Have to give back my Droid?

Tinkerbell

Reaction score
My husband & I had a similar problem a couple years ago. You need to get in touch with the highest ranking person you can, distric manager, Supervisor, area manager. You need to talk to someone that has the power to do something, sales reps can only do so much. But get ahold of a higher up and push the issue the longer you've been with Verizon the better. We have been with them for 10 years since they started as Airtouch. We got the Dist. Manager to give us each phones at 1/2 the price, cases, & charges free. I can't guarantee you will but you should be able to get them to help in some way. Good Luck! :motdroidhoriz:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ugh, this bothers me soo much. This is why I have to do proper research and really KNOW what my plan is and keep track of it because Verizon reps don't know what they are doing sometimes. I feel like their so eager to sell you something so they get more commission. Always always ask them questions, The lady that sold me my droid almost did some strange things to my account until I started to ask questions and made her second guess herself. Always ask why, and how much etc...

Anyway definitely contact someone do NOT allow them to steal an early termination fee when they were the ones telling you, that you are eligible. I hate to say it but I think you should ***** big time (it's not something I like to do, but if I'm getting ripped off I'm going to *****). Ask them to speak with someone higher etc...

They won't be stealing an ETF from him, its in his contract. Just like anyone elses. The upgrading has nothing to do with that. He wanted to switch from a family plan to a single plan, sucks that you get charged an ETF for it, but thats how it works.

Maybe so, but from my undertsanding the only reason he switched plans was because they said he was eligible. And the fact that the verizon rep failed to realize their mistake has caused this very costly mess. The verizon rep should have known that the op wasn't eligible and that changing plans would create the situation the op is in now. So I dont believe the OP should be at fault and have to pay any fee.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Like I said..he entered in to an extended contract with Verizon at the store. You cannot go behind the scenes and manipulate a contract and then notify someone that changes have been made once both parties have agreed. It is called a breach of contract.

OP
H

helter

Reaction score
From what I was told on the phone, I could return the Droid and go back to the old contract. Of course, Verizon has a way of trying to get extra money out of you. So we shall see what happens

" If " I return the Droid they are going to owe me a credit for one of the contracts. I shouldn't have to pay for two contracts.
What my bill reads now is $60.00 per month for 1 phone in a family plan and $79.95 for the Droid in a single plan. All they did was remove the second line in the family plan which I was paying $20.00 per month for and was never used to begin with. Verizon seems to acknowlege the mistake but their only solution is to return the Droid and buy it again in February.
Dumb I know, because they are going to have to take a used phone, car phone charger and case back and have an unhappy customer who spent hours having to deal with their mistake.

Last edited:

thelion

Reaction score
From what I was told on the phone, I could return the Droid and go back to the old contract. Of course, Verizon has a way of trying to get extra money out of you. So we shall see what happens

" If " I return the Droid they are going to owe me a credit for one of the contracts. I shouldn't have to pay for two contracts.
What my bill reads now is $60.00 per month for 1 phone in a family plan and $79.95 for the Droid in a single plan. All they did was remove the second line in the family plan which I was paying $20.00 per month for and was never used to begin with. Verizon seems to acknowlege the mistake but their only solution is to return the Droid and buy it again in February.
Dumb I know, because they are going to have to take a used phone, car phone charger and case back and have an unhappy customer who spent hours having to deal with their mistake.

If you return the Droid within 30 days you can cancel the new contract without an ETF and you roll back to your old contract.

Call corporate. They can and will resolve this. If you aren't willing to do that, I can only assume you don't really want the issue resolved.

hanano17

Reaction score

Ok, I think I understand what happened then. Basically they told you that you were eligible for an upgrade, and you wanted your own line and not to be on a family plan. So instead of canceling the family plan, they just set you up with a seperate plan. Sucks that they were vague with you on what was going on. If your contract is up in Feb, you should be getting your New Every Two soon (probably sometime in Dec). You could just check that and see if it is coming up soon and just return the whole sale and go back to your old plan until then, but you'd still have the family plan if you upgraded. When was the last time you used an upgrade of any kind? (Annual or NE2)

To get rid of your family plan, you are going to have to pay an ETF. You could ask what your ETF will be, since you are only 3 months from the end of the contract it might not be very high.

OP
H

helter

Reaction score
Ok, I think I understand what happened then. Basically they told you that you were eligible for an upgrade, and you wanted your own line and not to be on a family plan. So instead of canceling the family plan, they just set you up with a seperate plan. Sucks that they were vague with you on what was going on. If your contract is up in Feb, you should be getting your New Every Two soon (probably sometime in Dec). You could just check that and see if it is coming up soon and just return the whole sale and go back to your old plan until then, but you'd still have the family plan if you upgraded. When was the last time you used an upgrade of any kind? (Annual or NE2)

To get rid of your family plan, you are going to have to pay an ETF. You could ask what your ETF will be, since you are only 3 months from the end of the contract it might not be very high.

The salesperson said I wouldn't get a discount for the Droid ($50.00) because I was switching plans. However, he stated the family plan was completely canceled and I would only have a new single plan to pay for. There was no confusion about this. He simply doesn't know Verizon policies.

OP
H

helter

Reaction score
Call corporate. They can and will resolve this.

I called several numbers today. Direct lines to higher ups. Left message, it would appear everyone is off today unless I hear back from them. Will try again on monday

gdoane

Reaction score

I called several numbers today. Direct lines to higher ups. Left message, it would appear everyone is off today unless I hear back from them. Will try again on monday

I don't get that at all. People in the sales business taking Black Friday off? What are they doing, smoking crack? That's the ONE DAY you'd think every available body in the sales biz would be busting butt!

Man, I hope their roadside assistance works out better than their customer assistance. I'd be waiting until Monday to get a flat tire fixed!

thelion

Reaction score
This is not their regular customer service. This is their executive offices that have nothing to do with sales. They don't actually even handle customer service, really.

gdoane

Reaction score
This is not their regular customer service.

I should hope not! I'm not used to dealing with Verizon and didn't get here by choice but rather merger. My provider of choice was Alltel so I kind of got swept up in the Verizon-Alltel merger.

If I'd have been in the part of Alltel that got sent to AT&T I'd have flat out bailed and went with Sprint or T-Mobile. Probably Sprint because I've been with them before and they've got good outlying coverage, just not quite as good as Verizons but way better than All Territory Terrible.

My work cell is with Nextel because the powers that be like the PTT feature, but the stupid Nextel doesn't work on a lot of the remote areas I work in so I wind up using my personal cell about half the time I'm in the field because the Nextel has gone into paperweight mode.

This is their executive offices that have nothing to do with sales.

Except that without sales their paychecks dry up.

They don't actually even handle customer service, really.

Maybe they should start before they get a bad reputation for not even handling customer service.

thelion

Reaction score
Clearly you are confused.

They have offices for customer service. Those were open yesterday. The offices I directed him to (that did not answer) were offices that include payroll, the CEO, public relations etc etc. Executive offices. Nearly every company shuts down their executive offices on Black Friday.

Of course sales and customer service were open. Don't be silly.

gdoane

Reaction score
Clearly you are confused.

They have offices for customer service. Those were open yesterday. The offices I directed him to (that did not answer) were offices that include payroll, the CEO, public relations etc etc. Executive offices. Nearly every company shuts down their executive offices on Black Friday.

Of course sales and customer service were open. Don't be silly.

Yeah, I guess I am confused. I thought Verizon's policy was that everybody in the company was into customer service, and here's the reason why...

A friend of mine, a guy I golf with and go to bars with and such, he's a technician for Verizon and he works on their infrastructure, the towers and such that make the phones work.

I showed him my Droid and his first comment was "Thanks for paying my bonus, buddy!" and then went on to say that Verizon was trying to get everybody, even guys like him that hardly ever see a customer to learn about the Droid and even get one. This is to help customer service because Verizon employees are expected to know Verizon products, even the backbone guys that you never see, know or think about.

I do the same kind of job myself, although I work on a different kind of communications network (public safety, 911 type stuff based on Motorola Smartzone gear) and I rarely see customers but I know for a fact that the minute I tell my boss I'm not doing customer service I'll be shown the door.

Everybody in a business that serves customers needs to do customer service and take it seriously. Especially these days when businesses are dropping like flies.

OP
H

helter

Reaction score

Well I got a hold of a higher up today. They took care of the problem and I am keeping the Droid:icon_ banana:

The person I spoke to though said I didn't follow the esculation process by going straight to her( the top) to resolve the issue.:rolleyes:
Like I wanted to spend a week talking to a lot of supervisors.:mad:

But over all I am very happy and like someone stated earlier if you speak to the right person you can get the issue resolved