Good set of bluetooth headphones?

rocketpod23

Reaction score
What's up guys? I'm looking for a good pair of bluetooth headphones for running/gym. I cuurently have a Droid X, and I just slide it into an old Zune arm band, to use regular 3.5mm headphones.

Well, I preordered a Note 2, and will be wanting to use it in the same way. I haven't seen any arm band that would work for this giant phone, and if one did exist I can't imagine wearing it on my arm. So now I'm looking for a decent bluetooth headphone set.

I have been looking on Amazon, and reading reviews. You know how that can be. A certain item will get great reviews from some, and then others will say its the worst thing they've ever used. What I want is a set that will be durable to sweat, stay on my head while I run, get loud, good battery life, and good range. I figured this might be a good place to ask. I don't mind dropping some $ on a set as long as they will meet my needs. Not really concerned with phone call function, but certainly wouldn't mind it.

If you guys have any recommendations I would love to hear em'. Thanks

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I use Moto s305 in the gym, moving theyard etc. They sound good, pair easily with a pretty good distance range, and have held up to lots of sweating and abuse

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm right happy with my Jaybird Bluetooth ones for sweaty times. They are in ear, fit well, sound very nice and are warranted lifetime against sweat penetration.
Real world battery life is about 6 hours of music, range is about 30'. I use Power Amp music player on my devices (Rezound, Tab 10.1, Nexus7) and have a profile set just for them because the bass is very mellow when set to flat(no tonal increase) because of its design to enhance vocals and instruments

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
R

rocketpod23

Reaction score
Mountain, are you talking about the Earbud version? Or headphone version? Have looked at them both. For some reason ear buds rarely stay in my ears when I run. I've been cursed with oddly shapen ear canals I guess.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I've tried 6 different pairs of Bluetooth headphones over the last few years. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks. I've yet to find the perfect pair, although there are a couple of new pairs that I haven't tried. I've had 2 pair of Jabras that clip to your shirt or hang from your neck, and then utilize any set of 3.5 headphones. These both worked well but you still had to deal with wires, I found they wouldn't really get loud. These could also be used for any speaker system that had a 3.5 aux. connection. Also, you could use a high quality set of headphones if you wanted.

The next pair I had were the Jaybird Freedoms, they sounded the best, but only lasted about 6 weeks and were expensive. I know they claim a 1 year warranty, but I jumped through hoops for a couple of months and eventually gave up on ever getting them replaced. The connection was good and the fit was ok, they would fall out of my right ear sometimes. I later got a pair of Outdoor Tags that were almost exactly the same but $30 cheaper (I was able to use the ear pieces and charger from the Freedoms). Both of these were by far the best sounding and would get very loud.

Next I had/have a pair of backbeats, these fit really well because they slip behind the ear, they sound good, and have lasted for quite a while. I can wear these for hours without even noticing they are there. The big drawback with these is the connection is poor, if I'm walking and turn my head they skip, or I pick up or move my phone they skip. I still use them regularly when sitting at my desk.

Finally I recently bought a pair of Motorolas, I don't recall the model number, but they are black and red and sit on the back of your neck. These sound ok, and can sometimes feel bulky, especially while wearing a coat with a collar. The high point for these is the connection, they never skip and hold a connection farther than all the others. Once I noticed a crackling sound but I disconnected and reconnected them and it went away. The sound is on par with the backbeats. The problem I have with these is the fit, they stay in place well, but they are bulky and after about 60-90 minutes begin to feel uncomfortable on my ear.

Please note that some of these were purchased well over a year ago or more. The issues I'm complaining about may have been corrected in later models. The phones used with most of these sets were an HTC Touch Pro 2, a Thunderbolt, and a Galaxy S3.

Best sounding : Jaybird Freedoms/Outdoor tags
Best fit : backbeats
Best connection: Motorola
Best functionality: Jabra Clipper

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm sure there are things I've forgotten.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I am going to bring this thread back up. I am looking into getting a set and wondering what would be a decent set in the $30-$40 range.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread as I have had an issue with Bluetooth headphones maximum volume being too low to even be functional for my routine. I, essentially, need Bluetooth headphones that can tune out a lawnmower. It's loud, I know, but that's my requirement.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll be watching this thread as I have had an issue with Bluetooth headphones maximum volume being too low to even be functional for my routine. I, essentially, need Bluetooth headphones that can tune out a lawnmower. It's loud, I know, but that's my requirement.
Those ones I posted, I use them to snowblow in the winter and mow/weed eat in the summer. I do like to hear the engine a bit, but I also don't run the headphones at full volume, so they might help your use needs. Sound quality is good at high volume. On par or a bit better than the standard Samsung earbuds.