Any Word on Global (GSM) Support

BenB

Reaction score
I have noticed that GSM support is not listed on the facts sheet. Can anyone confirm whether or not this has global roaming capabilities?

OP
B

BenB

Reaction score
Uh Oh. Another factor to reconsider. I don't see how this phone wouldn't have it seeing as how the Photon and the other Droids do... especially given it's size. Is the LTE chip really that big?

Thanks for clarifying, Arkbird.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well they did say the device is exclusive to Verizon so maybe that's why they chose not to include global radios. Maybe 3G CDMA + GSM+4G LTE radios would kill the battery. But yeah sorry, not global 4G LTE device on Verizon yet.

MichaelD

Reaction score
FCC Cover Letter

While reviewing the FCC cover letter in early August (seems like eons ago), I seem to recall seeing that it had WCDMA + GSM radios in addition to the CDMA+LTE radios we need for VZW, however they (the former) were disabled via Firmware & a SIM-Lock.
Other than the one mention on the FCC cover letter, I can't recall seeing international capabilities mentioned anywhere.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
While reviewing the FCC cover letter in early August (seems like eons ago), I seem to recall seeing that it had WCDMA + GSM radios in addition to the CDMA+LTE radios we need for VZW, however they (the former) were disabled via Firmware & a SIM-Lock.
Other than the one mention on the FCC cover letter, I can't recall seeing international capabilities mentioned anywhere.
Are you sure this wasn't the D3? I mean minus the LTE radio, everything you said describes the D3. It's even firmware locked to not be able to connecto to any USA GSM networks.

MichaelD

Reaction score
From
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1489049
This equipment is a Digital CDMA800/1900 portable transceiver. It employs EVDO data transissions in the networks and contains 2.4 GHz Bluetooth and WiFi functions (part 15.247). This unit also operates in LTE Band 13, 700 MHz.It is connected to a computer via a USB connection. (Part 15B). The WCDMA/GSM network functions have been disabled by the firmware and are SIM locked by all US operators on this product.
This is part of the Targa FCC set of documents https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=805726&fcc_id='IHDT56MX1'

The wording on the cover letter is quite vague, but the way I read the verbiage is that it has the WCMDA/GSM radios, however they've gone to great length to make sure we can't use them.

kratt

Reaction score
Bionic

I have noticed that GSM support is not listed on the facts sheet. Can anyone confirm whether or not this has global roaming capabilities?

The bionic has the mdm6600 baseband chip which supports gsm and cdma (same chip in the verizon iphone and the global Moto Droid Pro, see ifixit tear downs). There have been pictures and posts in other threads and forums which someone has a picture of a moto bionic on a gsm network (could be fake who knows). The info in the fcc docs may confirm that it can be used on gsm with some coding magic

Last edited: