Any Droid Owners Eligible for Upgrade?

Seattle1980

Reaction score
I called Verizon Customer Service to sort out some billing issues and at the end of the call she told me I was eligible for an upgrade (2-year discounted pricing) on any new smart phone. I got my Droid the first day it came out, but it seems a little early for me to be eligible. Even the rep didn't know why I was. I'm sticking with my Droid for now, but thought it was pretty sweet that I could upgrade already. Anyone else eligible already?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I just checked my account online and I am also eligible for a phone upgrade. However, that is because of how I got my Droid last November. I bought it on my wife's number and transferred it to me. She has the primary number, so we got the NE2 discount for the Droid. I am now eligible to replace my Droid with whatever, but she is not eligible for a new phone for another 11 months. She could get a new phone on my number, but then we would both have to wait at least 11 months to get new phones.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Ya that was totally my bad, I for some reason looked at the wrong link... what I meant to post up was this:

Some Verizon Customers Targeted for Really Early Smartphone Upgrade | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I'm not sure this is that great of a deal. Here are the 2 requirements that I think are a problem, assuming I am reading them correctly.

- Contract end dates will be extended 24 months.
- Device eligibility dates and NE2 will be extended 20 months.

This is the way that I interpret that: I got my Droid November of 2009. My contract end date is November 2011. If I were to take this deal then my new contract end date would be November 2013. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date was 20 months after November 2009, or July 2011. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date will now be March 2013.

It makes no difference to me, as there are no phones out currently that I like better than my Droid. If my thinking is correct, that would take you out a long time before you can get a 4G phone when they come out.

Jizzylax

Reaction score
From what I've read, if your contract was set to expire sometime in 2010, they sent out an early upgrade offer to you.

jamko101

Reaction score
From what I've read, if your contract was set to expire sometime in 2010, they sent out an early upgrade offer to you.

Ya but most Droid owners don't have an upgrade until 2011, so its odd they are allowing a SUPER early upgrade. But I'm with OldFart there, I don't want to upgrade until they get out a decent 4G phone, which should be around 2011, which is when I upgrade dancedroid

SergeantDroid

Reaction score

Not totally true. My contract ends November 2010 but my NE2 is July 2011. Don't know why it is different. I have tried calling to get the deal with no success.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Ya that was totally my bad, I for some reason looked at the wrong link... what I meant to post up was this:

Some Verizon Customers Targeted for Really Early Smartphone Upgrade | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I'm not sure this is that great of a deal. Here are the 2 requirements that I think are a problem, assuming I am reading them correctly.

This is the way that I interpret that: I got my Droid November of 2009. My contract end date is November 2011. If I were to take this deal then my new contract end date would be November 2013. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date was 20 months after November 2009, or July 2011. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date will now be March 2013.

It makes no difference to me, as there are no phones out currently that I like better than my Droid. If my thinking is correct, that would take you out a long time before you can get a 4G phone when they come out.

Not true

It's 2 years (Contract) and 20 Months (NE2) from the date you upgrade, not from the end of your existing contract.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Not true

It's 2 years (Contract) and 20 Months (NE2) from the date you upgrade, not from the end of your existing contract.

Do you know that for a fact from Verizon? Remember, this is not a normal upgrade; it is a special offer. I have not asked Verizon because I am not eligible and don't want another phone right now, but to extend normally means to add on to what currently exists. If you know this for a fact and are not just assuming then fine. However, if you are just assuming, then your answer has no more credibility than mine, as I am also just assuming from what I have read on the offer.

Jer

Reaction score

Not true

Do you know that for a fact from Verizon? Remember, this is not a normal upgrade; it is a special offer. I have not asked Verizon because I am not eligible and don't want another phone right now, but to extend normally means to add on to what currently exists. If you know this for a fact and are not just assuming then fine. However, if you are just assuming, then your answer has no more credibility than mine, as I am also just assuming from what I have read on the offer.

It's true. In fact there were laws passed some years back regarding this issue by the FCC so that wireless providers can no longer do this. This was a way they would rope people into 8yr contracts w/o them knowing. The law states that the maximum allowable extension is 24mos from the date of upgrade or contract signing or promotion offering and the customer must be made aware verbally. They've grown lax on that last part but the rest of if is adhered to by all the providers.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yep, I received a flyer in the mail yesterday from Verizon. I almost missed it, but on the back cover of the flyer it listed the 4 phone numbers of our family plan and what each number was eligible for. ALL 4 were eligible for early upgrade NOW, even though two of us (my Moto Droid and my daughter's Droid Eris) just purchased our phones in early November when they were first released. Offer expires August 31. I'm REAL tempted, but I'll wait for the froyo OTA update first - which hopefully will be at least a week or two before the end of August. Then I'll make my decision on whether to upgrade to an Incredible or an X - or keep the Droid...

Last edited: