Any downside to Google Voice?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
From my interpretation of the blog post, previously your phone would send the number you wanted to call to the Google Voice call server, your phone would call the access number, the server identified your phone, and connected you with the recipient via GV point-to-point land-line tunnel. Now, GV does the initial unique number assignment & pulldown, remembers it, and dials that as the access number every time you call with GV, resulting in suqsequently shorter connection times and no need for a data connection.
That's my interpretation as well but it's not what I'm seeing. 0.4 still seems to use the same access numbers for all outbound calls.

DigiK

Reaction score
That's my interpretation as well but it's not what I'm seeing. 0.4 still seems to use the same access numbers for all outbound calls.

Hey Takeshi,

After I initially installed v.4 and did some testing, I was actually seeing GV call a different number for each contact which concurs with what the blog stated. To gain some more insight as to what's happening, you might want to do some calling with GV while monitoring with aLogCat.

With GVMyNumber, I'm seeing a number redirect to 267 507 4000 early in the call process; BUT this is happening after the connection/handshake, because my GV# is showing up each and every time when I check my Verizon online call activity.

Based on this information, if you go and check your carrier call records, I think you're going to see different access numbers appearing if you're not using GVMyNumber. I'll be interested to hear what you find.

Cheers.

DigiK

Reaction score
To sum it up, I think the safest thing GV users who want to maintain free calling can do right now is to just use GVMyNumber and add their GV# to FnF. It's literally a 10 second max connection time.

Apologies to the OP for derailing this thread so hard. :icon_eek:

interndom

Reaction score
Hey if you want the OLD google voice version without DIRECT ACCESS NUMBERS, donate 1 dollar to [email protected]

I have the old version backed up and you could be like me making free phone calls still!

jrides

Reaction score
DigiK for IL Governor.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Based on this information, if you go and check your carrier call records, I think you're going to see different access numbers appearing if you're not using GVMyNumber.
Nope. It's exactly as I stated.

I have noticed in various threads on GV 0.4 that some have stated that the app was using unique access numbers but then went back to the old method of using a single access number.

DigiK

Reaction score
Nope. It's exactly as I stated.

I have noticed in various threads on GV 0.4 that some have stated that the app was using unique access numbers but then went back to the old method of using a single access number.

Sure... previous to the Google's change back to a single access number a few days ago, unique access numbers were appearing in my Verizon call activity list. That's no longer the issue thanks to all of our vocal complaints, but I still think there's some value in using GVMyNumber, since it ensures the access number doesn't change even if you travel to a different region.