Any downside to Google Voice?

mitchb2

Reaction score
I'm moving soon and will need to get a new cell phone number.
I was thinking about taking that opportunity to switch to Google Voice.
I'm reading about the features now.

Any reason not to do it?

iPirate

Reaction score
So with the new release and "direct dial" where all of your contacts have a phone number, I think the days of getting free calls are over. If everyone has a preset number then they defeats the purpose of adding that # to your friends and family and getting "free" calls.

I could be wrong but this is how I read it...

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Ooooh, I see what you're saying. So if you have Verizon and you can call other Verizon users for free, a Google Voice number would defeat this?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So with the new release and "direct dial" where all of your contacts have a phone number, I think the days of getting free calls are over. If everyone has a preset number then they defeats the purpose of adding that # to your friends and family and getting "free" calls.

I could be wrong but this is how I read it...

yea the new update will change the number that you call with - wont always be the same now

Ooooh, I see what you're saying. So if you have Verizon and you can call other Verizon users for free, a Google Voice number would defeat this?

yea but you can always buy a plan with lower minutes and use the unlimited data to call people with

i also have my vmail sent to GV so that i can have it transcribed. not the most accurate but still beats calling and listening to that annoying lady (you can also have it played in the GV app)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if you have the old apk then its worth it

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
"yea the new update will change the number that you call with - wont always be the same now"

So then to the person you're calling it will be an unrecognized number?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm moving soon and will need to get a new cell phone number.

? you do know that carriers have to let you port your number(s). There are no longer restrictions for cell numbers. You can keep your current cell number the rest of your life from one provider to another and from city to city. With the prevalence of cell phones (i.e. no long distance charges) there's no need to get a 'new'/local number.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
I didn't realize I could keep the number. I assumed I needed to have a number in the area code where I'm billed. Good to know.

My friend just texted me and says Google Voice is VoIP and doesn't use any of your minutes.

EvilDobe

Reaction score
I've been using GV since, almost, the beginning and even had it on my old Storm. The only thing you need to do is be aware of what number GV is using to dial out (a white bubble pops up right before you connect the call and tells you what number is being dialed out) so you can update your VZW settings on the web. Just add that number to your Friends/Family list and you should be set with "free" calls. I'm glad I moved over to GV & have no intention of ever using my "real" number again.

I also turn off the SMS to my phone so I don't get two texts & use GV as my text app. Over the last year or so I've only had a few instances where GV freaked out & couldn't make a call but it only lasted a few minutes & was back up with no qualms.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Just add that number to your Friends/Family list and you should be set with "free" calls.

Okay that makes sense.

Someone earlier in the thread said that it's changed and now uses a different number each time it calls. Are you not seeing that?

hookerdj

Reaction score
they are just silly and dont know what they are talking about trust me i use it every day and it still comes up my number...
Just add that number to your Friends/Family list and you should be set with "free" calls.

Okay that makes sense.

Someone earlier in the thread said that it's changed and now uses a different number each time it calls. Are you not seeing that?

Reaction score
I think there are two things getting mixed up here, the GV app function and then GV itself. If you used to use the app for outgoing calls then it will now call a random number to make your outbound call but if you dial your own GV number and make the call then you are good. You also can set GV to ring to your phone with your GV number as the Caller ID through the regular phone so if you have a family plan and you can add your GV number to one of your 10 free numbers or one of your 5 free numbers on a single plan, then you should be good.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's always used minutes and never been free unless you had it on a friends & family plan or something.

So I have to get that VoIP all set to go. I've had it work, but can't get it to work on Gizmo and haven't been able to get free outbound through Sipgate - just a question of the wrong settings in Sipcorcery but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure Google will eventually roll out free VoIP that works great, but the question is when.