apk files save to SD or internal memory?

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
When I download an apk. file on my computer then I put it on the SD card and use astro to start it up. After that does the app run from my SD card or does it go onto my phones internal memory.

I do not think that was very clear but if you have a problem understanding it tell me.

Skaggz

Reaction score
Astro doesn't "start up" the app. It just enables you to get to the install screen. When you install the app it will be installed in your phone's internal memory.

haythem1992

Reaction score
internal memory, apks are like .exe's on comp they just initialize installation.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
Astro doesn't "start up" the app. It just enables you to get to the install screen. When you install the app it will be installed in your phone's internal memory.

really is there a way to put it on the SD card

how come it has to be on the internal memory

there no piracy in a free apk. app

haythem1992

Reaction score
no piracy in free but the only way to not use internal memory is to root your phone and go through some terminal codes and/or partition card. There is no way to do it without rooting your phone.

Reaction score
do you even know why you dont want it to run from internal memory? theres a lot of room for a lot of apps on the phone. you dont gain speed or anything, so why do you think you want it to run from the sd card?

Skaggz

Reaction score
Yes there is a way to run apps from your SD card. You'll need to be rooted though. You'll also have to create a partition on you card. It also helps to upgrade to a class 6, since the class 2 that comes with the phone is a little slow for that. Read up on apps2sd if you're really interested.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
do you even know why you dont want it to run from internal memory? theres a lot of room for a lot of apps on the phone. you dont gain speed or anything, so why do you think you want it to run from the sd card?

A lot of room are you serious?

also does anyone know if google might have a solution in the future?

Reaction score
i have 170 MB free on the phones internal memory...you know how many apps it takes to fill up 200 megs? over 100 im sure.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score

I actually had a warning from my phone today about almost being out of internal storage. I didn't have a lot of apps, so either I had some huge apps, or there's not as much space as you think.

I used AppSaver to copy the .apk files I had to my card, then uninstalled a bunch. The message went away after deleting 3 or 4 apps, but I got rid of several that I hardly use. If we could run the apps from the card, I wouldn't have had that issue.

For the record, the correct answer above is: I didn't have any huge apps.

Reaction score
well this is the best info i can give. i have 51 apps on the phones internal memory. i have 95.80MB used with 165.95MB left. i have room for at least another 50-75 apps before it fills up. this is why im not sure i see the benefit of apps2sd...not that its not a good thing to have in some cases, i just cant imagine someone having AND using ~150-200 apps on a daily/monthly basis.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Do I use all of my apps every day? No, but I have them all for a reason. Outside of a handful of games and utility apps, I don't have a lot of that I don't use at least once a week.

I've already given you a reason why people would want to run apps off their card. Whether or not you care to acknowledge it, the internal storage of the Droid is pathetically small in comparison to other smart phones on the market. If we could run apps from the card, nobody would even notice.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another benefit of Apps2SD is that your apps stay installed even if you factory reset. This allows you to change roms, if they have Apps2SD support, without backing up your apps and data every time.

SpykeZ

Reaction score
i have 170 MB free on the phones internal memory...you know how many apps it takes to fill up 200 megs? over 100 im sure.

hmm really

thank you that really reassured me about the space
I was overwhelmed with all these 8gb internal memory phones coming out

Well, dumb example but I was curious to how much these apps were taknig up, I use an app called uninstaller just cause it's quicker to do that than any other way, but it tells you file sizes. I had like 2 games that were over 1MB, one was like 1.5 and 3.9, my other dozens of apps were all less than 500KB as are most apps so, you pretty much have tons of space with the limited size you got atm. I do remember seeing something about google working on an update that allows installing to the SD card due to the new phones coming out with more space and ours having so little.