i uninstall and reinstall the app. and it's not like it's always a random street. it's always the SAME random street. 2 or 3 updates came out since then over a few month period that i thought might have fixed it, so i tried again with each of those updates, and still nothing. still the same random street. a few more updates have came out since then, but i just kinda gave up on trying to set by location now. i just stick to time. the main reason i wanted to set by location, was so i can turn WiFi on when i reach my house, and off when i leave, but i've come to realize that i still have a very good battery life leaving WiFi on AT ALL TIMES, so it's not really a big deal.

it just kinda bugs me cause the reason i bought it was for location. if i was JUST gonna use it for time, i woulda went to Timeriffic or Profile Settings or whatever it's called.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...but i've come to realize that i still have a very good battery life leaving WiFi on AT ALL TIMES, so it's not really a big deal.

it just kinda bugs me cause the reason i bought it was for location. if i was JUST gonna use it for time, i woulda went to Timeriffic or Profile Settings or whatever it's called.

Hmmm....I just started using this again. I notice my SSID functions terrible, probably because I'm having wifi issues. Train wifi doesn't seem to do anything., but perhaps if you add the train wifi to your location setting it may help.

Your issue with location is weird. Sounds like a gps/maps issue and not a Locale issue. But maybe if you have a poor gps/3G signal in your house it has trouble locating you., though wifi should help that.

I'm noticing wifi is using 5% of my battery, or about an hour with it and the display on all day. In the past, I've used a "idle" locale setting that turns off wifi when my phone is sitting on a table (horizontal orientation). Takes a few seconds to turn on when I pick it up, but by the time you launch a browser or whatever it's usually ok. An extra 45 minutes or so of battery is still significant.

issues636

Reaction score
...but i've come to realize that i still have a very good battery life leaving WiFi on AT ALL TIMES, so it's not really a big deal.

Hmmm....I just started using this again. I notice my SSID functions terrible, probably because I'm having wifi issues. Train wifi doesn't seem to do anything., but perhaps if you add the train wifi to your location setting it may help.

Your issue with location is weird. Sounds like a gps/maps issue and not a Locale issue. But maybe if you have a poor gps/3G signal in your house it has trouble locating you., though wifi should help that.

I'm noticing wifi is using 5% of my battery, or about an hour with it and the display on all day. In the past, I've used a "idle" locale setting that turns off wifi when my phone is sitting on a table (horizontal orientation). Takes a few seconds to turn on when I pick it up, but by the time you launch a browser or whatever it's usually ok. An extra 45 minutes or so of battery is still significant.

I've actually tried "Train WiFi" already and it did absolutely nothing for my problem. =/ Like I said, it worked at first, and then I updated and it didn't, BUT I had also JUST moved into a new house, so it could just be a major coincidence that I updated the app at the same time that I moved, and maybe it is my house receiving a poor signal. But I have used "Maps" before while in my house, and it picks up my location just fine. Maybe I'll try what you mentioned, the "Idle" setting, if I can't get location to work. At least that'll conserve a little bit of battery like you said.

issues636

Reaction score

Alright so I just realized that I just recently rooted my phone. Therefore wiped/redid the whole thing, and I haven't tried a Location situation since I did so. I just tried it, and it picked up my CORRECT location. Pulled down my notification bar, "Home" was active. Locked phone, unlocked phone, pulled down bar, "Home" was gone. I went in to make sure the situation was still on. I deleted the situation, re-made the situation, and it picked up that OTHER address again. :p I just can't win. Haha.

I tried your Idle situation setting. Works good for when I put my phone on a table or on my bed. No way to get it working when in my holster though since the phone is sideways and not face up or face down =/ my phone's in holster 90% of the time so that probably won't do me much good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No way to get it working when in my holster though since the phone is sideways and not face up or face down =/ my phone's in holster 90% of the time so that probably won't do me much good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

You tried the face down setting? I never use a holster, but it seems like the someone should be able to create a condition for that which would utilize the proximity sensor to trigger (so long as you're not on a call).

Ever give the variables plug-in a shot? Costs a few bucks and is kind of hard to figure out how to use. You might try it for a day. It allows you to create variable settings to use as situations. Kind of buggy and probably won't work for you, but if you're looking for something to play around with a bit...

You might also give a couple of new plug-ins a shot: Locale Location plug-in and Locale Cell plug-in.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Setting Profiles for sure. This app is so worth $4 for all kinds of reasons... just one of them being able to create rules that can activate custom profiles based on time of day just like the OP wants. And the profiles can include not just ringer/notification/media volume, but screen brightness, turning on/off wifi/gps/bluetooth/sync, and a lot more.

I have profiles that activate when I use the desk dock, the car dock, when I'm at the gym, etc. With most any profile, you can figure out how to create a rule to make them activate automatically.