anyway to keep browser from reloading pages when switching back to it?

velocity92c

Reaction score
For example, if I get an email or text while browsing and check it, when I go back to the browser it always reloads whatever page I had open. This is very annoying for someone who browses 3 to 4 hours a day. Anyway to remedy this?

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Good question. I was wondering if it was only my Droid that was doing it.

I use Dolphin Browser HD, and the page reloads when you switch from the browser to another app and back in it as well. I'd really like to know if there's a way to prevent this. It definitely is annoying. :|

brando56894

Reaction score
I was wondering this too, I use xscope and its annoying when I close it then switch back to it that it reopens the last tabs in use.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't use a task killer.

Besides that, I think what's happening is that the OS is killing the browser process and it has to bootstrap itself when you switch back. I wonder if it is actually hitting the server or just grabbing a locally cached copy and rendering that. I'll try to figure that out.

Anway, I don't often see this issue. I use dolphin HD and I'm picky about what runs in the background. I pretty much use no widgets or other stuff that runs on boot. Theoretically, this leaves resources free so your browser can stay open.

Update: OK, just used dolphin hd to go to a page with a time stamp, went app drawer, opened google earth and played around a bit, went back to dolphin and the page was gone. After a couple seconds, the page came back...same old time stamp. This is good news as the page isn't reloading from the server, just re-rendering from local storage.

Last edited:

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
(Stock browser): First, I haven't noticed whether switching between tasks causes a refresh from server or a simple cache grab, I'll have to take notice the next time I try it. For some reason, I seem to recall it doing both at one time or another. I do know that hitting the back button to go to a previous page tends to reload from server rather than cache, though. I haven't found a setting to adjust cache size. Not even sure what memory it uses for the cache - onboard or SD card.

Taegost

Reaction score
Yeah, this annoys the crap out of me as well, especially since when I browse on my phone, I'm usually switching between apps as well. I suspected it's a memory thing, since I have quite a few background apps running.
So, I pretty much don't surf the web on my phone, I'd rather keep the apps :)