Anyone Not Able to Tether? (Even with Hack?)

BenD

Reaction score
Is anybody else having this problem?
I seem to be having a problem tethering and I see no one else dealing with it. I did the whole SQLite editor trick, and it worked the first time I made a connection with my laptop, using the Verizon app, but the next day it wouldn't work anymore; I can make a connection still but I don't get any internet - limited access. I've used pretty much all the third party wifi apps to no avail; barnacle, garden, pdanet, wifi tether, etc. (not that they worked in the first place)

I naturally got the idea that maybe Verizon was able to detect what I was doing and has somehow silently disabled me from doing it again. I'm not sure if thats the case or I'm doing something wrong. All I know is that I'm reading plenty of people used this hack and are happily tethering while I'm stuck without it.

My phone is rooted using this method:How to: Root the Motorola DROID Bionic - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
What I've tried so far: rebooting, airplane mode to reset signal, CDMA only, connecting and disconnecting multiple times, changing the channel, changing the Lan ID, used different apps, and I've done all of these in multiple combinations. Nothing works.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice, work-arounds? Is anyone else in the same boat as me?
Thank you,

BenD

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's my understanding that we can not tether without it going to the Verizon tethering page. So you can, but you have to pay Verizon for it.

jrshelton13

Reaction score
I have had no problem tethering my laptop with my Bionic. I was messing around with it the other day and hooked it up with the USB that came with the phone and hit the USB Tether block in the wireless networks section and, bam! I had internet on my computer. No Verizon page or anything strange, brought me right to my homepage.

Only thing I can think of is I am rooted and am grandfathered with the unlimited data, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I hope you get it figured out!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pastor_rob

Reaction score
I am rooted ... and am using open garden ... and it says I am connected ... but no other device is able to connect to my Bionic ... so I am NOT getting tethering ... though I am rooted and using the right apps.

I guess Verizon is NOT letting us do it ... come what may ... I have read in some places about a work around ... but I am NOT at that level yet.

I can't seem to get any roms installed ... because when I use the bootstrap to recover boot ... it just reboots my phone ... doesn't let me backup and restore or add a new rom ... try the researching and asking questions ... but not getting any answers as of yet.

I know that's unrelated ... but that is why ... tethering is NOT high on my list yet ... I just noticed that I couldn't do it ... and left it alone ... for now!!!

Peace

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have had no problem tethering my laptop with my Bionic. I was messing around with it the other day and hooked it up with the USB that came with the phone and hit the USB Tether block in the wireless networks section and, bam! I had internet on my computer. No Verizon page or anything strange, brought me right to my homepage.

Only thing I can think of is I am rooted and am grandfathered with the unlimited data, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I hope you get it figured out!

I sort of erroneously was speaking of wireless tethering only. USB tethering may be totally different. However, from what I've read (and it was on the internet so it MUST be true!!) that Verizon can monitor their tethering apps and tell who has been using them. Don't know if that's true or not, even though I read it on the internet!!

Good luck to all.

bigkhan

Reaction score
I have been regularly using wireless tether for the past month. Still works and the verizon swat team hasnt come to get me yet.

jzmax22

Reaction score
I set tether up last night using the SQL hack and it worked great.

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Correct Steps & Settings And VZW SWAT!?

I have a rooted bionic as well. The only thing you need is sql editor and the stog 3g hotspt app. Set the entitlement check field to 0 and reboot phone. the best settings i have found is channel 1 and client (DHCP) start address to 192.168.22.2 from the default 192.168.42.2. save and restart hot spot. It is a little touchy at first connect so you may have to reset hotspot after you have saved the wireless network into your computer. Also be patient once you've done this all let it connect one minute or so. It will connect, drop, connect, drop 3 times or so and even give you a limited connectivity or no internet access message. If you are patient enough to wait it out it will connect with full internet in no longer than a minute in my experience. It has worked flawlessly on my bionic 10+ times as i am always tweaking, switching roms, demonstrating to others, etc. It has also worked on two of my friends bionics. As far as the vzw swat team there is no such thing. I have multiple vzw reps as friends, ranking up into middle management, and speak to them daily about different rumors i hear and the procedures that they follow. As of now they have no way of monitoring anything done on your phone except data usage. So other than possibly noticing a spike in data usage there is little to worry about. But coming form an X to the bionic my data spiked well before the wifi work around due to the 4g capability and the different apps that come with the bionic (NFL Mobile Streaming, Zumocast, etc). Hell that was the main selling point for vzw on the bionic. Hope this helps.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I had no issues with SqLite hack. I have taken care not to go past say 5 gigs in my first cycle so I don't get noticed.

I am grandfathered.

So far no black helicopters have landed.

Truth is I hacked another phone prior to getting the Bionic. I was hacked through more then one cycle. Again, no black helicopters.

I believe the key is not to use 32 gigs of data. Don't stand out. Don't attract the geek club at Verizon.

By the way, I didn't have to change that address number either.

OP
B

BenD

Reaction score
​be patient once you've done this all let it connect one minute or so. It will connect, drop, connect, drop 3 times or so and even give you a limited connectivity or no internet access message. If you are patient enough to wait it out it will connect with full internet in no longer than a minute in my experience.

jtsativa420, thank you so much for your explanation! I think I was being impatient. I can't believe i've been putting so much effort into changing settings on the phone, downloading apps, etc. when all I had to do was just wait a little longer until it fully connected :wacko:

Problem Solved. Thank you everybody who replied! :)

-Ben

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Sometimes the answer is simple and just right under our noses. :) I have patience problems. I want it to work and work now. That is the only reason I signed up for DF is to post on this thread cause it would've drove me crazy. Glad i could help.

shooter

Reaction score
I'm not rooted - yet - but, I have EasyTetherPro ($9.99, Polyclef Software) and it works like a charm.