Any big issues with new update if rooted?

Randy72560

Reaction score
I have my S4 rooted using towel root, but I honestly dont do much of anything I need it rooted for. I was just bored. I do use my phone as a hotspot daily, using the paid Foxfi app.

I've put off grabbing the new verison update that was pushed oout a week or so ago, just to make sure there wasn't anything I needed to do before i update.

On my old phone, I had an paa that temp Un-rooted the phone, then after an update Id hit a button and it would be rooted agiain Not sure if I should do that ? Or even what that app was?

Thanks!

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
The best method for rooting the S4 is with towelroot. There is no method to straight up root the latest update recently pushed. The directions out there are for using some modified components of the previous and current firmwares, which require multiple flashes. I did that and experienced issues with random reboots. In the end, I did a factory reset and reflashed with the latest factory firmware.

Also, there have been many reports of random reboots after updating, which requires a factory reset to resolve.

If you are happy with the way things are, I wouldn't upgrade. I haven't found any benefit to it and will probably be downgrading, so I can get a successful root again.

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
Ok great, gladI checked here first, and thank you for the information. I'm happy the way it is.

But I keep getting a daily pop up reminder to update, and it gives me an option to delay 12 to 24 hours, then I have to postpone again. Is there a way to stop the update prompt from showing up?

gvrider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
If you are running Titanium Backup, you can freeze the system app titled "Software Update MUC". This will stop the phone from checking for updates, which will in turn stop the OTA messages.