Anyone having trouble rooting droid 2

evilsock

Reaction score
I may be the only one that had this issue, but when I got to the change path "cp" commands, it said no such file or directory.(even though they were there) So I put the 4 files in root of sd AND the tools folder in my c:\android\tools then used adb push commands to put them where they needed to be.
If anyone has trouble with the way to root that's out. I will make a alternate how to, that is absolutely fool proof.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless someone comes up with a simpler way of doing it I won't be rooting my Droid 2. I've got access to a PC but if I can't do it on my Mac I'm not interested. Anyway I want to run it stock for a while. See if it's actually better stock then my rooted Droid.

So what I need is an easy root that you can do on a Mac.

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
Ill write it up, no offence to the person who has original root steps up, its just a little to intinsive for everyone who's new. My how to will be very easy, I've cut out 8 steps by simply click and dragging some files manually

paladin732

Reaction score
For some bizarre reason, I can't get the drivers to install!

I have tried on XPSP3 (x86) and 7x64

I went into the start menu and installed the drivers (took me a bit to realize there was that extra step, I woulda thought the point of an installer is to INSTALL, not create another step...) but neither system can install the droid 2, they just keep searching for drivers for the A955 (on pc-mode and set to debugging)

Polymira

Reaction score
Unless someone comes up with a simpler way of doing it I won't be rooting my Droid 2. I've got access to a PC but if I can't do it on my Mac I'm not interested. Anyway I want to run it stock for a while. See if it's actually better stock then my rooted Droid.

Why wouldn't you be able to do it on a mac? I did ... its all adb stuff. And the sdk is out for os x.

joseph.ferris

Reaction score
For some bizarre reason, I can't get the drivers to install!

I have tried on XPSP3 (x86) and 7x64

I went into the start menu and installed the drivers (took me a bit to realize there was that extra step, I woulda thought the point of an installer is to INSTALL, not create another step...) but neither system can install the droid 2, they just keep searching for drivers for the A955 (on pc-mode and set to debugging)

I ran into that as well. In Device Manager, it is showing up under "Other Devices" as an A955, right? Go into the Andriod SDK manager and download the USB Drivers package. Then, in device manager, right-click on the device, update the driver, and manually browse to the .inf file in the USB driver folder. It should find three drivers in there, I chose the "Android Composite..." driver (can't remember the full name at the moment, but it is the only one that has "Composite" in the name).

Also, of note, I was only able to run the ADB commands when my phone was set to "Charge Only". This was true for two Win7 machines (one x64 and one x86).

cdipier2

Reaction score
when i was rooting my d2 i didnt have to move the 4 root files to my sdcard. i have windows 7 and i guess it does it for you

Syraz

Reaction score
had 2 beers and followed instructions and had no issues....not as bad as it seems

icebluemale30

Reaction score
ok trying to root droid 2 get to the part where you have to type adb ....... after cd c:/Droid2Root and i get adb not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. what am i doing wrong ?

mza929

Reaction score

I am in the same exact boat... let me know if you get a one button push for root on the d2 hook. please..

Syraz

Reaction score
make sure the path to adb is added

1. right-click '(My) Computer'
  2. Select 'Properties'
  3. Go to 'Advanced' or whatever tab you find 'Environment Variables'
  4. Select 'Path' then 'Edit' and add in your new path to where adb is

ok trying to root droid 2 get to the part where you have to type adb ....... after cd c:/Droid2Root and i get adb not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. what am i doing wrong ?

softballbabe

Reaction score
i rooted my droid, now in attempt to root my droid 2... i ran into issues with the extensions on the droid2root.rar file. i'm using windows vista at this moment, but am usually using windows 7. could this possibly be my problem? i know 7 excludes the extension to any file name, whereas vista doesn't. but even when i included the ".rar in the command prompt, it said it couldn't be found. someone, help?