Why did Verizon so badly want me to get rid of my Droid?

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the R2-D2 Droid with a new 2 year agreement. Thats not really odd when you think about it, but considering this was the second time in a year since I got my Droid in February of 2010 that Verizon has told me I'm eligible for an upgrade, it's left me wondering.

I got my first notification in October 2010 and then a second just last week. So I pulled the trigger. Have any other original Droid owners been sent an early eligible discount upgrade? None of the other "dumb" phones on my family plan have been sent an eligible upgrade. Maybe I'm just reading into Verizon's hospitality too much.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
OG Droid here. No pressure to upgrade for me. But the TB is looking sweet.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it's just to keep their more valuable customers happy. Seems the primary account holder on high dollar plans get offered annual upgrades. Sounds like they didn't offer you multiple upgrades but reminded you that you were eligible.

Although it seems a bit fast on the offer, about 8 months after you upgraded. But this costs them money with the subsidy. However, it's in their interest to keep you happy and locked up since people with multiple lines (even if dumb phones) is a significant loss if they take their business elsewhere.

donzz

Reaction score
You must be special because I can't do anything until my contract expires in August. :)

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
You must be special because I can't do anything until my contract expires in August. :)

Not really. I was contacted by Verizon about an early upgrade for one of my phones - I have a family plan - and like an earlier poster noted, the HTC Thunderbolt is looking very attractive, however I need to see exactly what it'll cost me up front, before deciding.

-Mike

Detonation

Reaction score
They like to keep you under contract for as long as possible when you're on a smartphone plan.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Also received a couple of texts notifying me that I can upgrade the main line after 1 year.

X2 on the TB.

OP
praw0jazdy

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
Sounds like they didn't offer you multiple upgrades but reminded you that you were eligible.

The October offer was good for one week, ending 10/31/10 when I received the flier in the mail. The February offer was sent to me via text message on 2/15/10 and expired today.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If it did expire today, then no big deal. Nothing I want, wish I could just update the display on my original Droid.