Anyone find a good arm band for the Bionic?

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm looking for an arm band also. I'm on the fence right now, but if no arm band, then it's a deal breaker for me.

OP
S

showtime2k

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the arkon XL armband. I used to have an arkon for my D1 and it was pretty good so hopefully this one works out equally as well for me. I'll report back here after i've tested it out.

HorsePony

Reaction score
Found the PERFECT One.

Saw your question...think I have a great answer.

When I bought the Bionic on the day it came out, one of my first goals was to get a new armband for my workouts.
Specifically, I'm running the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 9th and wanted something that would not only hold my Bionic, but hold a Bionic with the extended battery on it (I'll be running my RunKeeper App along with my Spotify and wanted to make sure I had enough juice throughout the 4-hr race). So something that accommodated the extended battery (as well as without) was a must for me.

The other must for me was something that did not have a plastic cover over it (as I think the one you linked to did). I don't like the plastic enclosure because of sweat and potential heat/condensation within the enclosure.

Found something from Amphipod. I previously only owned a runny fanny pack from them that I used with my D1, but it never failed. I, however, wanted to get away from running with something around my waist and, for the Bionic, wanted something on my arm.

Found this: http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/music/-electronics/armpod
Dude...this thing ROCKS.
1: The elastics that fit around each edge of the phone accommodate a lot of sizes. SNUG is my Bionic with both the regular battery, the extended battery and, hell, even when I have my Bionic case ON the phone.
2: No plastic cover on it so the phone doesn't get trapped in a heat compartment or condensed around.
3: They give you a cover that you can velcro atop the phone if you want to take it out into the rain and such, but you can run without it.
4: I tested this very armband on my last Saturday training run, which was 20 miles. Phone did not move, jiggle, feel uncomfortable, slip down my arm...NOTHING. Really, I was skeptical about the elastic bands around the corners, thinking that they would have to give when running...not a BIT.
5: The elastic bands are soft and the felt around the sides are soft. No scratching or risk of scratching the screen while running.
6: I run an average of 9:20 - 9:40min per mile, so I'm in no way some slow, slacker runner. My arm's are movin'. It was great to only worry about it in the first mile (as I was just testing it out) and not even thinking about it for the remaining 19.

I know you said above that you bought the brand you linked to...but if you find that you're dissatisfied with it, try the Amphipod out.
I would not have bought this thing online alone. I was lucky to find just one left at a Runner's Edge store here in Chicago and got to try it on and throw the Bionic in there...shook it around a bit. Otherwise, really, I would not have put stock into those elastic bands just from my computer screen alone.

This is the best testimonial I could give to a fellow active person looking to take their Bionic out on the run with them.
Hope it helps you (and others).

- HP

BuckyN8

Reaction score

When I bought the Bionic on the day it came out, one of my first goals was to get a new armband for my workouts.
Specifically, I'm running the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 9th and wanted something that would not only hold my Bionic, but hold a Bionic with the extended battery on it (I'll be running my RunKeeper App along with my Spotify and wanted to make sure I had enough juice throughout the 4-hr race). So something that accommodated the extended battery (as well as without) was a must for me.

The other must for me was something that did not have a plastic cover over it (as I think the one you linked to did). I don't like the plastic enclosure because of sweat and potential heat/condensation within the enclosure.

Found something from Amphipod. I previously only owned a runny fanny pack from them that I used with my D1, but it never failed. I, however, wanted to get away from running with something around my waist and, for the Bionic, wanted something on my arm.

Found this: ArmPod
Dude...this thing ROCKS.
1: The elastics that fit around each edge of the phone accommodate a lot of sizes. SNUG is my Bionic with both the regular battery, the extended battery and, hell, even when I have my Bionic case ON the phone.
2: No plastic cover on it so the phone doesn't get trapped in a heat compartment or condensed around.
3: They give you a cover that you can velcro atop the phone if you want to take it out into the rain and such, but you can run without it.
4: I tested this very armband on my last Saturday training run, which was 20 miles. Phone did not move, jiggle, feel uncomfortable, slip down my arm...NOTHING. Really, I was skeptical about the elastic bands around the corners, thinking that they would have to give when running...not a BIT.
5: The elastic bands are soft and the felt around the sides are soft. No scratching or risk of scratching the screen while running.
6: I run an average of 9:20 - 9:40min per mile, so I'm in no way some slow, slacker runner. My arm's are movin'. It was great to only worry about it in the first mile (as I was just testing it out) and not even thinking about it for the remaining 19.

I know you said above that you bought the brand you linked to...but if you find that you're dissatisfied with it, try the Amphipod out.
I would not have bought this thing online alone. I was lucky to find just one left at a Runner's Edge store here in Chicago and got to try it on and throw the Bionic in there...shook it around a bit. Otherwise, really, I would not have put stock into those elastic bands just from my computer screen alone.

This is the best testimonial I could give to a fellow active person looking to take their Bionic out on the run with them.

- HP

I just joined the forums a few days ago after getting my Droid Bionic. I google searched "arm band for bionic" and this thread came up on the search. I can not express how helpful this site is! I have learned more about my phone by spending time on here than actually playing with it!

Now onto the armband...

Thank you for such an intense write up! (And thank you OP for asking the question) I have been searching everywhere for an armband that fits the Bionic with no luck. With all of the point you made about being able to keep the case on, it fitting sung, no plastic over the front, etc. I think I am going to give it a try. I am going to order one and will report back with results. I am assuming I will be just as satisfied! Thanks again to you all on this board, you are all too helpful for your own good :D

BuckyN8

Reaction score
Another quick sidenote is that I could not find it online for cheaper than the link you provided. $24.99 + $4.99 shipping brings it to less than $30 bucks!

HorsePony

Reaction score
Another quick sidenote is that I could not find it online for cheaper than the link you provided. $24.99 + $4.99 shipping brings it to less than $30 bucks!

Make sure to pop back on here and let me know how you liked it! I know I gave it a pretty sterling review, but really, its performance thus far has blown my mind.
And glad to offer some help. I've gotten nothing but plenty of Droid help from everyone on this forum. I love it here and happy to help out in return!

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score

Found this: ArmPod
Dude...this thing ROCKS.

- HP

Great review.
How about the fit for bigger arms. While I am certainly not ripped, I do however have rather big biceps and have had trouble in the past with "one-size-fits-all" bands.

HorsePony

Reaction score
Hey Viktor, I don't go throwing pics of myself up on forums a lot, but I know where you're coming from with your question. I'll make an exception, trying to keep my mug from out if the pic as best as I can.

One pic shows it on my arm. I put the empty Bionic case in there so you can see the fit, as I had to use the bionic to take the pic.
The other pic tries to provide an answer to your question of how much the band itself will accommodate in regard to arm size. As you can see, I'm no Hulk Hogan, but I'm no PeeWee Herman either. So it fits comfortably on my arm without cutting off circulation and you can see how much extra I'm pulling away from my arm.

Hope these help you out.

a6f980fe-ef21-25e7.jpg

a6f980fe-ef3b-3ba1.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mikespe

Reaction score
Thanks HorsePony for the pics! I'm in the same boat being a competitive bodybuilder. All the arm bands I've had for my OG Droid would cut off circulation when I was working out. I had to keep readjusting the band as my workout progressed. I switched to a clip style holster for workouts but it can get in the way of some exercises. I usually wait for the 3rd party companies to come out with "cheap" versions of gear but I may have to splurge on this one. Thanks!

BuckyN8

Reaction score
Back for a quick review of the armband. I ordered it on 9/22 (Thurs) mid-day and received it 9/24 (Sat) via USPS. It was shipped from Seattle, WA to Dayton, OH. Very quick turn around I believe. As far as the armband goes, your review did it justice. Its an excellent product! Does not slide down arm, fits with Incipio case on it, and strap feels secure. I have pretty large arms too. I have used it the past four days I have had it and I can not say I have had an issue at all. I am able to manage my runs easily in the workout, check to see how far I have gone, change songs ( I dont have wireless headphones ), etc. It just works great! Thanks for the suggestion on the armband! I was very close to buying one of those cheap ones off of amazon that have the plastic on the front. Very glad I did some research before I purchased it. Thanks again HorsePony!

BuckyN8

Reaction score
Thanks HorsePony for the pics! I'm in the same boat being a competitive bodybuilder. All the arm bands I've had for my OG Droid would cut off circulation when I was working out. I had to keep readjusting the band as my workout progressed. I switched to a clip style holster for workouts but it can get in the way of some exercises. I usually wait for the 3rd party companies to come out with "cheap" versions of gear but I may have to splurge on this one. Thanks!

My arms are about 15 inches and this armband does not cut circulation or feel harsh during workouts or runs. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

HorsePony

Reaction score
Hey Bucky!
Dude, SO glad that 1: my review helped someone out but, more importantly, 2: as everyone is different, I'm glad that my positive feedback on the armband translated to you equally as well! One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that...

But yeah, it's kinda freaky how this somewhat flimsy-looking armband ends up pretty much being the best one I've ever owned, for stability, security, and accessibility. Awesome, huh? :)

BuckyN8

Reaction score
Yeah it is pretty awesome! Thats why I love fourms! It takes the error out on products that you are looking to buy. Thanks again, and hopefully this thread will help others out as well.